Do you get sick easier now that you've lost weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I get cold easier, but get sick less. And when I do get sick, it is less severe.

I feel like staying really well hydrated has a big impact. Things - mucus and such - flow better, thus speeding up recovery. Probably just my perception, but I'll take it.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    almost ursine insouciance..

Love it!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I actually get less often sick and when I do I get recovered a lot faster.

To know, I have lost weight by changing to a more healthy lifestyle and this reflects a lot in my sickness. I also have a low weight loss goal (only 500 calories a day, for 1 lbs per week) and I feel my 1750 calories with nutricious foods.

The ideea is you can be both skinny and fat, and this get sick often. A proper lifestyle should prevent getting sick. And a proper lifestyle doesn't mean only eating and getting your nutrients. For example, the most nutricious food on earth won't prevent you from having a cold if you don't wear the proper clothes in freezing winter.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I find that I am healthier overall, actually.
    But, I AM cold more often... and also a cheap date (didn't see that one coming!).

Strangely, I run hotter these days especially just after training. :o)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I find that I am healthier overall, actually.
    But, I AM cold more often... and also a cheap date (didn't see that one coming!).

Strangely, I run hotter these days especially just after training. :o)

Same here. What's with the wearing sweaters in July business? You're all dieting yourself into anemia and illness. I haven't gotten sick in over a year, and I'm finally (after 7 years) getting used to Midwest winters! ...Still hate them, of course, but they're tolerable now.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Im cold waaaayyyyy easier. Funny I'm freezing after i cool down from a hard workout. It's like i can't get warm enough. :(

I wonder if its more the weight-loss tho. Im missing insulation!! Not that i want it back mind you.

As far as getting sick - no. I've always been pretty healthy.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I finally ended up sick (after 3 years) earlier this month with 2 strains of the stomach flu one right after the other (comes with having a kiddo and husband I guess :laugh: )

In all honesty though, the biggest thing I have noticed illness wise has been my asthma has gotten worse. When I was 18 or 19, I was tested and was put onto a rescue inhaler. After losing weight and 6 years later, I am now on a control inhaler and a rescue inhaler, which sucks but that is what it is.

When i don't weight lift, my joints start to act up but that is because my muscles were getting stronger. And I am always cold, but yet again it has been extremely cold outside as of late. :ohwell:
  • johnny7625
    Options
    I feel healthier and stronger I also exercise 5 to 6 days per week
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I rarely get sick now. I eat a ton of healthy food and exercise a lot, so I'm constantly sweating out the sickness. And when I do get sick, it is much less severe and lasts much less longer than before.

I actually have a cold right now but that is because my baby had a cold and has been sneezing and coughing in my face. But my cold is so mild, I am barely affected.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I rarely fall sick now actually. I lose my weight not only through diet but exercise at the gym regularly. Think the latter has a lot to do with my improved health status.

I do feel cold most of time and I don't like hard seats now...
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I get colder much easier now but getting sick is still the same. I averaged getting sick 1-2x a year in the past and it's still the same now.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    No, I get sick less often now that I'm a healthy weight and am paying more attention to nutrition. People who are getting sick more often with weight loss may want to consider that they are losing too much, too fast and/or sacrificing nutrition to keep their calories lower (for example, I bet this is a common problem for people who follow fad diets that require eliminating entire food groups). Any kind of stressor has a profound impact on immune function, and rapid weight loss and elimination of essential nutrients are both stressors.