Missing chinese food . . mock fried rice?

Options
hate cauliflower. I know how to make the mock mashed potatoes with cauliflower but someone told me if you shred the cauliflower and fry it, it will taste just like fried rice. Anyone ever hear of this? I miss chinese food :(

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My guess is it will taste just like fried shredded cauliflower, with whatever other ingredients you want to put in your fried cauliflower.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I ate homemade fried rice all the time while losing weight-one serving of rice is like 150 calories, which isn't bad at all. Add some veggies (I always do mushrooms, carrots, onion, and bell pepper), with a scrambled egg and if you feel like it- peas, and you have a great (big!) meal for under 500 calories :) I always add a few splashes of soy sauce and then garlic pepper blend and salt.

Now I'm in maintenance and have more calories to play with, so I'll add 6-8 ounces of boneless pork, cubed, into it-so good! If you have enough calories I'd definitely recommend adding some pork (I pan cook it with the veggies).
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just go get some Chinese food? It's not going to kill you.

Rigger
  • fsfriedrich1
    Options
    This recipe was taken from Sandy's Kitchen for use in the Medifast 5 & 1 plan so if you're not on that plan, disregard the lean, green and condiment sizes. I use fresh cauliflower that I grate but the writer uses frozen.

Shrimp or Chicken Fried "Rice"

Ingredients:
    2-3/4 cup grated cauliflower (5.75 Green)
    1/4 cup green onion, chopped (.25 Green)
    1 clove garlic, minced (1 Condiment)
    1/4 tsp ginger (.5 Condiment)
    1 tbsp plus 1 and 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce or a mixture of Soy Sauce and Teriyaki Sauce (4.5 Condiments)
    3 eggs beaten (1 Lean)
    7 oz shrimp, cooked or 6 oz chicken, cooked and cubed (1 Lean)
    Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
    1 tsp olive oil - if using chicken or 2 tsp olive oil - if using shrimp

Directions:
    I reserved 1 tsp of the soy sauce and marinated my shrimp in it for a few hours. This is optional but it helps give the meat some flavor. Cook eggs in skillet sprayed with a little bit of Pam. Scramble eggs until done, but still moist. Set aside. In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil if using chicken or 2 tsp olive oil if using shrimp over medium high heat. Fry minced garlic with finely diced white part of onions for approximately 1 minute. Add grated cauliflower and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add soy sauce, ginger, diced green onion tops, pre-cooked meat, and eggs. Stir to mix well and until browned a bit. Makes 2 servings. Sprinkle red pepper flakes very lightly over the top (optional). Stores and re-heats beautifully.

2 Complete Lean and Green Meals with 3 Condiments and all healthy fats per serving
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you can't eat Chinese food? An allergy or something? If not, why not just get some Chinese food. Control your portions, save the leftovers, and just enjoy it! There's no reason to make yourself miserable to lose weight. You'll only end up sabotaging yourself.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Rigger

It may not kill you, but you or I will probably be hungry 30 mins later, and that IS dangerous for weight loss ;)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    fried rice prefers not to be mocked.

just eat less and still continue to succeed!
  • miamouse3
    miamouse3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Its okay to cheat now and then. If anything, thats dieting responsibly. If you feel deprived, dieting will never work. Get yourself some chinese, just don't over eat, and be mindful about what you get. Fried rice will be okay. Don't do it all the time, but schedule yourself some cheat days so you have a day you can eat what you want. Lol I wouldn't gorge yourself that day, though, because you don't want to eat back all the calorie deficits you made in the week.
    If its something you want regularly, just make your own healthy recipe. Rice is actually rather good for you. Just watch what you put in it. Other than rice, theres lots of veggies you could do. Just balance your calories if you know you want it on that day. You'd be surprised at what you can eat while you diet. Use the recipe thing on here and input your recipe, and see how it fairs.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "just eat it crowd". Just eat a little and it'll be okay! When I'm craving something and try to "fake it" it just makes my craving way worse.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Rigger

^This. And no, it's not dangerous for weight loss. Everything in moderation.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    fried rice prefers not to be mocked.

just eat less and still continue to succeed!

beautiful. :laugh:
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I've learned this time around, if I'm craving it, have it, but in smaller portions. I was craving pizza this week, and well I had a pizza but it took 3 or 4 days to get it eaten.

I'm missing Chinese food myself and probably will treat myself to that next month.....

Every single time I have tried to eliminate foods and restrict foods from my dieting I have failed.....
  • RevWirth
    RevWirth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Go to Chinese Restaurant. Order fried rice. It will be OK.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cauliflower but can't imagine using it as a substitute for rice. Sounds terrible. Go for the rice!
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    I eat Asian food all the time, including fried rice. I don't order general tso's, or any of the fried and sugar-sauced stuff. Do like chicken and asparagus, shrimp and mixed vegetables, eggrolls, soups etc.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat rice?

I make homemade fried rice, and it is very healthy:

Diced onion and garlic
    Frozen mixed veggies
    Diced chicken breast
    Egg
    Brown Rice
    Soy sauce
    Ginger paste

Quick and easy and contributes nicely to balanced macros.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Eat some Chinese, I just stay away from the breaded and deep fried stuff and anything with a syrupy sweet sauce. And drink lots of water to flush out the sodium.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    hate cauliflower. I know how to make the mock mashed potatoes with cauliflower but someone told me if you shred the cauliflower and fry it, it will taste just like fried rice. Anyone ever hear of this? I miss chinese food :(
    Why miss it? It's not "poison." Make a calorie allotment for it and have some. If chinese food was so bad, then the majority of chinese should be obese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I made at-home takeout tonight! Here's what I do:

Make sauce (this is for two people, scale as needed):
    2 tbsp of brown sugar, fish sauce or soy sauce, rice vinegar
    2 tsp of sesame oil, red chili paste (check the international aisle of the grocery store)

Mix until blended. You can also add a squeeze of lime juice if you like.

Stir fry veggies and shrimp in a little oil (I find 1 tbsp to be plenty for two people
    Steam rice.

Add rice to stir fry and pour sauce over top.

The sauce comes out to about 80 cal/person (15 g carbs, 3 g fat). It hits my craving spot flavorwise, and because I control portions, added salt, and oil, I can make food that is much more manageable in terms of calories, fat, and sodium than when we order out. Hope this helps!
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're near a Trader Joe's they make a frozen fried rice that is low in calories in their freezer section and without all the sodium and added junk. It's really tasty. Just work the calories and carbs into your daily goals.