Missing chinese food . . mock fried rice?

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Fit real fried rice into your meal plan one day unless there is a medical reason you can't have it. To ensure you know much you are eating, I suggest getting it to go and weighing it at home or making it yourself so you can also control the ingredients. ;)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Did you move to Antarctica or some place where they don't serve chinese food?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Use brown rice or quinoa, steam your veggies that you want to put in it and fry the egg with non-stick spray instead of oil. Mix all of the ingredients together. Go heavier on the veggies if you really want to cut calories but rice isn't horrible for calories. You could even add a grilled or oven roasted chicken breast that you've marinated in teryaki to give it more Asian flavor.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    I have had the cauliflower rice and liked it. Mainly because I do not like white rice and do like cauliflower.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442

In that case it is highly unlikely there will be many Chinese food alternatives available. Should have stocked up on those frozen Chinese box meals.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    What's wrong with Chinese food again? Has China been doing it wrong or something?
  • lc522
    lc522 Posts: 60 Member
    Try making it your self. It will allow you to know exactly what is in your fried rice and let you control the calories while still satisfying your craving. I love skinnytaste's brown fried rice (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/brown-fried-rice.html) and it gives you all the nutritional info and is in the database already for easy tracking!
  • I vote go get some too. I just had some tonight, it was soooo good! :smile:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,867 Member
    A Chinese person would never order fried rice. Fried rice is a treatment for leftovers. Have plain rice.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    1zoeo42.jpg
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    I make my own Chinese food, simply because I find the restaurant stuff greasy and expensive. It's not even real Chinese cuisine, anyway, mind you.

Personally, I take 150g cooked wholegrain rice, 100g peas, 1 egg, a bunch of leftover chicken breast cut into bits, dice some onion and whack it all in a pan with spray oil and a bit of soy sauce.
    Failing that, a chicken stir fry complete with noodles only clocks about 300 calories.

Or, just eat a little of what you want now and again. We all do it, there's no need to feel guilty.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Chinese food all tastes the same to me. Moo goo kung pao gai can mooshi-san. I don't know, it's all the same to me. It can't be much harder to make than to throw some day old veggies, day old rice and a scrambled egg into a skillet then douse with soy sauce, can it?
  • Did you move to Antarctica or some place where they don't serve chinese food?

lol..no. I guess I always thought fried rice was fattening. I've never tried making it at home but since I'm hearing that it's not bad, I might as well let the professionals make it for me :D. I haven't eaten fried rice in moderation any time I can remember. I'll have to just pay attention to how much is going into my mouth. Thanks for all your comments.
  • Chinese food all tastes the same to me. Moo goo kung pao gai can mooshi-san. I don't know, it's all the same to me. It can't be much harder to make than to throw some day old veggies, day old rice and a scrambled egg into a skillet then douse with soy sauce, can it?
    thats what I'm reading and I'm getting hungry!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member

lol..no. I guess I always thought fried rice was fattening. I've never tried making it at home but since I'm hearing that it's not bad, I might as well let the professionals make it for me :D. I haven't eaten fried rice in moderation any time I can remember. I'll have to just pay attention to how much is going into my mouth. Thanks for all your comments.

It's the sesame oil used in it that heaps on the fat calories. If every grain of rice is shiny, you know there's a good deal of oil mixed in.
  • invisibubble - that sounds really good! I'm going to make that tomorrow :) Thanks!

jayjay1234565 I've seen lots of shiny rice at chinese restaurants. Didn't know it was the sesame oil.

btw, I live in a very small town in Colorado so there's no trader joes and boxed frozen chinese food is HORRID! :)

now, I've got the rice down....if I could only find a 'healthy' chinese broccoli chicken
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Pretty much anything can be made healthier at home. Google is a blessing, and, of course, your own tweaks and experiments in the kitchen ;)
    Good luck! And if your experiments fail, just have the real thing once in a while. :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Fried rice is super easy to make. Just don't put a ton of oil and butter.
  • AUGH! I'm such a pig!!!!!!!!!! I go to the store and buy a bag of rice. White. I end up steaming it. Makes 2 cups. No butter or oil. Just the water and the rice. So far so good. Had one cup. Think it filled me up? HELL NO! Well, it did but I ate the second cup too. My will power sucks. sucks. sucks. Today anyway.

Ok, on a GOOD note, I'm so full of rice it sounds terrible and I don't want any more for at least a month.

One of you should have been here to hit me up side the head. :)

P.S. it's all good
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    I am planning on making a fried rice dinner tonight. Chicken and a bunch of veggies

Also YUM homemade lemon chicken.