13»

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Which way will this go?

1. Ends in a good troll flaming?

2. Ends in "Why are MFP people so mean?"

But just to toss my 2 cents in....OP.....you should get yourself on a solid strength training plan as focus, running as secondary and eat for goodness sake. You are 20 years old and my guess is that you want the ladies to drool because you're smoking hot. Take a few minutes to read the links provided and learn what you need to learn to be successful. Good luck.

Lol, No. Not interested in "ladies". As I stated earlier, my goal is to essentially get a flat stomach because I can't tolerate looking at my belly fat. It's unattractive and I'm tired of looking like this. Strength training isn't really related to my goals. I'm not looking to get "huge". I just simply want a flat stomach and that's it really. Maybe tone my arms slightly but ultimately a flat stomach is the goal.

Ahhhh my bad in referencing the ladies, but regardless, you still want the same result. And to get that you should be focusing on strength training. Strength training 100% is related to your goals. Ask any of the men with flat stomachs here or anywhere else. Just because you lift weights doesn't mean that you are going to be a bodybuilder. Do some reading and ask some of the men that have physiques that you covet. Most likely they will tell you the same thing. Again, good luck.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would eat 1900 at the minimum. Go ahead with your cardio goals, but add in some calisthenics to work your abs. Even if it is only 5 minutes a day. Do some crunches, and start out holding a 1 minute plank. Maybe 20-25 push-ups a day? Do some crunches where you twist your side too, to work your obliques. This should help you get that toned look in your stomach.

You might find that you'd like to add in weights later on.

Above all, have fun. If you are getting burned out running 5 times a week, switch it up.

Oops, meant to say 1900.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Which way will this go?

But just to toss my 2 cents in....OP.....you should get yourself on a solid strength training plan as focus, running as secondary and eat for goodness sake. You are 20 years old and my guess is that you want the ladies to drool because you're smoking hot. Take a few minutes to read the links provided and learn what you need to learn to be successful. Good luck.

Lol, No. Not interested in "ladies". As I stated earlier, my goal is to essentially get a flat stomach because I can't tolerate looking at my belly fat. It's unattractive and I'm tired of looking like this. Strength training isn't really related to my goals. I'm not looking to get "huge". I just simply want a flat stomach and that's it really. Maybe tone my arms slightly but ultimately a flat stomach is the goal.

Ahhhh my bad in referencing the ladies, but regardless, you still want the same result. And to get that you should be focusing on strength training. Strength training 100% is related to your goals. Ask any of the men with flat stomachs here or anywhere else. Just because you lift weights doesn't mean that you are going to be a bodybuilder. Do some reading and ask some of the men that have physiques that you covet. Most likely they will tell you the same thing. Again, good luck.

I see.. But wait, can you explain how strength training helps you get a flat stomach? I thought getting a flat stomach is solely possible by dieting and doing cardio. Where does strength training come in?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Which way will this go?

I see.. But wait, can you explain how strength training helps you get a flat stomach? I thought getting a flat stomach is solely possible by dieting and doing cardio. Where does strength training come in?

So there are a couple of things here. First is that the strength training helps you to retain your lean muscle mass while you are dieting. When you are eating so little (as you have or had intended on doing) you will lose WEIGHT which includes muscle. Ultimately you want to lose FAT. Eating appropriate amounts of protein, eating in a slight deficit (because you don't have much to lose) and doing strength training will encourage this. Cardio absolutely serves a purpose, and I'm not saying don't do it but only cardio and deficit will give you a flat stomach that is more soft looking while doing strength training and losing fat will give a flat stomach that is more defined and solid. Just because you lift weights doesn't mean you have to be huge. Not at all. You have to train a specific way to get big like some guys are. The other thing is that you can't spot reduce. So while you have this one goal in mind, rarely does your body cooperate with that one goal off the top. So while you're putting all the hard work in, why not make it more beneficial overall rather than just focus on one component. I hope this explains a bit better and good luck to you.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    if you do cardio you release weight but if you combine cardio and weights you release weight and tone.. so you can work on having lean strong muscles . at least thats worked for me. im working on my last 31 pounds..

thanks for all the insights.. im learning so much from this site.
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    .05lb a week is way too slow
    It's not really up to you, tho, is it? Your body decides how slow or fast it will be. If you think it's a decision you can make how fast it will be, you're doomed.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Which way will this go?

Dude. Trust me. You are not going to get huge. I get that you want the 'emo' look -that's fine. But no one gets HUGE with lifting unless they put in years of work and maybe use some chemical assistance as well.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Did you mean 0.5 lbs a week? 'cause yeah, 0.05lb per week is really slow. LOL
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Which way will this go?

Dude. Trust me. You are not going to get huge. I get that you want the 'emo' look -that's fine. But no one gets HUGE with lifting unless they put in years of work and maybe use some chemical assistance as well.

Girl don't you know about the magical bulk fairy who visits you at night the minute you start lifting?
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    It's not really up to you, tho, is it? Your body decides how slow or fast it will be. If you think it's a decision you can make how fast it will be, you're doomed.

I couldn't agree more. your body will do things in its time .. all you can control is your choices in food, exercise and water.. your body will take care of itself.. i know on my journey its been a love hate of ups and downs, but you just have to keep moving forward.its not always easy, but it is worth it.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Which way will this go?

Girl don't you know about the magical bulk fairy who visits you at night the minute you start lifting?

1zu6vq.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Which way will this go?

1zu6vq.jpg

:laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Which way will this go?

1zu6vq.jpg

Jorgen_von_Strangle.jpg

Just saying.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my day on my feet when I go to school and work. I picked lightly active for my activity level AND when I go to the gym or work out at home, I add in my work outs. That tells me how much I should eat approximately.

Pick lightly active and then add in your 30 minute work outs.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    140 and you're a male???? Wow, not the look most are going for. Wouldn't you rather get in shape and gain muscle?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Activity level has nothing to do with exercise. It's just for your day-to-day stuff (work, commute, housework, etc.) Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Pick an activity level, give it a couple of weeks, then reevaluate.

Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
    But that doesn't really help me.. I need to be able to choose an activity level. If I spend most of the day sitting, but spend around 30-40 minutes exercising (5 days a week), how active does that make me?

Actually, this is right on for the MFP method. If you sit all day, set MFP to sedentary, and then eat back exercise calories as she suggested. Re-evaluate after a few weeks.

Activity level in MFP is not based on your exercising. It is based on normal, daily activity. Exercise is added in later. At least this worked well for me.

^ This. I am sedentary, but I run marathons. I don't always do the same exercise every day so it wouldn't make sense to say it's a daily activity. Exercise is different than daily activity. So I set myself to sedentary and then add in exercise calories when I earn them. I've been maintaining on this method for three years now. It works.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

.05lb a week is way too slow. I think what I'll do is simply eat 1000 calories maximum a day, while exercising 30+ min cardio 5 days a week. Hopefully that will work. Then again, I'm new to dieting so I don't really understand it entirely, but yeah.

You're going to burn out and fail with that method, and in the process, you'll lose a lot of lean mass and end up weak and scrawny, but still retain the belly you want to lose. Read the link. A little research is worth it. Why put in all the hard work only to fail? We want you to succeed.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Why do people posts threads and then scoff at the advice? *sigh*

Listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. You eat below 1000 cals a day and you'll regret it when you gain the weight back plus some and cry because you have "no idea what you did wrong". 1,000 cals is not sustainable, and though you'll certainly hit your weight goals? Once you start to eat normal again, your body just might balloon. If you eat in the 1800-1900 range and weight train/exercise? You'll not only be able to maintain your "flat stomach"... but you'll have healthy eating habits that doesn't starve your body of what it needs to SURVIVE.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Put yourself on sedentary and log the exercise you actually do. It will earn you extra calories and give you a nice incentive, and you won't eat calories you have't earned.