Stagnating Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Need Advice All Welcome

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Body weigh fluctuates, you should give changes more time to level out.

Also sometimes your body will plateau.

Patience is key.

Are you getting enough nutrients?, I am not sure with eating the same thing everyday.
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    If you're not losing, then you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food or overestimating your burn. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

This.

Whilst it matters to your overall health, your macronutrients don't mean a thing to weight loss. Check out the study done by a doctor who lost weight eating nothing more than twinkies, ho-ho's and dolly madison cream cakes for 90 days. If you are eating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. If you aren't losing weight, then the options are limited to

1. You aren't eating at a calorie deficit.
    2. You are holding water weigh due to sodium intake or a medical condition.
    3. You have an undiagnosed medical condition that is causing you not lose weight or retain water.
  • So i have been accused of posting "inaccurate numbers" for my macros. I will list my diet below:

This was my original post. Some numbers change inconsequentially by brand as I use different grated cheeses and dressings. But no drastic changes.

Calories: 1292 grams
    Carbs: 27 grams
    Protein: 190 grams
    Fat: 51 grams

Shake

Body Fortess Whey 1 scoop
    cal=70
    carbs=7
    protein=30
    fat=2.5

Almond Breeze Almond Coconut milk 8 0z
    cal= 45
    carbs=0
    protein=1
    fat=3.5

Market Basket lettuce 2 cups
    cal=10
    carbs=1
    protein=1
    fat=0

kraft viva italian lively rustic dressing 3 TBSP
    cal=75
    carb=3
    protein=0
    fat=7

Colonna fine grated cheese blend (2 TBSP)
    cal=40
    carbs=0
    protein=4
    fat=3

Market basket skinless boneless breast 8 oz
    cal=220
    carb=0
    protein=46
    fat=8

Market Basket Spaghetti SQUASH (this is not SPAGHETTI!!!) 1 cup cooked
    cal=47
    carb=8
    protein=1
    fat=0

Total
    cal= 1292
    carb=27
    protein=185
    fat=60

Accurate enough? Small, minute, inconsequential revision to protein and fat numbers due to a change in dressing and greated cheese. So lets get off the links to calorie counting. I am doing it very accurately on a daily basis. I spreadsheet everything!!!

BTW - For those who claim my cardio numbers are off, I am going to go on the Lifecycle in a little while and will post the brand and all of the numbers on that as well.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    OP:
    The link was given to you for a reason. You started a thread asking for help and people are giving it to you. Seriously, read that link and all of the links in it. (hint: there is a heck of a lot more in it than you think)

eta:
    Then re-adjust where needed, wait longer than three weeks and see where you are at.
  • If you're not losing, then you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food or overestimating your burn. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

This.

Whilst it matters to your overall health, your macronutrients don't mean a thing to weight loss. Check out the study done by a doctor who lost weight eating nothing more than twinkies, ho-ho's and dolly madison cream cakes for 90 days. If you are eating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. If you aren't losing weight, then the options are limited to

3. You have an undiagnosed medical condition that is causing you not lose weight or retain water.

I am eating at a caloric deficit:

Total calories as posted 1292 calories per day

BMR= 1864
    50 years old, 5'10" 220 pounds
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Factor in 3 cardio days in which 720 calories (at least, as I have done 3 sessions on occassion but always 2) are burned

Factor in 3 weight training days in which 360 calories are burnt from cardio alone and not including the HIT weight training. The HIT weight training should also have a significant metabolic impact as well.
  • OP:
    The link was given to you for a reason. You started a thread asking for help and people are giving it to you. Seriously, read that link and all of the links in it. (hint: there is a heck of a lot more in it than you think)

eta:
    Then re-adjust where needed, wait longer than three weeks and see where you are at.

I am more than willing to listen to good advice. But posting links that my macros are wrong are off point. Are you referring to a different link???

As far as this link goes. I could take away that I am building more muscle and that is why the scale is not going done, but my measurements are improving. But I still have a lot of flab, so I have enough fat stores that should be burning off. Its not like I am close to being lean around the waist and *kitten*. Upper body maybe.

What about water???? Should I scale back or not???
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    What's the point of asking for advice and saying "all welcome" if you're just going to get defensive? People are trying to help you figure out the problem, and yes, it could be that you screwed up your calculations. Happens all the time.

It doesn't matter what the model of the cardio equipment is, cardio machine calorie burn estimates aren't gospel. Most of them are off and some are way off, which is why you see people saying they only eat back 50% of their exercise calories. They are compensating for miscalculations.

I really don't understand why any man would be eating less than 1800 calories per day, even in weight loss. I weigh less than you do and eat more than you do before factoring in exercise calories. I also work out for a whopping 30 minutes a day, and I'm consistently losing. It sounds to me like Mr_Knight is correct, you've completely depleted your glycogen stores by not fueling your body properly. I'm actually kind of amazed that you haven't sustained an injury yet, although the chest pains you were having could be a sign of an issue. Did you see a doctor about that?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    If you're not losing, then you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food or overestimating your burn. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

This.

BMR= 1864

Factor in 3 cardio days in which 720 calories (at least, as I have done 3 sessions on occassion but always 2) are burned

Factor in 3 weight training days in which 360 calories are burnt from cardio alone and not including the HIT weight training. The HIT weight training should also have a significant metabolic impact as well.

You're not supposed to eat below your BMR, you're supposed to eat below your TDEE. Two very different things. Your BMR is how many calories you need to consume just to live. Not move around, exercise, or even talk - just to keep your internal organs functioning when you are completely at rest.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member

This.

BMR= 1864

You're not supposed to eat below your BMR, you're supposed to eat below your TDEE. Two very different things. Your BMR is how many calories you need to consume just to live. Not move around, exercise, or even talk - just to keep your internal organs functioning when you are completely at rest.

QFT. I'm a 24 year old woman and I don't even eat under 1600 a day. 1294 with all that exercise is ridiculous!
  • nomeejerome
    OP:

eta:

I am more than willing to listen to good advice. But posting links that my macros are wrong are off point. Are you referring to a different link???

As far as this link goes. I could take away that I am building more muscle and that is why the scale is not going done, but my measurements are improving. But I still have a lot of flab, so I have enough fat stores that should be burning off. Its not like I am close to being lean around the waist and *kitten*. Upper body maybe.

What about water???? Should I scale back or not???

I am referring to the link that was repeated multiple times in this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

If you are more than willing to listen to good advice, read it and all of the links in it. That link (and all of the links in it) has so much fantastic information in it. It is a lot of information and will take you a significant amount of time to read it all , but it will be worth it.

If you truly read it all (and all of the other links), if your take away from it is you are building more muscle, then I have no idea what to tell you.
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    No one is accusing you of not being accurate about your calories necessarily. It comes down to this:

If you aren't losing weight at your current calorie intake and current level of activity then you aren't at a calorie deficit. Simple math. You either need to eat fewer calories, or need to burn more. Once you're at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." - Ayn Rand
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Start with understanding that calories are not measured in grams.

Maybe this works for you. I am also very accurate in my food measurements, but I also enjoy a wide variety of foods and look forward to eating. It's a pleasurable part of life. I'm not sure that treating yourself like a science experiment is necessary.

Read all the links posted here, recalculate how much you should be eating, and relax. You have a lost a lot of weight in a fairly short period of time.
  • What's the point of asking for advice and saying "all welcome" if you're just going to get defensive? People are trying to help you figure out the problem, and yes, it could be that you screwed up your calculations. Happens all the time.

It doesn't matter what the model of the cardio equipment is, cardio machine calorie burn estimates aren't gospel. Most of them are off and some are way off, which is why you see people saying they only eat back 50% of their exercise calories. They are compensating for miscalculations.

I really don't understand why any man would be eating less than 1800 calories per day, even in weight loss. I weigh less than you do and eat more than you do before factoring in exercise calories. I also work out for a whopping 30 minutes a day, and I'm consistently losing. It sounds to me like Mr_Knight is correct, you've completely depleted your glycogen stores by not fueling your body properly. I'm actually kind of amazed that you haven't sustained an injury yet, although the chest pains you were having could be a sign of an issue. Did you see a doctor about that?

!- I do not feel I am getting defensive. I have listed all of my macros by brand. I just dont want to waste time debating something that is actually accurate. I want to move into the real areas or problems. Yeah, I get it. Most people are off on the macros. That is why I log mine, so its a non issue. I am getting frutstrated that we are beating a dead horse on that.

2- I understand that the cardio are only estimates, just like BMR and a lot of other things. But I wanted to post a measurable baseline for discussion. Lifecycle, 1 hour, twice a day, 3.7. Those are facts to work with. So if lets say I am burning between 360 and 720 calories. Fair enough.

3- You and Mr Knight have mentioned glycogen stores twice. Now that is something I can wrap my head around. So what do you propose??? That is what I am getting at! This is the type of advice I am looking for. Do you think I should

Add/reduce more calories
    Add/reduce more carbs
    Add/reduce water
    add/reduce cardio

And Why????

As for my caloric intake I took my BMR and cut it by rought 30% to spur weight loss

Went to doctor and no problems. He said I was too heavy for jogging/sprinting and thats why my joints were taking a pounding.

Look I appreciate and welcome all comments. I just want to get off the miscalculating the macros or miscalculating what the treadmill says. I am not off on those numbers.

Perhaps my metabolism is screwed up. Are there tests for that? I cant explain why my caloric consumption is so low compared to yours and you are losing. that is what i want to find out myself...............sigh
  • No one is accusing you of not being accurate about your calories necessarily. It comes down to this:

If you aren't losing weight at your current calorie intake and current level of activity then you aren't at a calorie deficit. Simple math. You either need to eat fewer calories, or need to burn more. Once you're at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." - Ayn Rand

Okay, so you are saying I need to go below 1292 calories and excercise more?

How low do I take the calories down to??? 900 is near starvation mode, and I am assuming I will damage metabolism at the level?

Most other posters seem to feel I am eating too little...................
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    What's the point of asking for advice and saying "all welcome" if you're just going to get defensive? People are trying to help you figure out the problem, and yes, it could be that you screwed up your calculations. Happens all the time.

!- I do not feel I am getting defensive. I have listed all of my macros by brand. I just dont want to waste time debating something that is actually accurate. I want to move into the real areas or problems. Yeah, I get it. Most people are off on the macros. That is why I log mine, so its a non issue. I am getting frutstrated that we are beating a dead horse on that.

2- I understand that the cardio are only estimates, just like BMR and a lot of other things. But I wanted to post a measurable baseline for discussion. Lifecycle, 1 hour, twice a day, 3.7. Those are facts to work with. So if lets say I am burning between 360 and 720 calories. Fair enough.

3- You and Mr Knight have mentioned glycogen stores twice. Now that is something I can wrap my head around. So what do you propose??? That is what I am getting at! This is the type of advice I am looking for. Do you think I should

Add/reduce more calories
    Add/reduce more carbs
    Add/reduce water
    add/reduce cardio

And Why????

As for my caloric intake I took my BMR and cut it by rought 30% to spur weight loss

Went to doctor and no problems. He said I was too heavy for jogging/sprinting and thats why my joints were taking a pounding.

Look I appreciate and welcome all comments. I just want to get off the miscalculating the macros or miscalculating what the treadmill says. I am not off on those numbers.

Perhaps my metabolism is screwed up. Are there tests for that? I cant explain why my caloric consumption is so low compared to yours and you are losing. that is what i want to find out myself...............sigh

Others have already said this. You do not subtract from your BMR; you subtract from your TDEE. Your calories are set too low.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    No one is accusing you of not being accurate about your calories necessarily. It comes down to this:

How low do I take the calories down to??? 900 is near starvation mode, and I am assuming I will damage metabolism at the level?

Omg. LISTEN. BMR is the LOWEST AMOUNT OF CALORIES YOUR BODY CAN POSSIBLY TAKE IN TO ADEQUATELY KEEP YOUR SYSTEM RUNNING. Meaning, you eat less than it takes to keep your organs going and guess what, eventually they are going to fail and fail hard.

TDEE is what you need to be determining. Google a TDEE calculator and plug in your numbers. THEN slash 20% off of that number and that is your deficit. I repeat, DO NOT GO BELOW YOUR BMR.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member

+1 Bolded for emphasis
  • No one is accusing you of not being accurate about your calories necessarily. It comes down to this:

Omg. LISTEN. BMR is the LOWEST AMOUNT OF CALORIES YOUR BODY CAN POSSIBLY TAKE IN TO ADEQUATELY KEEP YOUR SYSTEM RUNNING. Meaning, you eat less than it takes to keep your organs going and guess what, eventually they are going to fail and fail hard.

TDEE is what you need to be determining. Google a TDEE calculator and plug in your numbers. THEN slash 20% off of that number and that is your deficit. I repeat, DO NOT GO BELOW YOUR BMR.

my TDEE would be 3424

If I shave 20% off that I am at 2739

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

So you are saying I need to more than double my current caloric intake ???

And another guy says I am NOT at a caloric deficit at 1292 ???

Which way to go???

Yet, when I have added a 100 calorie meal, my weight spiked the next day. Do you guys see the quandry and somewhat contradictory advice......
  • nomeejerome
    OP:
    You took your BMR and cut it by 30%.
    You do not believe your treadmill numbers to be inaccurate.
    You are entertaining the idea of reducing your calories even more. (to the 900 level)

You clearly are misinformed about how to do this and people have offered information. You have the tools to set reasonable goals and to achieve those goals right here in this thread. However, it is up to you to apply those tools.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    You need more food in you. You are a man, weighing 220lbs and eating under 1300 cals a day. And you work out. No wonder why you are not losing.

Two choices:
    1. Figure out your TDEE and cut 20% from that. Eat that amount of food.
    2. Have MFP figure our your cals to eat based on a 1 lb a week weight loss plan and eat those cals plus your exercise cals.

Regarding exercise cals, If you are not using a HRM but go off of what MFP says, you should eat around half what it says.

Choice 2 worked for me and I have lost 41 lbs since I made this change.

Eat more food and fuel the body.