I feel stupid.

Options
13»

Replies

• darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Instead of a lot of strange cardio, I just lift really heavy stuff. :huh: I also make sure to make manly grunting noises, so that others in the gym know that I am lifting really heavy stuff... Hahaha!! :laugh: :noway:

Yes, I have to remember to do the manly grunt when I use the weights. :-)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I like to channel my inner Napolean Dynamite. Of course it wasn't always like that. I felt embarrassed. But I had to get over myself. Nobody cares what I look like or what I'm doing. Get as flamboyant and exaggerated as you have to be. Learn to let go and have fun, no matter how ridiculous you think it is.

lhlgK.gif
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    3 schools of thought on this young lady....

* Focus on "WHY" you are doing it instead of "WHAT" you think you look like
    * Don't pass judgement from just one or two videos or DVDs...ask around and find out what others use
    * If you REALLY have to think about what you look like, look ahead in your mind at what you will look like after you have done it for a month.

ITS ALL GOOD :-D
  • zapinkleopard
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone's walk aerobics. Very basic . You can do a 1 mile indoor walk, or 2, or 3, or 4 or 5.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I feel absolutely stupid and ridiculous swinging my arms around, bending over with my butt in the air, kicking my legs and all the rest of the movements these cardio videos have you do. I just can't. I just can't get over how ridiculous I look in my mind's eye. It's actually prevented me from finishing this video I tried to do for cardio today.

How do you get over feeling like you look foolish and just do what you need to do?

Hell, you look better than all those laying on the couch stuffing their face with potato chips!

Keep going! :)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    well i figured i dont look really appealing making sex faces when lifting heavy weights but thats the only way im gonna make progress. lol
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think I look pretty stupid doing most motions... I look like I'm about to poop when I'm doing squats. I giggle sometimes. But, I don't care how silly it looks as long as it's working toward my goal.
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend you can be goofy with? That may help with anxiety,
    I'm not a great singer, but I'm not tone deaf. My friend, however, tone deaf. You know who cares when we are singing bohemian rhapsody at the top of our lungs? Nobody!!! We are doing something that we enjoy, something that releases endorphins and makes us feel better.
    I hated the way I *thought* I looked when I ran. Then an amazing song came on my playlist, I started to focus on my breathing, and outran everyone in the gym (and I had gotten there first!) and two ppl came up to me and gave me a high five and thumbs up, saying I was awesome for outrunning them. I probably looked like a three-legged elephant, but that's not what ppl noticed!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How do you get over feeling like you look foolish and just do what you need to do?

Just go for a run :) HTH
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I feel absolutely stupid and ridiculous swinging my arms around, bending over with my butt in the air, kicking my legs and all the rest of the movements these cardio videos have you do. I just can't. I just can't get over how ridiculous I look in my mind's eye. It's actually prevented me from finishing this video I tried to do for cardio today.

I fixed that by not doing those things, and doing stuff that was utilitarian. Swim, run, bike.

Yoga though, just do it with a bunch of similarly minded social scofflaws, and feel good. :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

Just do it, if it bothers you that much, get a piece of exercise equipment like a stationery bike or treadmill, or even an aerobic step that is adjustable (much less expensive), figure out what you can do and "get into it" because getting into it helps a lot!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone's walk aerobics. Very basic . You can do a 1 mile indoor walk, or 2, or 3, or 4 or 5.

Thanks. I'll have to find that one.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Heh, I'm almost 50 and in the gym doing Strong Curves, which is hip thrusting, single leg bridges, reverse hypers, back extenstions, goblet squats, lying side clams etc etc. I look like some kind of gym pervert. But come summertime I plan to rock a bikini so if I have to do that stuff wearing a clown nose and rainbow I'll do it.
  • draveling
    draveling Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree Leslie Sansone is great. I have used her videos a lot over the years. After doing it a few times to learn the sequense of moves I turn the volume down on the video and play my own music. As for feeling stupid. When I first started working out to videos my husband would come in to see what I was doing. I felt stupid, but then he looked more stupid with his goofy grin. I would tell him to go away. Now he is so used to me working out to videos it doesn't even phase him. Sometimes I even wish he would come in and see how much of a sweat I have worked up.