Diet soda

Options
So I hear it's very bad if you are trying to lose weight, but I'm addicted and can't stand water. Is it nesasary to cut it out completely? Does anyone have any suggestions in other things I could drink other than water?

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is fine.

People cry about aspartame and other sugar substitutes. If it doesn't bother you, drink it. There are no studies to suggest it's harmful.
  • bofus2
    bofus2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem with diet soda. Drank LOTS of them daily. But heard they arent good, espeacially for your teeth. So changed for the most part to Crystal Lite Tea. I like the Peach iced tea. It's a tiny package of powder that you mix with 1/2 gallon of water, chill it, add some ice to a glass and enjoy. TDhe good dthing - NO calories. Golod luck.
  • jacqueinhutto
    jacqueinhutto Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I Had a hard time at first with drinking all the water but it is really good to drink lots of wa to er when u are losing weight. I drink 30 ouces of water on my way to work and again on my way home. Then I reward myself eith getting to drink my diet coke the rest of the night or flavored water.
  • candlechick27
    candlechick27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I LOVE diet pepsi, but I have worked on weaning myself off over the last few weeks. I am down to one usually every 3 days now. I use crystal light as well, it sure helps when I don't want normal water. Do the best you can for you!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda every day. I love Coke Zero..

It will not hinder weightloss.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How could a 0 (or 10 calorie, if you prefer those ones) calorie drink sabotage your weight loss? The logic does not check out.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Diet soda isn't the best thing in the world, if you find plain water too boring, and want to cut down on the soda try drinking tea, use flavored water, or squeeze some lemon/lime or a bit of fruit juice in the water.

Diet soda won't kill you, if you want to cut down on the sugar content however which can be hard on the teeth (yes diet soda has sugars even if it isn't listed) cut down slowly and go from there. So if you have...4 sodas a day, cut down by 1 every week if you really need to take it slow, then have it every 2nd day and so on and so forth.

If you simply like the carbonation, invest in a SodaStream and make your own fizzy drinks - will pay off in the long run rather than investing in pop on a regular basis.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    So I hear it's very bad if you are trying to lose weight, but I'm addicted and can't stand water. Is it nesasary to cut it out completely? Does anyone have any suggestions in other things I could drink other than water?

I heard that Pepsi One has way way way more carmel coloring than other diet sodas. For instance, Europe regulates this coloring and we in the states do not. Pepsi One has like 300 mg of it and Diet Coke has 3 to 4 mgs, which is the standard Europe sets for all sodas. Apparently it has a cancer causing agent to it. I wonder why the USDA does not see fit to limit it?
    Anyone hear about this report? I heard it on WVPE radio a couple days ago.
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Google aspartame and look at the research and scientific evidence. Make you own mind up.
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    if you like the bubbles i would recommend trying Perrier. I kicked my soda habit by drinking these which i didn't rally enjoy first because i loved the sugar and bubbles. After a week I enjoyed the Perrier and it's much better for you. I also prefer to do S.Pellegrino mineral water and use crystal light to change it up during the week.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a migraine trigger for me or is probably still be drinking diet soda. Although I did once figure out how much money I saved switching to water and that was a bid motivator as well.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I am the biggest addict ever of coke zero. Or diet coke. There are days that it's the only thing I drink. I know, that cannot be good. Weight loss wise I don't think it should cause problems though.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I drink 40-80oz of coke zero or diet Dr. Pepper per day. It has never inhibited my weight loss.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    If you want to quit the soda, I'd try sparkling water. I buy the Canada Dry cans of sparkling water, or La Croix, so it still has the drinking from the can feel to it, but just club soda. I'm not sure the diet soda will inhibit weight loss, but I did feel better when I gave up the caffeine and aspartame.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Diet Rite Soda does not have aspartame.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Since I gave up diet soda my stomach has been waaaaay less bloated, and my sugar cravings dramatically decreased.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Soda rots your teeth.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    We stopped drinking pop completely, diet or otherwise. The flavor is salt trigger for us that entices munchies. That said? It was difficult at first. What we did was buy the large containers of water for the refrigerator and our own water bottles.. that way it's really cold, and we had a "reusable cup". I started flavoring it with MIO so it at least had taste? But it started tasting funky to me so now I just drink straight water. I actually enjoy it. If i need flavor I add a squeeze of lemon or lime, but that doesn't happen very often.

Once I stopped buying it.... the need for it just went away. Even my fiance (who was a soda hound) stopped needing it after a few weeks.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda is completely safe.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It's up to you to stop or not. But I gave up all sodas just because the carbonation makes me more bloated. When I stopped, my belly was less pronounced.