Diet soda

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I lost 312 lbs. drinking 2 or 3 diet pepsi a day didn't seem to hinder my weight loss that I know of..... Best of luck
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is what is required to lose weight..does not matter how much diet soda you are drinking..i am assuming that this is zero calorie diet soda?
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I reward myself for drinking my water by having a Coke Zero daily (sometimes more than 1). I've built up to drinking 1 gallon of water and it's been trial and error. I have to get filtered water. I'll usually buy a gallon jug a week and then there's a local water store (not a kiosk) that I can refill for 40 cents a gallon. That's really helped me. If that won't work for you, Crystal Light, or even Mio will flavor the water pretty well. There's nothing wrong with diet soda but there isn't a whole lot right about it. I do find that if I try to substitute for my water, then I gain weight. Probably the "hidden' sodium in flavorings and in diet soda. And that could just be me so I won't classify that as for everyone.

I say experiment if you want to see what works for you. Try to work some water in daily for 2 weeks (however you can) and see if it helps or hinders you. Or even try iced tea, instead of your diet soda, and see if that works. Bottom line is always to do what works for you, and if the weight comes off with diet soda then drink it. If you find that your weight loss is hindered then find a way to stop drinking it.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I do think I get headaches from Splenda. I used sugar in my coffee for a long time and decided to switch to save 30 cals and I get a foggy headache maybe a half hour later.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    How could a 0 (or 10 calorie, if you prefer those ones) calorie drink sabotage your weight loss? The logic does not check out.

diet soda contains added sugar so you have to take the 10 calories and cube them to the tenth degree; hence, one diet soda is the equivalent of about 1000 calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So I hear it's very bad if you are trying to lose weight, but I'm addicted and can't stand water. Is it nesasary to cut it out completely? Does anyone have any suggestions in other things I could drink other than water?

I heard that Pepsi One has way way way more carmel coloring than other diet sodas. For instance, Europe regulates this coloring and we in the states do not. Pepsi One has like 300 mg of it and Diet Coke has 3 to 4 mgs, which is the standard Europe sets for all sodas. Apparently it has a cancer causing agent to it. I wonder why the USDA does not see fit to limit it?
    Anyone hear about this report? I heard it on WVPE radio a couple days ago.

don't believe everything you hear...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How could a 0 (or 10 calorie, if you prefer those ones) calorie drink sabotage your weight loss? The logic does not check out.

diet soda contains added sugar so you have to take the 10 calories and cube them to the tenth degree; hence, one diet soda is the equivalent of about 1000 calories.

Hmm. *does math* Well. The numbers seem to check out. Must be legit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

now if you drank three diet sodas a day…well, we won't even do that math on that one..but it would not be pretty...
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

That's a pretty big minus huh Frido?!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is the nectar of the gods and I for one am tired of hearing it slandered like this!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is the nectar of the gods and I for one am tired of hearing it slandered like this!

I raise a bottle of Diet Dew to you.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A lot of the studies slamming artificial sweeteners is done by the sugar industry. So you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Some people find grabbing a diet soda keeps their mind off snacking, and some people find it gets their taste for sweets stimulated. You just have to see if it helps or hurts your efforts.

But all carbonated beverages have phosphorus without any calcium, which isn't good for your bones. Have some Tums to get calcium without phosphorus to offset that.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I drink 40-80oz of coke zero or diet Dr. Pepper per day. It has never inhibited my weight loss.

I drink twice that, and it hasn't been a problem either.
  • lizless1
    lizless1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think as you eat healthier and wean it out you will not crave or have the addiction. I used to drink 10-12 pots yes pots of coffee a day. I have 2 sometimes three sometimes none now after three weeks. I focus on nutrition and balance. too much of anything is not good. I would never drink diet just because of the creepy man made sugars in it. I used to drink pepsi every night for dinner and after the last three weeks of not having it a si the other day almost made me ill it was sickenly sweet.
    Good luck:)
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda but it gives me migraines. I also love water so it works out :happy:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I drink 40-80oz of coke zero or diet Dr. Pepper per day. It has never inhibited my weight loss.

I drink twice that, and it hasn't been a problem either.
    Ahhh... hence, the name? :happy:

I had 0 ounces of diet soda yesterday and only about 20 oz. today. The week before we ran out of Ozarka at work, so I drank quite a lot of diet soda! Our water tastes nasty here! :grumble:
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Goes through multiple 2L of diet soda every week crew
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There actually is evidence that A) sugar substitutes can alter your taste, and you will find natural, non-artificial sugars less satisfying. B) they actually stimulate your appetite, and cause you to consume more calories, through specifically carbs! Trust me on B), I did the experiment on lab rats. Weird *kitten*.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Key is moderation, really.

People talk about it being unhealthy all the time. Everything is unhealthy in excess, though. So, I'm sure it IS unhealthy. If you drink it excessively. I'll have about 1 small bottle or 1 can a day. I used to overdo soda. I admit. And not the diet kind. I consumed more than my share of calories in pop. It dehydrates you BADLY if you don't drink water on the side. So, no, I do not think you should drink it instead of water. But drinking it along with your water won't kill you, and in my case has not affected weight loss at all.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is a non issue regarding weight loss.

I don't like it for the following reasons:

1. the taste (ick) I do not like the taste of regular pop or the taste of aspartame.
    2. The acidity of it, your teeth will thank you
    3. The cost, unless you are paying metered water, water is free from the tap.

I am trying to remember the last time I had a pop, and I cant.