28, 250lbs, not losing weight, please help

Options
124»

Replies

• ahmadsi329
    ahmadsi329 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It probably has something t do with lifting weights. I play college football and lifting weight builds muslce and last time i checked muscle weighs more than fat
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I weigh everything on a scale. It has a tare option and weighs in grams and ounces. So everything is accurate.

If you weigh everything on a scale, why do you log " .13 cup rice " , " 1/4 teaspoon of honey " or " 2 Tbsp peanut butter " ?
    I am willing to bet that there are big calorie discrepancies in measuring food this way, unless of course you really only eat less that a spoon full of rice, because that is what .13 cup is. I don't even know how you would measure 1/4th teaspoon of honey due to it's consistency.
    I would make sure to weigh all my food , because there is a real danger that otherwise you under estimate what you take in and would equally make sure that my calories burnt are correct, because under estimating the food and over estimating exercise is the sure way to not losing and often even gaining.
    Good Luck !
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get more accurate with weighing and logging.
    With a 400-600 calorie deficit, it could be VERY easy to have that accounted for by under-logging a bit.

Where possible, I would actually weigh pre-cooked for meat or veg. If anything, it tends to be worse for veg and stuff like rice/pasta which absorb water - if I leave my pasta in for five minutes longer it's noticeably 'bigger', so will weigh more even though it's just from water.

I would also look to have a set amount of protien a day and keep that constant every day - that's the generally accepted way, especially on a deficit while strength training.

You don't neeed to see a Dr yet - you need to log in grams not convert to cups, log everything and have some rest days, plus give it a bit more time.
    My back used to have problems from running, but fine on elliptical.

ahmadsi329:
    So, you got a lb of muscle and a lb of fat and put both on a scale to find one weighed more than the other?
    ;)
  • cjfrankum
    Options
    The recommendations on the back of most foods show it in tbsp or tsp and then with a (gram) calculation. When I put in 1/3 cup or 1/4 tsp it's because I did the conversion and didn't create a new entry. It's not that I don't weigh the food, I just input it differently Bc sometimes the grams drop down isn't there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The recommendations on the back of most foods show it in tbsp or tsp and then with a (gram) calculation. When I put in 1/3 cup or 1/4 tsp it's because I did the conversion and didn't create a new entry. It's not that I don't weigh the food, I just input it differently Bc sometimes the grams drop down isn't there.

It's what I do too... I know that 1 tbsp of honey is 21g, so if I enter 1/4 tbsp, I know it's 5g etc.

One day I'll redo all the entries I use to just use grams though... but I'm way too lazy.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Your profile is more fitting for bodybuilding.com. Go post your inquiries there along with pics.

Myfitnesspal members offer great support and advice, but when it comes to heavy lifting/protein intake/diet while lifting heavy, you will need to get advice from people on a similar program.

No.

There are a TON of people on here who lift heavy and can offer much better advice than the derp that is often found on bb.com.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You can log the meat cooked or uncooked AS LONG AS the option you choose from the database is the same. So, if you are logging raw chicken breast, then make sure that you pick raw chicken breast. If you have cooked a bunch of meat, then weight each cooked portion you are eating, but log it as chicken breast, cooked (or roasted, etc).

So here's the deal....according to Scooby, at a lightly active activity level (so desk job with exercise only 1-3 times/week----I know you are doing more, but this is erring on the side of caution) These are your stats:

BMR: 2145
    TDEE: 2949
    TDEE -20%: 2359

Here is what I would suggest OP. Really take the next 3-4 week and MAKE SURE you are using the appropriate measurements for your food. WEIGH as much of your food as you can and avoid using cups for things other than liquids, although mL is a better measurement for liquids, not all food scales have that option. It may not be that your portions are off, but you just might be making the incorrect choice in the database. For things like EVOO when you are cooking a bunch of meat, still add a portion of that, say 0.5 of a tbsp to each serving just so that it's accounted for.

Make sure every condiment is accounted for, including cream in your coffee, alcohol, etc.

Cut back on your exercise....give yourself AT LEAST one rest day.

Make sure you are drinking enough water.

Make an appointment with your family doctor and have a full workup done.

Good luck.

^^^This
  • Turntec22
    Options
    If fit bit is synced with MFP and you are entering your workouts then you are actually recording your workouts twice
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    How often have you weighed yourself?
    What time do you weigh yourself.

Some people do find a new cardio routine causes water retention - trying to think and pretty sure that's happened to me before.
    That being the case, for someone with a good few lb, water retention could be a good bit of that.

I've often noted a 4lb drop between weighing myself at night and in the morning after toilet.

Incidentally - from the above, I "lift heavy". Infact, to some degree I'd generally consider 'heavy lifting' to be more the power/olympic lifting stuff, while bodybuilding tends to be a little lighter weights for more reps with more isolation.
  • Turntec22
    Options
    Also I noticed you drank a good bit on fri. How often do you drink 9 oz of vodka? That's a lot of cal and it will mess up water weight
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have not read everything on here. but I do want to offer my 2 cents (might be all it is worth, which is literally worthless in Canada now)
    First I would suggest not getting too worried after three weeks. Others have mentioned it, and it is true that weight fluctuates. Have you considered also keeping track of your measurements?

Second I would suggest that MFP MIGHT overestimate what you burn doing workouts. As I am so heavy I feel like it calculates too many calories for me. I am young (As are you) and although heavy have ALWAYS been active. As a result doing these activities are easier for me than for someone my age, my size, and has never been active. As an example today it said I did 811 calories lap swimming for 55 minutes. I bet if I ate this all back id see myself getting bigger rather than smaller.

Third thing I would like to say is don't think you are special. If you live a healthy life your body will get healthy too. You are not the one in however many that cannot lost weight for whatever reason. Yes, there is a chance that there is a problem, but chances are that there is not and you just need to continue. Just keep in mind you are no freak, and you can be healthy just like all the others! I believe you can and wish for the best for you.

Finally, if you think this is all BS then just ignore it. It you want to talk more about it add me as a friend!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with white bread or protein power. :noway:

I don't think you should drop down to 1700 cals op - I'm a 5'2 woman and I lose on 1600 cals a day and do less exercise than you.

Please please just try to log accurately for a few more weeks before cutting your calories down to drastic amounts.

Yes that's very low. I also lose on that amount.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    There is so many responses here with most of the same infonbeong repeated over and over. I'm not here to say what is good or bad info. The only thing I want to address is This !!! You said you started 3 weeks ago !!! Well when I first started this 1 week went by,, Nothing ! 2 weeks went by, I Gained a pound ! 3 weeks went by and I Gained Another Pound !!! Right or wrong I never came on here and asked anyone Why ? What I did do was continue what o was doing and started paying More attention to Everything I was doing as far as my eating.. How I weighed it, by the way, I did go out and buy a new scale because they are cheap and I wanted to succeed. I measured more carefully and after another week I started losing.. My belief is that not only did I have to get my eating and measuring exact But I Really Think after about 20 years of being a couch potato, my body needed to get used to eating healthy and working out. It wasn't long before I was having a consistent loss weekly and then began to deal with small temptations as we all seem to do. Remember we can eat anything in moderation and I'm loving this new life style that I have been with for about 4 months now.. Give it a little more time and do everything exactly as you should before you start panicking !! Good Luck with your new lifestyle change.. And let your muscles get some rest. Lifting 7 days a week is just too much.