Weighing food VS Measuring... WOW!

Options
I finally bought a fancy food scale after logging my calories for weeks and not noticing any change in my weight.

Today is the first food prep I've done with a scale instead of measuring and all I can say is HOLY ****.

No wonder why my weight only slightly changed. The differences in weighing is INSANE.

I was just measuring out Salsa for my pre-made mix for a wrap and literally 2 TBSP was in the one TBSP I usually measure out

I know it's only salsa - but everything adds up. Just that is 10 cals vs 20! And I can only imagine the difference this is going to make a couple weeks down the road.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    oh Yah but don't worry there are good surprises too.

When I started weighing I went from losing on average .6lbs a week to .9lbs a week...so yah big difference..

If you like cottage cheese weigh that out...125g is more than half a cup.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I finally bought a digital scale this week. Love it. Realized was measuring pasta wrong :( whole time. But all worked out. Good luck on your health journey.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Shocking, isn't it?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes it goes both ways. Shredded cheese for example... more than 1/4 cup for a serving. But usually it's the other way around.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Everyone who wants to lose weight and prepares food at home should be weighing their food.
  • DodgeRider509
    Options
    Yeah Weighing food is the route to go no doubt. I was clueless when I didn't use it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    This is the reason why so many can't lose weight and the cause of so many " I am doing everything right and not losing" threads
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I got my scale.
    I was really pleased at how much one serving of peas turned out to be, and only 60 calories.
    I eat a lot of peas now. Lol
  • amyahouse
    Options
    I guess I am not very educated on this subject. This could be a really stupid question and probably learned during elementary school but, how do you know how much weight is in a cup or how much a serving size is in grams?
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I bought a really good scale with the Tare feature. I love it! Couldn't lose weight without it!
  • gamer_geek
    Options
    i have been weighing my food and measuring my dry ingredients with a set of measuring cups, im still not used to it, but it does help a lot with portion control, i bought an electric food scale with a tare function, still not sure how to use the darned thing....
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I guess I am not very educated on this subject. This could be a really stupid question and probably learned during elementary school but, how do you know how much weight is in a cup or how much a serving size is in grams?

Depends on what you're measuring and how you pack the cup.
    A cup of flour ranges from 112g to 150g depending how its packed. Should be 125g btw
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Most raw ingredients are in the database with a 100g option to use. Most packaged food has the volume in a serving followed by the gram weight in parenthesis. So 1 serving: 2 cups (85g), for example. Use the 85g.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    It makes me SO excited. I was getting a little worried that my metabolism was slowing down. HA!
  • roberggren
    Options
    @amyahouse you wouldn't really know unless you actually put it on the scale and weighed it.
    For example if a serving size of OJ is 1 cup (8oz) You should really just put your cup on the scale and zero the scale out then add your OJ to be sure you see how much 8oz really looks like.
    My scale allows me to see the weight in OZ AND then I can switch the button and see it also in grams. Alot of the times you can see the actual serving size right on the packaging itself. I use that as a guide and then I weigh. Tonight I ate peas with my dinner the can said serving size 1/2 cup......but I also weighed them too. It just makes it easier when you are adding different things to your diary that may only show up in Oz or G.
    Feel free to add me as a friend and if I can explain anything else you can just hit me up there.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My food scale is my BFF.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options

Definitely NOT a stupid question!
    i have been weighing my food and measuring my dry ingredients with a set of measuring cups, im still not used to it, but it does help a lot with portion control, i bought an electric food scale with a tare function, still not sure how to use the darned thing....

I think this information will help you too, gamer_geek.

A cup, as in a measuring cup, is not easily convertible to weight because, as you probably guessed, everything does not weigh the same. To illustrate this, consider a measuring cup of grated/shredded cheese compared to a measuring cup of peanut butter. The peanut butter obviously weighs more, right? (Hint: yes :) haha)

So, that doesn't help you much. What does help, though, is that most items include a weight in grams or ounces in the serving information. For example, my bag of flour says a serving is "1/4 cup (31g)". What I do is, place an empty bowl on my scale and press the "tare" button - this zero's out the scale so that it's not counting the weight of the bowl. Then, I spoon or scoop or pour (depending on the item haha) the ingredient into the bowl and measure out the weight in grams or ounces.

If you have any other questions or need help with specific items, feel free to PM me or add me as a friend a comment on my wall. I'd be happy to help :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I hope more people see this and take note.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Now you know why we say ad nauseum "weigh your food instead of measuring!"
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    you think the difference in salsa is big?

try peanut butter. lots of room for error when using tablespoons and not grams