Weighing food VS Measuring... WOW!

Options

Replies

• kaylerato
    kaylerato Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes Girl,It makes a big difference! You will definitely start to see a steady loss,going forward!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was surprised by the difference. I have had my scale about a week now. However, I love it because I never realized how much easier it was to weigh vs. measure.

Seriously, the tare button is my best friend, I don't have to dirty up a million measuring cups, I can use one bowl, I always know exactly how much I'm putting in.

Best 15 dollars I've ever spent in my life.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    you think the difference in salsa is big?

try peanut butter. lots of room for error when using tablespoons and not grams

same for hummus. A serving size of hummus makes me a sad panda.
  • wonderwoman325
    Options
    Yeah, I pulled out my digital food scale that I bought two Xmases ago and never used. Measured out the cheese for my turkey fajitas tonight and...well it's embarrassing just how much cheese I had been using before and the calorie add up :/
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, weighing food is the way to go.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is the reason why so many can't lose weight and the cause of so many " I am doing everything right and not losing" threads

QFT
  • christinapike2
    christinapike2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recently started weighing my food out as well and was very and I mean VERY surprised. I think it will be my new best friend in the kitchen for sure!
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    you think the difference in salsa is big?

try peanut butter. lots of room for error when using tablespoons and not grams

I was just using it as an example because it was the first thing I weighed that was literally HALF the amount I would measure. Plus, every calorie counts. ;)
  • heatherlynnc123
    Options
    I bought a scale a few weeks ago at Aldi's when they were on sale... love it! LOVE IT!

Like the OP, I've had surprises where what I was measuring and using was double what I was counting. And others, like someone mentioned, shredded cheese, where I actually get more than I was using.

It really shines when it comes to making my lunches. For example, this week I did a cabbage, black bean, corn, pepper, onion, tomato salad marinated in sugar free balsamic vinaigrette. The entire batch weighed in at 1,908 grams so I put it in as 19.08 servings. When I dish it out, if I serve myself 267 grams, I will record it as 2.67 servings. So much easier and more accurate than cups and measuring spoons!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For example if a serving size of OJ is 1 cup (8oz) You should really just put your cup on the scale and zero the scale out then add your OJ to be sure you see how much 8oz really looks like.

This is not entirely correct. For liquids like OJ, the 8 oz serving size is almost always a volume measurement (fl oz) rather than a mass measurement (grams, etc.).

It is not generally necessary to weigh liquids because 8 fl oz is always the same since you can't pack it the way you can pack, say, brown sugar.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For example if a serving size of OJ is 1 cup (8oz) You should really just put your cup on the scale and zero the scale out then add your OJ to be sure you see how much 8oz really looks like.

This is not entirely correct. For liquids like OJ, the 8 oz serving size is almost always a volume measurement (fl oz) rather than a mass measurement (grams, etc.).

It is not generally necessary to weigh liquids because 8 fl oz is always the same since you can't pack it the way you can pack, say, brown sugar.

Fun fact: 8oz is 240mL.

1mL = 1g.
    So you can put your glass on the scale, tare it, and fill til it says 240g.
  • lgardhouse
    lgardhouse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am so thankful for this thread! I just bought my food scale last week (just waiting for it to arrive) and would have never thought that the cup serving suggestion wouldn't also equal the oz or gram suggestion that is labelled right beside it. Thank you all for the help! I will definitely be weighing everything once I have it in my hands!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

1mL = 1g.

True, although liquids other than water do fall slightly outside of this due to their different densities.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

No wonder why my weight only slightly changed. The differences in weighing is INSANE.

I was just measuring out Salsa for my pre-made mix for a wrap and literally 2 TBSP was in the one TBSP I usually measure out
    I'm sure this is the case a lot of times, but TBSs don't always seem to be accurate between one another or the TSP either. Supposed to be 3 TSP to a TBS but I have found with measuring spoons, usually I can only fit 2 TSP into the corresponding set's TBS spoon.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Finally got a digital good grips scale and I love it! But you are right there are surprises...both good and bad!
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at the difference! I am so glad to weigh now! It's been 3 weeks and I feel very accomplished!
  • spellingmama
    spellingmama Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who need a good scale to get me on track. Any suggestions?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I finally bought a fancy food scale after logging my calories for weeks and not noticing any change in my weight.

Today is the first food prep I've done with a scale instead of measuring and all I can say is HOLY ****.

No wonder why my weight only slightly changed. The differences in weighing is INSANE.

I was just measuring out Salsa for my pre-made mix for a wrap and literally 2 TBSP was in the one TBSP I usually measure out

I know it's only salsa - but everything adds up. Just that is 10 cals vs 20! And I can only imagine the difference this is going to make a couple weeks down the road.

Exactly .... this is why estimating is a bad idea. So is measuring things in cups, tablespoons what have you. Just too inaccurate. This is why I weigh everything .. except some fruits like banana's.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I <3 my scale.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options

1mL = 1g.

True, although liquids other than water do fall slightly outside of this due to their different densities.

Isn't olive oil off compared to water by about 10% Still trying to get this figured out.