Weight loss and frustration!

Options
I have been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks now and I have been counting my calories and using my treadmill since January 4th.
I also do sit-ups and use my free weights. I also have a fitbit that I have attached to me all day. My question is this - Since the 4th I have lost only 4lbs. I thought I would have lost a bit more than that. Am I expecting too much? I have to admit that I am proud of myself!
Thanks for all the help!
Debbi

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs per week is healthy and normal so I would say you are on target.
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That is still within healthy weight loss range, so, yes, be happy for yourself.

I am still a beginner and it's hard thinking that after all the effort you lose "only" this or that and I am really trying to learn to be patient. This is a journey - not a race, and every bit of weight loss is a success. It's not easy and it's something I have to constantly remind myself. But if you have enough small successes and string them together it makes for a big WIN!

Good luck to you :smile:
  • cotyycat
    cotyycat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think that's great!!! 4lbs is better than 0! Keep up the good work girlie! :)
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Debbi,

I think the rate of your weight loss is near target. As you become more efficient in your exercising and spot on with your dietary demands, the weight loss should increase a bit then level. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a fad, quick fix.

Good luck!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree. a pound a week is good!!!!!

Have you tracked everything and know your burns? Then you should see how that works. its a 3,500 calorie deficit for each pound.

Plus you may be holding some water weight while your body adjusts.

Hang in there! You're doing well! You're also at the exact point that some have lost nothing and give up when they are SO Close to the changes.

Keep Going!!!!! Change your mind, I've lost a Pound a week!!!!!!

Congrats
  • scooterjen
    scooterjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks into this also and feeling much like you. I barely saw the scale move this week...about 0.25 pound which is 3.75 total. I'm exercising and logging faithfully...keeping my calories around 1300-1400. I'm going to keep pushing on. Surely the scale will catch up to my hard work. Good luck to us both!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think that 4 lb in less than a month is great progess. As I am sure you've been told before, it didn't come on overnight, so the weight won't come off overnight. Slow, steady losses are more healthy and sustainable than crazy crash diets that don't teach moderation or lifestyle change. You are right to be proud; you're doing great!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I think your progress is excellent.
  • michealashton
    Options
    Try not to think of it as "I've lost 4 lbs in 4 weeks" but rather "I'm on track to lose 52 pounds this year." That's how I intend to stay sane as I'm working on losing 60+lbs so I'll be at this a while. lol.
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Remember that it is a lifestyle change and not a crash diet where you might yo yo back. You want it to be slow and steady so that it is something you can maintain over time. You are doing well. Be pleased with those results and keep it going. Cheers!
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think you are right on track with 1 lbs loss per week. Keep it up and don't get so bummed out. And aren't you glad that you lost a pound each week instead of gaining one pound per week? :) Keep it up and be proud of yourself!
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - 1 pound a week is awesome! It also can take some time after starting a new program to see results. Typically, it takes a few weeks. So for you to be seeing results already is great! Keep up the good work :smile:
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! You are on the right path and your weight is going down. Keep doing what you are doing, it's working. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks now and I have been counting my calories and using my treadmill since January 4th.
    I also do sit-ups and use my free weights. I also have a fitbit that I have attached to me all day. My question is this - Since the 4th I have lost only 4lbs. I thought I would have lost a bit more than that. Am I expecting too much? I have to admit that I am proud of myself!
    Thanks for all the help!
    Debbi

don't be misled by shows like the Biggest Loser where you see losses of up to 10 lbs in a week. Losses like that are usually water weight, and you have to remember they are on extremely restricted diets and work out about 6 hours per day. That's just not realistic. It's very healthy to lose 1-2 lbs per week. Faster than that and your body could break down lean muscle, which you don't want to do. It is a long, slow process. Not a race, but a journey with no end.... Once you reach the top of the hill, there's a long trail on the plateau that is called "maintenance". That trail leads through the rest of your life.
  • Lovenestwesr
    Options
    I agree, good going on the loss. It can be frustrating to work really hard and see "small" losses.
    Are you measuring yourself? I find that sometimes when I don't lose a lot, but know that I'm doing all the right things, I'm gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, but is more metabolically efficient, and will result in decreased inches/cm off your frame.
    Part of my frustration with weight is that it is so easy to get caught up in what the scale says, as opposed to all the other positive things I am doing for my health.
    How is your energy and stamina now compared to to one month ago? How is your skin? How are you sleeping?
    Good for you for making positive changes for your health and well being.
    xo
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Good going, don't stop now. It takes awhile for our bodies to adjust to new routines. A coupke of years ago a friend started a healthier lifestyle by walking and watching what she ate (age was mid-50s) and it was 4-6 weeks before she noticed a change on the scale. But she kept at it and went on to lose 30+ pounds.
  • Ksladic
    Ksladic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    did you measure your self before and after ... like your hips and stomach as it could be you re getting smaller its nott always about the the actual weight ... :) personal fit trainer
    :wink:
  • Ksladic
    Ksladic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    plus u look good in your picture it could be you are tottering at the weight you are supposed to be.. how much are you actually trying to lose?
  • pammypurple
    pammypurple Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The picture in this link (if it works)is of 20 sticks of butter. This equates to 5lbs of fat. I'm in the UK so don't know a stick of butter from a poke in the nose! We use half pound packs so 4lbs of weight lost would equate to 8 packs of our butter. I use this all the time to "see" the weight I'm losing. I can't understand people being disappointed with losing 1-2lbs of fat a week. We sat on our bums making no effort to get in on us and some of us took years!!! So why do we expect that it will all come off in about six weeks?? Look at the butter sticks and be proud of every single half pound you lose.

http://www.three14creations.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/buttersticks.jpg
  • debbienglish
    Options
    Thank you Pammipurple!:smile: