Weight loss and frustration!

Options
2»

Replies

• debbienglish
    Options
    Thanks for the nice compliment, I have not measured myself, I am going with the idea that if a pair of jeans fits me better then I know I am doing ok.
  • debbienglish
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome!
  • debbienglish
    Options
    To all of you wonderful people that posted something on my topic: THANK YOU! I needed to hear those words and the advice and the reminders! I would like to be friends with all of you during this journey we are all making. How do I do that? So new to this! Thanks again everyone!
    Keep up the good work, WE ARE ALL AMAZING!
  • debbienglish
    Options
    I have another question. Is there a set daily caloric intake I should be following in order to lose weight? Also, I haven't measured myself. should I?
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I have another question. Is there a set daily caloric intake I should be following in order to lose weight? Also, I haven't measured myself. should I?

I think measuring yourself is so important. A lot of times - especially when building muscle - the number on the scale won't change a lot, but you could be losing lots of inches.

You should be able to calculate the ideal calories based on your height, etc and weight loss goals here. That will also help you keep track of everything. Most people are around 1800-ish, but it will vary from person to person. :smile:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks now and I have been counting my calories and using my treadmill since January 4th.
    I also do sit-ups and use my free weights. I also have a fitbit that I have attached to me all day. My question is this - Since the 4th I have lost only 4lbs. I thought I would have lost a bit more than that. Am I expecting too much? I have to admit that I am proud of myself!
    Thanks for all the help!
    Debbi

don't be misled by shows like the Biggest Loser where you see losses of up to 10 lbs in a week. Losses like that are usually water weight, and you have to remember they are on extremely restricted diets and work out about 6 hours per day. That's just not realistic. It's very healthy to lose 1-2 lbs per week. Faster than that and your body could break down lean muscle, which you don't want to do. It is a long, slow process. Not a race, but a journey with no end.... Once you reach the top of the hill, there's a long trail on the plateau that is called "maintenance". That trail leads through the rest of your life.

I love this reply because just this morning I said that I can only go at the Biggest Loser pace for a little while, that for me weight loss is a lot more like the Appalachian Trail. It's a long hike from Georgia to Maine and it takes time and planning to make it all the way. After 6 months and 40 lbs (I was 196 in June; 156 this am.) I am now on the maintenance trail and I'm just gonna keep on planning and making good choices. If you keep planning and making good choices, eventually your body will believe you mean it and you'll get where you want to be.
  • jodatoad
    Options
    I don't know much about the weight thing. I think that's why we're all here. We're making an effort to do better and should be proud of that. I just measured myself for the first time today. Husband says I'm looking better. I'm just not seeing it. It's a journey not a race. Crash diets don't work. Keep at it. It will happen. Don't sweat the small stuff. To little calories and you will eat your muscle which is NOT what you want to do.
  • debbienglish
    Options
    Thanks for the support!
  • debbienglish
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me that this is a journey!
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It goes on a pound or less a week (generally speaking) so it makes sense that it's gonna come off the same way. Celebrate your success!!!
  • riekemj
    Options
    Great advice. Thanks for being so positive! Keep going!
  • Suzibluski
    Suzibluski Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think of how big a 5 pound bag of sugar is and that is how much bulk you have lost!!! Keep it up sticking to it is what works!
  • t73reed
    t73reed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel....started last May and have lost a total of 16 pounds...that is all. The thing is I've gained a lot of muscle in my legs since walking 4-6 days a week. The scale literally did not budge most of my summer. I was frustrated, but at the same time I could feel my clothes getting much looser. I had to go out at Christmas and buy several new pieces to wear to work because my clothes are getting too big (I know poor me:) had a lot of fun doing that)...but my point is the scale still does not reflect my weight loss. I think I am just gaining a ton of muscle and as we all know muscle weighs more than fat and I think I'd rather have a lot of muscle and look nice in my clothes. Good luck to you and be patient! God Bless!
  • ks_mommaof5
    ks_mommaof5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can COMPLETELY RELATE to your sentiment! My best friend and I often joke that we're shocked and dismayed when we work out and eat veggies at lunch, only to realize at dinner that we're still not Cindy Crawford.

Congratulations on your progress thus far!!! Keep your chin up, keep making good decisions and be proud!!!! :)
  • Shynique37
    Shynique37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Keep going!! You are on your way. One day soon you will look up & see how your hard work is paying off
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am about the same age as you and it is a LOT more difficult at this age. Having said that, it can be done, it just takes more patience. I am not good at patience but I am learning to be. Hang in there! It might be slower than you wanted but it is going in the right direction. :smile:
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I can COMPLETELY RELATE to your sentiment! My best friend and I often joke that we're shocked and dismayed when we work out and eat veggies at lunch, only to realize at dinner that we're still not Cindy Crawford.

Congratulations on your progress thus far!!! Keep your chin up, keep making good decisions and be proud!!!! :)

LOVE IT!!! too funny
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't come off overnight.
    4 pounds in a month is a great accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself.
  • tfoste6278
    tfoste6278 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yeah, I feel you. I was the same way and at time still is but I have to tell myself I didn't gain all this weight overnight therefore I will not loose it overnight. I think about how I feel compare to then vs.. now. I have more energy, my stomach is not bloated, looking as if pregnant when I'm not. and I have only lost five 5lbs. I tell myself everyday I come first before hubby, before the kids, because if I die from weight issues who will take care of them. Therefore, I must come first, me and my health to be there for my fam.