Staying Entertained While On Treadmill

Options
124»

Replies

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I listen to music and match my speed on the treadmill to the tempo of the song and keep track of how many MPH certain songs are. Surprisingly enough a lot of ballads have faster MPH than classic rock, oldies, or rock n roll! lol I then quite often will share my odd findings with my awesome hubby who is very good at pretending to care.

That's like what I do on the bike. The tempo of the music just sort of blends in to what your legs are going, and I've found that I go the hardest to some Florence + The Machine songs, which I wouldn't normally think of as being particularly upbeat songs.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I listen to Dan Carlin's hardcore histories!
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I count my steps in increments of 100. No idea why, but seems to help time pass quicker. (And encourages me to up the speed)
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1. Good music on the mp3 player

2. Break the run up into smaller sections (e.g. 10min x 10, instead of 100mins)

3. With the smaller sections repeat the same pattern (or make it harder/easier as you approach the end of the run) (e.g. run 9mins walk 1 min - this makes the whole run go faster as you are looking forward to the walk breaks; if you don't want to walk then you could do 200m faster running, 800m slower jogging and keep repeating while adding more fast running towards the end) (a fav of mine for a 10km run is to start out with 100m fast in the 1st km and then to add 100m fast every km so I end up doing 700m fast/300m slow by 7km and then the whole 1000m fast on my final km)

This is what I do on every run on the treadmill even if it's just a slow easy run - i'll just alternate between super easy speed and a moderate pace until i'm done =)
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, try splitting up the treadmill time with other cardio/body-weight exercises. Soo depending on the length of time you usually spend on there, here's an example;

- 5 mins treadmill (jog/walk/run)
    - jump off treadmill, 10 reps as fast as possible (squat or burpee or lunge)
    - 5 mins treadmill
    - jump off treadmill, 10 reps as fast as possible (push-up or tricep dips)
    - 5 mins treadmill
    - jump off treadmill, 10 reps as fast as possible (sit-ups or leg extensions/raises or plank-ups)

and repeat as desired :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Treadmill dance, totally watchable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfUgXcvq4g
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I mess around with my speeds.....basically interval training so that every minute something is changing and I tailor it to what I want to train that day....speed, endurance, etc. And great music....that is a must :)

That's my method as well. Every workout is a different challenge or configuration and never let the machine do it, always be changing your speed and your incline. I have bad motion sickness so no books, TV or movies - just music and some mild OCD.

• jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I listen to a lot of podcasts: RadioLab, This American Life, The Nerdist, The Moth, Serial... there are lots of options if you have a smartphone, and they're free (unlike some Audiobooks)