18f trying to gain muscle, ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Options
Hey guys! okay well i have recently just started weight training after only having done serious cardio workouts due to my previous ignorance on how to build healthy muscle. I am already lean and have a low body fat (athletic range) percentage and am trying to gain muscle mass. I do P90X because i can not afford a gym membership at this time and its just convenient for me. but i push my self with weights hard core on the work outs and have seen results. I have barley started tracking my macros vaguely , just rough estimates, and have yet to weigh myself again for a while (i was becoming obsessive compulsive abut just a number and not realizing thee true heathy way to be fit and lean but i assure you i have since changed and am at a great mental state. Im trying to GAIN muscle weight) This is my question. I do not have a car and i have to ride my bike EVERY WHERE, literally everywhere i go i have to bike it. Especially now that school is going to start ill have to make a two way six mile ride twice a week. Im not complaining about the distance because ive done it before no problem but im wondering will this effect my gains? what can i do in my diet to supplement this use of calories. Up the Carbs, the protein, fats? OH and i also do take a WHEY protein supplement and do incorporate a healthy source of protein in every meal, about 3-5 oz three times a day. I eat healthy and make all my foods and have eliminated pre packaged garbage. Pretty much a paleo diet. I just want to know what i can do so my body doesn't use the muscle i am trying to gain

Replies

• aldiba1994
    aldiba1994 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat above your TDEE by 200 calories and make sure to have 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. You should also have enough sleep (at least 8 hours every night). Regarding weight training, focus on getting stronger (progressive overload) especially in the compound exercises and you will surely gain muscle. Good luck ! :)
  • VICTTORRES
    Options
    stop looking at calories carbs and carbs will get you big fuller of energy in your work outs as well ,but eating lots of carbs without a good explosive work out at least 4 times a week you will gain fat depending on your metabolic rate + compound exercises always help gain mass, the websites i always go for for tip are simplyshredded.com and scoobysworkshop.com, you can check them out and read more info...
  • nahtalee
    nahtalee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sweet thank you! any advice helps really ! i just really don't want to have muscle break down. So forsure up the protein. I should be calculating my personal macros today based on my weight (who knew it was so hard to find someone with a scale). Is the 4 4 9 rule a good calculation of my personal macro goals?
  • nahtalee
    Options
    Eat above your TDEE by 200 calories and make sure to have 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. You should also have enough sleep (at least 8 hours every night). Regarding weight training, focus on getting stronger (progressive overload) especially in the compound exercises and you will surely gain muscle. Good luck ! :)

okay above 200 sweet! i just bought a heart rate monitor and will be tracking the amount of calories burned while i bike an exercise so i can know how i should make up for it in my meals during the day. Is that ideal?
  • nahtalee
    Options
    Simple answer: eat more calories than you expend, and a lot of it as protein.

I'm sure people will give more detailed answers later on but I'm too lazy.
    [/quote

Sweet thank you! any advice helps really ! i just really don't want to have muscle break down. So forsure up the protein. I should be calculating my personal macros today based on my weight (who knew it was so hard to find someone with a scale). Is the 4 4 9 rule a good calculation of my personal macro goals?
  • nahtalee
    Options
    stop looking at calories carbs and carbs will get you big fuller of energy in your work outs as well ,but eating lots of carbs without a good explosive work out at least 4 times a week you will gain fat depending on your metabolic rate + compound exercises always help gain mass, the websites i always go for for tip are simplyshredded.com and scoobysworkshop.com, you can check them out and read more info...

Awesome ill definitely check that website out thank you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 protein 30 and 30 carbs/fat.
    I tend to range a little light on the protein and a little high on the carbs- but at 200 grams of protein- I"m not really concerned if I only get 150.

Eat moar- and lift moar.
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! okay well i have recently just started weight training after only having done serious cardio workouts due to my previous ignorance on how to build healthy muscle. I am already lean and have a low body fat (athletic range) percentage and am trying to gain muscle mass. I do P90X because i can not afford a gym membership at this time and its just convenient for me. but i push my self with weights hard core on the work outs and have seen results. I have barley started tracking my macros vaguely , just rough estimates, and have yet to weigh myself again for a while (i was becoming obsessive compulsive abut just a number and not realizing thee true heathy way to be fit and lean but i assure you i have since changed and am at a great mental state. Im trying to GAIN muscle weight) This is my question. I do not have a car and i have to ride my bike EVERY WHERE, literally everywhere i go i have to bike it. Especially now that school is going to start ill have to make a two way six mile ride twice a week. Im not complaining about the distance because ive done it before no problem but im wondering will this effect my gains? what can i do in my diet to supplement this use of calories. Up the Carbs, the protein, fats? OH and i also do take a WHEY protein supplement and do incorporate a healthy source of protein in every meal, about 3-5 oz three times a day. I eat healthy and make all my foods and have eliminated pre packaged garbage. Pretty much a paleo diet. I just want to know what i can do so my body doesn't use the muscle i am trying to gain

Another thing is to be more effective, try to avoid doing cardio on the muscles you worked after doing your strength training. Endurance exercises deactivate the pathway that cause hypertrophy (increase in muscle size).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Another thing is to be more effective, try to avoid doing cardio on the muscles you worked after doing your strength training. Endurance exercises deactivate the pathway that cause hypertrophy (increase in muscle size).
    The consensus I've seen on this is that this is only an issue if you are doing heavy endurance training. Most people aren't going to run into this provided they are eating enough.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about buying a small weight set? They really are not that expensive!
  • aldiba1994
    aldiba1994 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

okay above 200 sweet! i just bought a heart rate monitor and will be tracking the amount of calories burned while i bike an exercise so i can know how i should make up for it in my meals during the day. Is that ideal?

yup
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    No. She doesn't need a cleanse. She needs to up her intake and increase the weight she's using.

ETA: Cleanses don't "get rid of fat" and they most certainly don't help "gain muscles".
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options
    I would also try an advocare Herbal Cleanse! it is the best way to clean the system and get rid of all the bloating, and fat... It will help you lose weight and gain muscles!!! :)

https://www.advocare.com/130937014/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=W3171&id=D&flavor=C
    No. She doesn't need a cleanse. She needs to up her intake and increase the weight she's using.

ETA: Cleanses don't "get rid of fat" and they most certainly don't help "gain muscles".

Actually they can. I had been eating healthy, Gluten free, and exercising before i did the cleanse, and it kick started my weight loss, helped me to get rid of bloating and internal issues.

"The AdvoCare® Herbal Cleanse system can help rid your body of toxins and waste with its unique blend of herbal ingredients.* Using a systematic approach, this 10-day system guides you day by day through the steps for thorough internal cleansing and improved digestion.* Herbal Cleanse supports the body's metabolic systems and general health during the detoxification process by helping to keep energy levels up, aiding in removing impurities and supporting the immune system.* Some people who use Herbal Cleanse for the first time experience an encouraging weight reduction and/or reduction in inches when they pair the system with the recommended diet and exercise. "
    Actually, they most certainly can't. And posting a quote from a website that's trying to sell a product is not a convincing argument. Here are the people I'd listen to:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/colon-cleansing/expert-answers/faq-20058435
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/detox-diets/expert-answers/faq-20058040
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_072208.htm

In the meantime, if you have internal issues, you should consult a doctor.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options
    I would also try an advocare Herbal Cleanse! it is the best way to clean the system and get rid of all the bloating, and fat... It will help you lose weight and gain muscles!!! :)

https://www.advocare.com/130937014/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=W3171&id=D&flavor=C

Actually they can. I had been eating healthy, Gluten free, and exercising before i did the cleanse, and it kick started my weight loss, helped me to get rid of bloating and internal issues.

"The AdvoCare® Herbal Cleanse system can help rid your body of toxins and waste with its unique blend of herbal ingredients.* Using a systematic approach, this 10-day system guides you day by day through the steps for thorough internal cleansing and improved digestion.* Herbal Cleanse supports the body's metabolic systems and general health during the detoxification process by helping to keep energy levels up, aiding in removing impurities and supporting the immune system.* Some people who use Herbal Cleanse for the first time experience an encouraging weight reduction and/or reduction in inches when they pair the system with the recommended diet and exercise. "
    Actually, they most certainly can't. And posting a quote from a website that's trying to sell a product is not a convincing argument. Here are the people I'd listen to:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/colon-cleansing/expert-answers/faq-20058435
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/detox-diets/expert-answers/faq-20058040
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_072208.htm

In the meantime, if you have internal issues, you should consult a doctor.

I did see multiple doctors, AND I MEAN MULTIPLE! I have been to University of Michigan hospital too many times to count, I have gone to mayo clinic and they couldnt even figure out what is wrong with me, I have gotten 17 MRI's in the last 10 years... I have gone to Cleveland clinic. They all gave me medications, tried 1000 different pills, and treatments for me... NONE OF THEM WORKED... i was like 10-20 pills a day and was MISERABLE. I gained 40 pounds, lost my muscle. Was going to my chiropractor and my neauroligist at least once a month... My Doctor from U of M Back and head pain told me I should try doing something natural, He suggested the Advocare to me... Told me to do the herbal cleanse. He did my blood work right before I started and re did it last month... it is like night and day... But whatever... you can chose to not believe me... but I decided to stop taking medications that were killing me.... and try something healthy....
    By all means, do whatever you please. But please stop trying to sell this stuff here. We don't like it. Just because something is "natural" does not mean it's healthy. Case in point: arsenic, cyanide, and strychnine. "Natural" is not a strong argument.

Also, for anyone still considering purchasing cleanses and detoxes, I recommend this excellent thread which cites many reputable references: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd agree on the 1g/lb of body weight for protein. A lot of things then advocate a set amount of fat too and the rest carbs - carbs being the fuel for your body to use the protein to build more muscle.

Have a look at rippedbody.jp as he's got a lot of good stuff on there going through it.

I'd definitely look at getting a cheap second hand weights set - what you are doing is more just making cardio a bit harder.
    Sure, it'll have results, but not as effectively as using 'real weights' go.
    Sometimes they even turn up on freecycle.

A lot of people don't like vynl weights, but they still weigh the same and usually really cheap second hand.
    You can slowly replace them with metal as you run out of room on the bar (the problem is they are big for their weight compared to iron).

As for a herbal cleanse; as they say... What do you call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.
    If your link didn't include a referral code we might trust you more - as it is, it suggest that the whole advocare website is likely scam-mongering if they let people spam like that.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    By all means, do whatever you please. But please stop trying to sell this stuff here. We don't like it. Just because something is "natural" does not mean it's healthy. Case in point: arsenic, cyanide, and strychnine. "Natural" is not a strong argument.

Also, for anyone still considering purchasing cleanses and detoxes, I recommend this excellent thread which cites many reputable references: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses.

Quoted for Truth
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Haha…please IGNORE anyone trying to hock a product at you for this matter. I've got more fodder for my videos. Maybe tomorrow. This part of the crap that's wrong with the industry. Grinds my gears. An herbal cleanse!? Laughable. One there's no such thing as a cleanse and regardless has nothing to do with it.
    But hey we're just trying to help each other….and try to get to diamond level or silver level or whatever and get that car or some other nonsense. Can't stand it. Plus it's all causation vs correlation…. I'm eating doughnuts now to lose weight and doing videos about it to get this point across.
    I'll inbox you….sheesh
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options

https://*****************

Can you please edit your post to remove this ad, now that you know it's not allowed? Thanks :)