18f trying to gain muscle, ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Options

Replies

• GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You should lift heavier until failure with the exercises 3 sets 6-8 reps. You can try a weight gainer which has lots of calories!
  • nahtalee
    nahtalee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    TO EVERY ONE.

Okay i do P90X. It Does isolated weight training on different days and uses such equipment as weights, pull up bars, and resistance bands. I do go at a range of 6-12 reps because i know that is ideal for building muscle. Thats what i have to stick to right now later i can get a member ship and train in a gym that has more equipment yes it would be best but its not ideal for a student in my situation.

I dont choose to ride my bike i HAVE TO since it is my only form of transportation right now so not doing that cardio is out of the question. I count that as my cardio work out for the week, im not doing any other hard core cardio on top of that

No i am not doing a cleanse. I will only take whey protein. I use Optimum Nutrition All Natural 100% Whey Vanilla. its yummy. im just trying to figure out my macros here so i can gain and this is what ive come up with.

Im 5'5 18f and weigh 105 pounds
    My BMR is about 1,333.
    I multiplied that by my Active lifestyle which looks like this: 1,333x1.725 giving me base calories per day of 2,300

Next since i want to gain i added 300 calories to that giving me 2,600

As Far as Macros:

105lbx1g= 105 grams of protein change it to calories: 105x4= 420 calories from protein
    105lbx.4g= 42 grams from fat change it to calories: 105x9= 378 calories from fat

now to find carbs i added 420+378= 789........ Next i subtracted that from my daily caloric goals: 2,600-798 = 1,802 calories from carbs.

so 1,802/4=428 grams from carbs

So according to this formula i should consume: 105g of protein, 42g of fats, and 428g of carbs.

it seems like alot for me on carbs but my question now is this ideal for me to gain muscle mass?

and also do i have to add the amount of calories burned from my work outs to my base caloric intake inorder to gain? or is what i provided ideal for me. For some reason i feel like i should be intaking more protein but im not so sure, which is why i come to you guys for help.

also an another note should i alter my macros to my LBM weight? im between 14-15% so does it really matter since im not trying to lose weight, just gain muscle mass? thats just a rough estimate based off of pictures but i bought calipers recently and i just have to find some one to measure it out for me.
  • nahtalee
    Options
    Okay i do P90X. It Does isolated weight training on different days and uses such equipment as weights, pull up bars, and resistance bands. I do go at a range of 6-12 reps because i know that is ideal for building muscle. Thats what i have to stick to right now later i can get a member ship and train in a gym that has more equipment yes it would be best but its not ideal for a student in my situation.

I dont choose to ride my bike i HAVE TO since it is my only form of transportation right now so not doing that cardio is out of the question. I count that as my cardio work out for the week, im not doing any other hard core cardio on top of that

No i am not doing a cleanse. I will only take whey protein. I use Optimum Nutrition All Natural 100% Whey Vanilla. its yummy. im just trying to figure out my macros here so i can gain and this is what ive come up with.

Im 5'5 18f and weigh 105 pounds
    My BMR is about 1,333.
    I multiplied that by my Active lifestyle which looks like this: 1,333x1.725 giving me base calories per day of 2,300

Next since i want to gain i added 300 calories to that giving me 2,600

As Far as Macros:

105lbx1g= 105 grams of protein change it to calories: 105x4= 420 calories from protein
    105lbx.4g= 42 grams from fat change it to calories: 105x9= 378 calories from fat

now to find carbs i added 420+378= 789........ Next i subtracted that from my daily caloric goals: 2,600-798 = 1,802 calories from carbs.

so 1,802/4=428 grams from carbs

So according to this formula i should consume: 105g of protein, 42g of fats, and 428g of carbs.

it seems like alot for me on carbs but my question now is this ideal for me to gain muscle mass?

and also do i have to add the amount of calories burned from my work outs to my base caloric intake inorder to gain? or is what i provided ideal for me. For some reason i feel like i should be intaking more protein but im not so sure, which is why i come to you guys for help.

also an another note should i alter my macros to my LBM weight? im between 14-15% so does it really matter since im not trying to lose weight, just gain muscle mass? thats just a rough estimate based off of pictures but i bought calipers recently and i just have to find some one to measure it out for me.

p.s. OKAY i just did the percentage and it really just looks like i should only eat 16% protein ?!?!?! that seems way off. PLEASE HELP!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    your school does not have a gym that you can go to? I thought colleges gave students free access to their gyms…no?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In my opinion, P90X is really not going to be that efficient for a bulk as it is essentially cardio with weights and body weight movements….

you will have a lot better success doing something with weights..whether that is at home or at your schools gym...
  • yvelt123
    Options
    try insanity if ripped that how my dad got wash broad abs
  • SRobinson20
    Options
    I would also try an advocare Herbal Cleanse! it is the best way to clean the system and get rid of all the bloating, and fat... It will help you lose weight and gain muscles!!! :)

https://*****************

Can you please edit your post to remove this ad, now that you know it's not allowed? Thanks :)

it wont let me... sorry...
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You're a teen. Your body is very likely still changing.

Eat everything but the kitchen sink and find a calorie surplus that works for you. 200 is not a magic number. You can start at 10% of your TEE, but - since you're 18 - you may need to find an intake higher than that for you to gain an appreciable amount of muscle while everything else is changing.

As a teen, and as a newbie, a higher frequency is preferable to higher volume. Meaning, if you can do 6-12 reps, the weight is too light. Aim for 6 reps as an absolute maximum, keep your sets to 3-5, and focus on compound lifts before adding accessory work.
    To build any appreciable mass from isolation exercises you need a decent strength base to begin with.

Starting Strength is ideal.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, P90X is really not going to be that efficient for a bulk as it is essentially cardio with weights and body weight movements….

you will have a lot better success doing something with weights..whether that is at home or at your schools gym...

I do bodyweight exercises mostly and have been quite successful at bulking......

Weights have no special properties. Resistance is resistance.

p90X is a fine program. You pick the rep range you want to work with. To build muscle you want to stay in the lower-middle range. I've never used it myself but know the program well enough.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Erm, the p90x I've seen has you following their video; it's far from what experts would generally suggest is 'optimal' to gain muscle.
    I'm not saying you won't get results, just that they'll likely be a lot slower to come.

The big thing I see with using 'real' weights over body weight is that it's very easy to measure continual progression at a specific rep range.
    With body weight you can either do the same move with more reps, or adjust your position - for instance moving your feet on to something higher for a push up (though that will also change the exercise a bit each time too). It can be a bit troublesome to get consistent progression and likely run out of way to work legs in a low rep range that I've seen
  • waldo56
    Options
    Erm, the p90x I've seen has you following their video; it's far from what experts would generally suggest is 'optimal' to gain muscle.
    I'm not saying you won't get results, just that they'll likely be a lot slower to come.

The big thing I see with using 'real' weights over body weight is that it's very easy to measure continual progression at a specific rep range.
    With body weight you can either do the same move with more reps, or adjust your position - for instance moving your feet on to something higher for a push up (though that will also change the exercise a bit each time too). It can be a bit troublesome to get consistent progression and likely run out of way to work legs in a low rep range that I've seen

There is always a harder exercise. One can also augment their body weight with a small amount of weight. Information becomes scarce though as you get stronger as so few people are capable of doing the hardest exercises, of the few that can only a few of them ever writes about or notes the existence of the hardest exercises.

Measuring continual progression in a specific rep range does not lead to muscle gain progress. Muscle gain progress leads to measurable progression in a specific rep range.

Progress comes from your diet.

Because muscle is only gained in a reasonably measurable quantity in a calorie surplus, any statement about results can only mean that you will gain less muscle and more fat when bulking when doing certain types of exercises. The reason it is never framed that way is because in practice that is incorrect, people doing BW work or P90X work do not bulk overly inefficiently, in fact the opposite is often observed.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would also try an advocare Herbal Cleanse! it is the best way to clean the system and get rid of all the bloating, and fat... It will help you lose weight and gain muscles!!! :)

https://www.advocare.com/130937014/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=W3171&id=D&flavor=C
    No. She doesn't need a cleanse. She needs to up her intake and increase the weight she's using.

ETA: Cleanses don't "get rid of fat" and they most certainly don't help "gain muscles".

Actually they can. I had been eating healthy, Gluten free, and exercising before i did the cleanse, and it kick started my weight loss, helped me to get rid of bloating and internal issues.

"The AdvoCare® Herbal Cleanse system can help rid your body of toxins and waste with its unique blend of herbal ingredients.* Using a systematic approach, this 10-day system guides you day by day through the steps for thorough internal cleansing and improved digestion.* Herbal Cleanse supports the body's metabolic systems and general health during the detoxification process by helping to keep energy levels up, aiding in removing impurities and supporting the immune system.* Some people who use Herbal Cleanse for the first time experience an encouraging weight reduction and/or reduction in inches when they pair the system with the recommended diet and exercise. "
    cleanses don't exist and they don't get rid of fat! Period. Any body claiming such please explain to me in even slightly layman's terms how that happens. Some herbs are diuretics which purge water, others have caffeine or stimulants. If it has caffeine or stimulant in it it can be a "fat burner" as they free fatty acids but not enough to tell a difference. Who cares what the company said they can say what ever they want due to causation vs correlation, no regulation and even the slightest .01% truth.
  • dunderhill1
    Options
    I;m taking a really great protein powder. It's by Twinlabs called cleanseries.

I love it because it has all the necessary amino acids from whey isolate, is sweetened with stevia and gluten/soy free. A lot of protein powders are crap, either they have sugar or other crap you don't need. I'm vegetarian so it is harder for me to gain and retain muscle. Vegetable/nut protein is not assimilated the same by the body as animal protein. So now, I'm getting my daily protein and gaining muscle is easy. I noticed a difference in just a handful of days. And as I have experienced in the past with whey, there is no noticeable bloating/gas etc. I drink one before working out with 1c skim milk (bananas, cashew butter thicken it up too :) ) But, it has definitely helped. I do the machines at the gym to build muscle and then I tone with 2lb and 3lb weights. Anywho, I hope this was helpful to you. Good luck!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Diet is PART of progress in muscle gain.
    But have the perfect diet for muscle without the exercise (and the correct exercise at that) and you're just putting fat on in a calorific excess.
    Sure with steady state cardio you may still get some small muscle gains, but it'll likely be mostly fat.
    As far as muscle gain goes, it's generally accepted that a rep range around 5 is ideal for Myofibrillar Hypertrophy while around 10 reps is ideal for Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Of course the human body is very complex and gains be got from all sorts of methods.

I'd say it's much easier to continually to do movements that push a move to a specific rep range with weights as opposed to body weight.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear about a body weight exercise that replicates a heavy squat - appreciated

Apart from people sponsored by P90x, have you got anything to back up that it's very effective for bulking?
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Add whole milk to your diet. Get lactaid if you are lactose intolerant. Don't change anything else. If you are going to do P-90X you will need to find ways to increase resistance on some of the exercises such as pushups. You can do this by using progressive resistance bands. For pullups if you can already do at least 10 reps then you can get a belt and tie weights to it to increase resistance.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I do bodyweight exercises mostly and have been quite successful at bulking......

Weights have no special properties. Resistance is resistance.

p90X is a fine program. You pick the rep range you want to work with. To build muscle you want to stay in the lower-middle range. I've never used it myself but know the program well enough.

well it was just my opinion, as it seems the OP does not have a lot of equipment to work with …
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It is very good that you want to gain muscle weight. Regarding the muscle usage, your muscle needs to be exercised. Exercise fill our muscles with protein, and are the main building blocks of muscle. Now, about the weight gain. You can gain fat that is used in your body, but does not clogs. What I am talking about is called saturated fat. Saturated fats are also called good fats. If your body can get fat to burn rather than the protein, your muscles are sure to build. Coconut oil, The DV for saturated fat is 20 grams per day. There are many foods for saturated fats, Coconut, butter, dark chocolate, cheese, nuts and seeds, processed meat, rendered animal fats, etc. Choose your diet carefully.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As a side note about P90x I think for smaller individuals they can modify the workouts to bulk on it. For bigger stronger individuals it is not practical. For someone who is only around 100 lbs I think you can bulk on it.
  • waldo56
    Options
    Diet is PART of progress in muscle gain.
    But have the perfect diet for muscle without the exercise (and the correct exercise at that) and you're just putting fat on in a calorific excess.
    Sure with steady state cardio you may still get some small muscle gains, but it'll likely be mostly fat.
    As far as muscle gain goes, it's generally accepted that a rep range around 5 is ideal for Myofibrillar Hypertrophy while around 10 reps is ideal for Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Of course the human body is very complex and gains be got from all sorts of methods.

I'd say it's much easier to continually to do movements that push a move to a specific rep range with weights as opposed to body weight.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear about a body weight exercise that replicates a heavy squat - appreciated

Apart from people sponsored by P90x, have you got anything to back up that it's very effective for bulking?

The hardest BW leg exercise I know of is a deficit advanced shrimp squat: stand on something small but stable, about 3"-4" tall, with space on the side/behind, grasp your nonworking leg's foot behind your with BOTH hands, squat all the way down to knee contact with the ground.

I can do real good form pistol squats holding more than 1/3 my BW in a front rack, but cannot do even a single rep of a deficit advanced shrimp (though I can do them on flat ground).

A few pistol squat variations that are much, much harder than the basic pistol squat:
    1) Hold your nonworking knee tucked to your chest instead of straight out in front of you.
    2) Interlace your fingers together behind your lower back
    3) Hold your leg out to the side instead of out in front of you
    1&2 increase the distance your center of mass is from your knee, greatly increasing the load in your muscles. 3 changes the stability plane putting way more load on the glute medius, significantly reducing the glute maximus contribution (hence increasing the quad load).

Even doing something as simple as prisoner pistol squats (hands behind the head) increases the load a good bit. The more upright you squat, the longer the lever arm to the knee and the higher the load in the muscles (same reason front squats are harder than back squats).

Natural hamstring curls (also called ghetto GHR's) are another extremely high load BW exercise, especially if doing hardcore form; straight as possible in the hips, hands over the head, with below parallel space.

The flipside of natural hamstring curls, natural leg extensions, are also possible, but I've only ever seen one example of it being performed on video with anything beyond utterly pathetic form.

The myo/sarco is a bunch of nonsense pretty much totally unproven. You can't have one without the other, they both go hand in hand. The difference in "look" has more to do with dehydration, carb loading, and body fat levels than any actual physical differences. Muscle CSA (cross section area) has been proven time and time again to be predictive of strength potential, the 'type" of hypertrohy has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps you miss that in P90X Tony specifically says to gain muscle, increase the weight and decrease the reps.

Anyone that says that short rest periods isn't good for growth has no idea of what they are talking about. Rest pause work, with very short rest periods, is ridiculously effective for mass gains.

Staying in a single rep range is about the absolute worst way to gain muscle mass. Barely a step up from doing only straight set high rep work (which, when done pyramid style instead of straight sets, to eliminate failure/fatigue from the cardio system and lactic acid build up, and repeatedly force failure, is also a ridiculously effective mass building technique). The body thrives on a variety of rep ranges, from ultra heavy, negatives/singles/doubes/triples on up to the lactic zone (20+), and everything in-between.

Perhapsyou should pay attention to places where people have logs going that do p90X. There seems to be little issue building muscle mass while doing the program if that is the goal. I'm certainly no p90X fanboy, but a program doesn't get as big as it has if it doesn't work.

Me, I do bodyweight work and loaded calisthenics, have bulked a few times (and am right now) and gain unusually clean.
  • nahtalee
    Options
    As a side note about P90x I think for smaller individuals they can modify the workouts to bulk on it. For bigger stronger individuals it is not practical. For someone who is only around 100 lbs I think you can bulk on it.

Yeah i agree! i mean im not a huge doode who is trying to super bulk so i feel i can really make gains off of the program as long as i continually add resistance and adjust my diet to gain i feel like it will work. Plus i just got a really great set of dumbbells (bowflex 552!!!) that i can constantly gradually build up on so i think im chilling with all my equipment for the moment until i surpass that which would be a while i feel