Who really counts the BLTs?

Options
12346»

Replies

• mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When baking I have been known to eat a handful of Chocolate Chips or some of the batter, I count it..Silly but those add up.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    We ALL do it and I will have a hard time believing anyone who says they don't. BLTs are the Bites, Licks and Tastes we take through out the day but do you really track them?

Mothers cleaning up after their children. There's two cheetos left in the bag, do you eat them? If so, do you bust out the scale to see how many calories they are? Scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets? There's one or two bites left, what mother out there has NEVER cleaned their childs plate?

Anyone making a sandwich? Who hasn't gotten peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc on their fingers and then licked it off? Making some of those healthy cookies or muffins? Most people will use their fingers to scrape the dough/batter into the pan. Do you risk making a mess and losing all that goodness to just to make sure you count all those calories?

For all the chefs/cooks out there. We are taught to always taste your food so do you stop and weigh the taste of gravy, chili, the low fat alfredo sauce that you found a great recipe for and possibly burn something because you left the stove long enough to see how many calories a slurp of soup is?

So tell me honestly, who really counts the BLTs and how do you do it?

I think you are wrong! We don't ALL do it, because there are cultural and personal differences between people. I don't log BLTs, because I don't do them......There are whole cultures where people don't eat PB and hardly ever bake cookies....just two examples.....apart from that I log everything I put in my mouth.....including Halls cough drops which are anywhere from 15-25 calories for one, or a teaspoon of Sri Racha sauce, which at the end of the day makes all those little extra things add up.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a nibbler. 1.) I don't have kids. 2.) We don't keep many foods in the house that can be nibbled (on purpose).

That being said, I do LOVE to cook. Typically, when I am making dinner, I do lots of nibbling on ingredients. When I add the recipes to MFP, if I had 1 serving - I'll typically type in 1.15 servings, or something or that nature, if there has been nibbling to account for that.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Let's be real. The errors (uncertainties) in your big calorie items are bigger than all the calories in gum, diet drinks, many condiments, most green veggies, your BLTs, etc. Yes, think about everything you put in your mouth before you put it there, but don't waste your life's precious time counting senselessly. We all have lives to live, so let's live them. I've often just added up the big ticket items and then added a few hundred calories for miscellaneous. That's only dangerous if you find yourself stuffing yourself with the miscellaneous stuff. Good luck to you!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I ate one little licorice nib on Monday and counted it, it was 15 calories.

I count everything as little nibbles here and there can really add up.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I ate one little licorice nib on Monday and counted it, it was 15 calories.

I count everything as little nibbles here and there can really add up.

I didn't log 2 Tic Tacs that I ate yesterday. But, I live on the edge like that.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That's how I gained the weight in the first place. Avoiding the BLT's (thanks for giving them a name) is a focus.
  • thepezzle
    thepezzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I log most of them if I can. Even if I dont have a calorie value it makes me conscious of it.
  • lovernium14
    Options
    I stopped eating the BLTS when I started logging. For me, that is part of the incentive. If I eat that nugget, I've got to write it down. I'm glad I have a dog to give them to.
  • Omanya
    Omanya Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't write down truly random things because I don't have enough of an opportunity to eat them for them to add up. However, I do write down intentional tastes; for example, today I ate 1 T of Biscotti cookie spread, because I was craving the taste, and recorded 1.5 T because I'm sure it was over one. Another example is that I snacked on 10 g of toasted sesame seeds and recorded that.

So I suppose you could say that I work intentional BLT's into my deficit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I remember back in my WW days a woman mentioned she didn't track her BLTs (cleaning up after the kids etc, like OP said) and the leader suggested that she get a Ziploc bag and just for ONE day, popped every BLT into the bag instead of her mouth. The next week, the same woman was back, absolutely HORRIFIED at the amount of BLTs she had been having and not tracking!