How do you say NO to the bad foods!

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry enough to eat. Get a big bag of apples and eat one every time you want a little debbie?

Depending on the size of the apple, there can be as many calories and as much sugar in the apple as there is in the Little Debbie. How is that a better option? Have the Little Debbie and just account for it in your daily log. If you just eat apples every time you have a craving, you'll eat a ton of apples and blow your calorie count.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a very minimum of these things in the house... that's #1. The only chips that come into my house are the snack bags so I can indulge but only let myself have 1 bag. But honestly.... looking at my "deadline" on the calendar of when I want to be at my goal weight... and then looking in the mirror... is enough motivation in itself.

If you're a "snacker" like me.... get yourself snacky foods that are super low cal. The other day at work I polished off an entire bag of baby carrots... but it was only 170 calories.
  • Overcomer68
    Overcomer68 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ugh. At times, I know a food is bad for me other times I can't wait to dive in. How do you find the willpower or wontpower to not eat these bad foods. My temptations are my son's Little Debbies (my hubs buys them for him and my son), snacky foods cheetoes, fritoes, doritoes. yuck. I have done gum before that works and takes my mind off the bad foods that are not good for me. Any other suggestions???
    Thanks!
    I start by not labeling foods as "good" or "bad".

I agree with this.
  • TwinMamma09
    Options
    I say to myself: Is this worth it? Will I enjoy this once I log in the calories and realize I have to run another 30 minutes? : )

If it is something sweet then I usually eat fruit to satisfy the sweet urge. Another option before I grab that "bad" food is to drink a tall glass of water, that will usually fill me up and I have no room to eat the garbage.

Good Luck, you can resist and you will feel better for it.

This!!!

And sound advice from another RGIII fan! I love it!!!! Hail!!!
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    get them out of your sight as soon as you can! LOL! well, thats what i do :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Ugh. At times, I know a food is bad for me other times I can't wait to dive in. How do you find the willpower or wontpower to not eat these bad foods. My temptations are my son's Little Debbies (my hubs buys them for him and my son), snacky foods cheetoes, fritoes, doritoes. yuck. I have done gum before that works and takes my mind off the bad foods that are not good for me. Any other suggestions???
    Thanks!
    Bad foods? They are just snacks with high calorie values. You can eat them, just don't eat ALL OF THEM at one sitting or a whole bag. It's not bad foods that's the issue, it's over eating them. Just learn to have a small portion of them and not finish off more than a serving.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I still eat some of the yummy stuff!

I just make sure that my "healthy" food tastes just as yummy! I try new recipes and now I have new favorites that I actually look forward to! My fave is chicken kabobs! Sooo yummy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I pretty much get my nutrition on and then I enjoy a little "junk food" now and then. If you've met your nutritional requirements, you don't get extra credit or anything.

That said, if these foods trigger binges and what not, I'd just step away from them for awhile. A lot of these issues with food are just habitual...it only takes a few weeks to break a habit.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm a little fuzzy on what bad foods are. Help me out here, what makes a food good or bad, other than taste?

Rigger
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Log them before eating them. Then ask yourself is it worth it? If yes, then measure out the quantity you logged, then ask yourself is it worth it again?

I've done this in the past. Besides for forcing you to reconsider, I find that it also help keep to the amount you measured out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want to eat something that is unhealthy, especially if I don't have any calories, I'll do a few squats, lunges or pushups.. Then reassess how I feel, am I actually hungry, or do I just want it because it's there?
    Actually exercise does reduce hunger cravings and is a recommended remedy to do if one feels hungry and doesn't really need to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I say no to bad foods by chanting the following:

The cauliflower, which is the devil and Satan, bind him and cast him into the bottomless pit that he may no longer seduce the nations.
  • slatrenta
    slatrenta Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are no such thing as bad foods, just bad portions. We live in a world were the more we have the more satisfied we feel, but that is not the case. If you dont know the phrase " IIFYM" you should. IF IT FITS YOU MACROS is a great tool to use when you are trying to lose weight. It gives you the freedom to have the occasional cookie or chips or donut, or pizza. Things you would normally stay away from. You can incorporate these foods into your day as long as you stay in the range of your macros and you hit you daily dose of fiber. No need to suffer. A good example is "Weight Watchers". These people eat pasta, cake, cookies, breads, and still manage to lose weight all because it fits to their daily number of macros. It is possible!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

You don't. You just make them fit in your daily calorie allowance.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Moderation. We have had a pan of brownies in the house since Thursday night and my husband eats them two at a time. I eat them 1/2 at a time, once a day. Yesterday, I even had a whole brownie.

When I feel like I just can't resist anymore, I log in here and read the forums for awhile or do some exercise.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Well, when my foods go bad I typically throw them away. Otherwise, I balance my macros and eat whatever I wants in ma calorie limit.
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always try to think of it as,

"One touch to your lip, forever on your hips."

Don't get me wrong, I have my days where I binge eat on bad food, I just try to workout out gain/more to get those extra calories out of my log.
    BUT ALWAYS ALWAYS LOG!!! When you actually see what you are putting into your digestive system, it can really shed some new light on your diet.
  • Thencalisays
    Thencalisays Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of those tricks. First off it is normal to want those foods. I tend to not keep them in the house, I would sit down and talk to my husband about your goals for yourself and your family. I am lucky that for the most part my husband eats pretty healthy, he does not have a sweet tooth so he doesn't bring my trigger foods into the house anyway.
    Also when I start craving things I try to figure out what I am REALLY craving. this site is a great help: http://www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/
    I always try that first and then if I am still craving something I will indulge in a small serving. I will also log it first to see it first so I can really think "is it worth is".
    As a last ditch effort I keep my measurement records and tape measure on the fridge so it is the last thing I see when I open the door.
    It's okay to indulge sometimes, just remember portion control. I have found that the less I eat "junk" or "bad foods" the less I crave them, especially with sugar.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I say no to bad foods by chanting the following:

The cauliflower, which is the devil and Satan, bind him and cast him into the bottomless pit that he may no longer seduce the nations.

...where it OHPs from now until the end of eternity
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me it is all about how much I have worked out that day, and what it is. I love a good beer. That being said I would much rather have 1 pint of an excellant Stout which to be safe I would say has 300-400 calories than the caloric equivilant of a coors light due to the flavor factor. I try on weekends or special occasions to fit it in.