How do you say NO to the bad foods!

Options

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The problem is not bad food. It is your ability to eat them in moderation. I try to eat 80% healthy, and try to reach my protein goals, and stay under on my carbs n fats, n stay under my calorie goal. There are some foods that just taste too good to eat in moderation, for me personally, so I don't bring them in the house very often. If I do, I try to eat them in moderation, n pawn the rest off on my hubby n kids, lol. When you label a food as forbidden, that just makes you want it more. You don't have to avoid any foods to lose weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Well, when my foods go bad I typically throw them away. Otherwise, I balance my macros and eat whatever I wants in ma calorie limit.

^This^.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    1) I fit my favorite treats into my food budget and have one serving at the end of the day if I've logged and stayed with my calorie allowance. I enjoy earning a treat.
    2) There are certain things that I tend to lose control over and eat-eat-eat until it's gone. I don't buy them. If my husband does, I ask him to put them away out of sight. I do have enough self-discipline not to look for them even when I know they're in the house.

Good luck! We're all fighting battles like this, so know you're not alone but part of a team.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't like the good food/bad food divide. Every food serves a purpose to someone. But there are foods I eat less of because I'm sick of being fat.

I do, however, love food and if there is something I fancy that I hadn't planned on eating, I log the calories first, then decide if I still want it. If I do, then I eat it and enjoy every mouthful, guilt free.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't consider certain foods bad. I consider some of the preparations of the food, the AMOUNT of certain ingredients, or the places to eat out at to be bad though.

It's all about moderation for me. I can have what I want, but I have to be reasonable about it. It's a struggle everyday. The best advice I can give is to go slowly, don't beat yourself up over setbacks, and keep moving.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I don't like the good food/bad food divide. Every food serves a purpose to someone. But there are foods I eat less of because I'm sick of being fat.

I do, however, love food and if there is something I fancy that I hadn't planned on eating, I log the calories first, then decide if I still want it. If I do, then I eat it and enjoy every mouthful, guilt free.

Enjoying every bite - definitely the key! I try to savor each bite as well. Eating something too fast takes away the enjoyment, why not take your time with something you reallly like?
    And you certainly do not look fat!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Ugh. At times, I know a food is bad for me other times I can't wait to dive in. How do you find the willpower or wontpower to not eat these bad foods. My temptations are my son's Little Debbies (my hubs buys them for him and my son), snacky foods cheetoes, fritoes, doritoes. yuck. I have done gum before that works and takes my mind off the bad foods that are not good for me. Any other suggestions???
    Thanks!

There are no "bad foods." You are setting yourself up for failure in trying to eliminate all things "bad." It is better to add more nutrient dense foods to your existing diet and cut back on the portions of the so-called "bad foods" to fit your calorie budget, than to eliminate these foods altogether.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry enough to eat. Get a big bag of apples and eat one every time you want a little debbie?

Depending on the size of the apple, there can be as many calories and as much sugar in the apple as there is in the Little Debbie. How is that a better option? Have the Little Debbie and just account for it in your daily log. If you just eat apples every time you have a craving, you'll eat a ton of apples and blow your calorie count.

Roughly 3.72 apples to 1 serving of Little Debbie (I used Swiss Cake Rolls), strictly from a calorie comparison. Swapping out a more healthful and satisfying option to control a craving is a sound strategy for lots of people. I guess it depends on how important nutrition is to you. I've never binged on apples but I HAVE binged on Little Debbies. :laugh:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry enough to eat. Get a big bag of apples and eat one every time you want a little debbie?

Depending on the size of the apple, there can be as many calories and as much sugar in the apple as there is in the Little Debbie. How is that a better option? Have the Little Debbie and just account for it in your daily log. If you just eat apples every time you have a craving, you'll eat a ton of apples and blow your calorie count.

Roughly 3.72 apples to 1 serving of Little Debbie (I used Swiss Cake Rolls), strictly from a calorie comparison. Swapping out a more healthful and satisfying option to control a craving is a sound strategy for lots of people. I guess it depends on how important nutrition is to you. I've never binged on apples but I HAVE binged on Little Debbies. :laugh:

Yeah...I can honestly say that I've never eaten a bag of apples in a sitting...but I've definitely eaten 1/2 a box of Little Debbies, in a sitting. Lol!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I don't.

giphy.gif
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I say "no, thanks" if they keep persisting. I say "NO, THANK YOU!"
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Just say no. Simple as that. Or say yes and fit them into your macros. Everything in moderation or you'll go insane. :flowerforyou:
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't! I just fit them into my day once in a while. Everything in moderation.

exactly this :) if I do go a bit overboard on a particular day (1 day last week I ate a lot of cookies :smile: ) I don't worry about it as it all balances out. I look at my weekly calorie goal on MFP to stay on track, not my daily goal so I might have a couple of quite high cal days that are way over my supposed days goal but other days where I'm busy at work & home I naturally eat less as I'm one of those people that can forget to eat if I'm busy or stresses so the weekly totals work better as a guide for me than daily figures.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Which kind of apple did you use? Which size? There are many different types of apples containing different amounts of sugar, and sizes from very small to very large. There are also multiple varieties of Little Debbies. You are not comparing (ahem) apples to apples. It's not about binging, it's about deciding to eat something you like and eating it in moderation. You can have good nutrition throughout the day and still have a Little Debbie. They come individually wrapped for a reason.
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am trying not let it get to the point where I have to say NO. I keep all junk out of the house, if I am thinking about having an unplanned meal, I drink water first (I heard sometimes if you are thinking of snacking it might be that you are thirsty), I chew gum as well, I space out my meals at even intervals. I have also cut out simple carbs and starchy foods, processed foods as much as possible. I do believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie as far as a unit of energy, but I have a hard time controlling myself from overeating and later binging from simple carbs and starches, so I don't have them in the house.

Also, exercising helps your body stabilize blood sugar levels and avoid sugar crashes. I find I make better food choices and have an easier time saying "no" when I need to.

Edit: I also have one "cheat" meal per week, so if I want something, I tell myself I can have it at the cheat meal.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Which kind of apple did you use? Which size? There are many different types of apples containing different amounts of sugar, and sizes from very small to very large. There are also multiple varieties of Little Debbies. You are not comparing (ahem) apples to apples. It's not about binging, it's about deciding to eat something you like and eating it in moderation. You can have good nutrition throughout the day and still have a Little Debbie. They come individually wrapped for a reason.

I used a medium apple and the data analysis for a single serving of swiss cake rolls from fatsecret.com.

I am not disputing your point and I do not disagree with treats in moderation, however, the OP specifically requested strategies for avoiding the nutritiously sparse sugar bomb to begin with. Perhaps she wants to save some calories for healthy food. I don't know the OP well enough to judge their food attitudes based on a single little debbie craving. I'm not sure why so many people have a problem with the OP having a goal of avoiding empty calories.
  • johnny7625
    Options
    I just don't eat them cause they are addictive I was depressed a couple months ago and i gain 1 size after i got out of that circle I returned to the gym was a little ashamed cause i gain weight and It was hard to start again cause of the weight It takes a toll on you this is when I said to me that is not worthed to compromise your own health for that kind of food but that's just me I know you can control them I just prefer to avoid them.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I used a medium apple and the data analysis for a single serving of swiss cake rolls from fatsecret.com.

I am not disputing your point and I do not disagree with treats in moderation, however, the OP specifically requested strategies for avoiding the nutritiously sparse sugar bomb to begin with. Perhaps she wants to save some calories for healthy food. I don't know the OP well enough to judge their food attitudes based on a single little debbie craving. I'm not sure why so many people have a problem with the OP having a goal of avoiding empty calories.

OP's original question: How do you find the willpower or wontpower to not eat these bad foods. My point being that it is a misconception to think of any food as "bad", and learn that it is okay to eat any food in moderation. Thinking of food as "bad" leads to avoidance, avoidance leads to bingeing, and all such behavior leads to people who just give up in frustration. If people take the time to learn to eat the foods and treats they like in moderation along with the foods they need for optimal nutrition, they'll be much happier and more successful in the long run.
  • losingit4ever63
    Options
    It is very hard I know. My husband doesn't need to lose weight so I have to buy things for him to snack on. Most of the times I will get him things that I don't like, but he likes some of the cookies I like so I have a cabinet set a side just for him and I put all of his snacks in the one cabinet and I tell myself those are Michaels and you can't eat them. I buy myself the snacks and treats that are good for me so that I will not be tempted to eat him. Fiber one makes some really good and tastey snacks that are only 90 calories, so I buy them. I don't buy 1/2 gallons of ice cream. when I want an ice cream treat, I buy one of those single serving ice creams. When I buy ice cream for my husband, I buy a flavor that I don't like. I tell my fellow weight loss friends that if it is not in the house, then you can't eat it. As far as your sons snacks goes, you can ask your husband to put them in a place that you don't know about, or up high where you can't reach them. Try telling yourself that they belong to your son and you can't touch them. The one thing that has been working for me is I keep reminding myself that only I can control what goes into my mouth. No one else. I have the power to choose what I eat or don't eat. Good luck and I hope you reach your goal. Feel free to talk to me any time you are feeling like you can't do it. I will be glad to be here for you.
  • MNgal43
    MNgal43 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone!!!!! Awesome views and information! I appreciate it!!!!! :)