The I Hate Breakfast Club

Options
I know I can't be the only member of the "I Hate Breakfast" club. I was indoctrinated with that "it's the most important meal of the day" all my life by the media, but no one ever ate it in my household. Literally, my mom fed me nothing before sending me off to school each day, so I grew up in the habit of not eating until lunch. Now, as I've tried to build healthy eating habits over the past year or so, I've tried to get in the habit of eating some sort of breakfast, but it's just not my thing.

Anyone else out there in the same boat? Do you try to get yourself in the breakfast habit, or have you just accepted that it's pointless? When I started healthier about a year and a half ago, I was drinking half an envelope of Carnation Instant Breakfast with almond milk, and sometimes a banana or other fruit, or a homemade fruit or green smoothie in the morning. I slacked off on that, but I'm starting my food tracking today now that I've signed up at MFP, so I'm restarting some sort of breakfast, too, even if it's just liquid.

I do tend to be ravenous by lunch time, so hopefully going back to something in the morning will help. I doubt I'll ever be the sort of person who can eat a massive full breakfast, though, even though I love breakfast foods. My stomach just says "no way." I just consume them at lunch time when I'm in the mood for pancakes, eggs, bacon, or whatever.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat anything before lunch time, usually around 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. I do drink some caloric drinks before that though. I always start the day with a cup of soy milk because this helps me meet my calcium goal. And I frequently have a V8 around 11 a.m.

But I don't hate breakfast, I simply am rarely hungry in the morning. On the occasions when I wake up hungry, I eat breakfast. I'm a big fan of eating when hungry, but not until hungry.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Ugh, breakfast. I wake up thirsty, not hungry, so I very rarely eat anything before 9am and I wake up at 5-6am. I've tried smoothies. In the summer, sure. It's -18 without wind chill in my part of Wisconsin right now, so I don't want a freaking smoothie, okay? I just eat my gummy vitamins before leaving my apartment and pack food items in my backpack to take to work with me so I can eat some cheerios when my body is ready for solid food.

ETA: It's 10:17am and I'm eating breakfast now.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Breakfast = Breaking the fast

Eat when you are hungry
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat first thing in the morning if you don't want to. It is NOT "the most important meal of the day".
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I had snickers and reeses peanut butter cups for breakfast... These are facts.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you don't want breakfast, the don't eat it. Seriously, you don't have to eat when you're not hungry.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i don't eat breakfast at breakfast but i do love me some breakfast foods at dinner!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    INteresting
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    How can you hate "Breakfast Club"? Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald? It's a classic!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Eat when you are hungry

Exactly. Your first meal of the day is breaking the fast, or breakfast, no matter what time of day you eat it or what type of food you eat.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Eat when you are hungry

exactly. I also have this thing against it "being the most important meal of the day" yeah it probably is but if you think WAY back to hunting gathering times, we had to WORK for our food so it didn't come out of a cereal box within 20 mins of waking up. I personally eat around 9ish am every morning no matter if I wake up at 5am or 9am. that's when I feel hungry. I DO feel like you should drink around a quart of water or a liter after getting up. Water is more important than food early in the morning plus it kinda gets your system moving :D

and the stress of always getting breakfast if you don't want to eat can hurt weight loss too. Just saying ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How can you hate The Breakfast Club

x7mOlwP.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally love breakfast...but there is nothing inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy" about having it or skipping it. If you don't like breakfast, don't eat breakfast and get your calories later in the day.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    How can you hate "Breakfast Club"? Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald? It's a classic!
    Ut6bUE3.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely hungry in the morning and I usually feel a little sick, so I rarely eat breakfast.

I love breakfast foods, though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

x7mOlwP.gif
    Also this.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Eat when you are hungry
    This!

Do what works for you, not from what everyone else says! Find when you're hungry, and eat then.

I am up usually around 5:00-6:00am, and usually don't eat breakfast till 7:00-8:00am.

x7mOlwP.gif
    HAHA so true.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Best movie EVER!!!
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have coffee first thing and "breakfast" around 11 am...or as I like to call it, meal 1.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, but it usually isn't until around 10-10:30am. First thing, I have a glass of water and my coffee. My breakfast usually consists of 1-2 hard boiled eggs and a Greek yogurt. Then I eat at normal times during the rest of the day.

If you don't want to eat first thing, don't... do what works for you!