The I Hate Breakfast Club

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry in the morning, I eat breakfast. If not, I don't. The only exception to eating in the morning when I am not really hungry is when I need fuel for the gym.

Not sure it has to be more complicated than than in most cases.
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm usually not in the mood to eat until 10-11am, but some days I feel like I need to have something. I usually have a smoothie because it doesn't upset my stomach.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast at about 6pm
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    The-Breakfast-Club-opt.gif \m/
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    Yep! This is me! I really don't like most breakfast foods (except oatmeal), and I tend to want heartier meals than breakfast typically warrants. If I eat right after I wake up I feel sick to my stomach, so I will make my breakfast and eat it when I get to work. I wake up at 7 a.m. and eat sometime between 9 and 10 a.m.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I used to skip it, now I eat it..

one way or the other it has no impact on metabolism or fat loss...
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I leave for work just after 7 in the morning and I just can't eat at that time, it's too early! If I'm not working I'll get up later and I'm quite happy to eat around 9. Early eating just doesn't suit me at all so I have a cup of tea and then have an early lunch at about midday. Seems to work for me, I don't ever seem to have been hypoglycaemic, headachy or weak in the morning but the "most important meal of the day" stuff does get to me occasionally and I feel that I should eat breakfast. So glad I'm not alone after all :smile:
  • stpt_guy
    stpt_guy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never was really a breakfast person either, but I have found that something as simple as a cup of Honey Nut Cheerio nock off and 2/3 of a cup of milk will get me started and is light but provides some grains and gave me a little boost of energy. I then graze on veggies/fruit in the morning at my desk until lunch and then will consume my lunch but it keeps me from being hungry by lunch and just devouring a ton of food which then results in me being tired because of an insulin rush.

I try to consume at least 150-200 calories between breakfast and lunch then again between lunch and dinner. Overnight is where I seem to get myself into trouble with consuming the most calories.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I do tend to be ravenous by lunch time, so hopefully going back to something in the morning will help.
    I think that this is where the problem lies, why people say to eat breakfast. Usually when you are ravenous, and not thinking, you make poorer choices. I would grab something in the morning like a couple of boiled eggs, or a healthy granola bar, or a bag of cereal, or a bag of nuts, or whatever, and then eat when you get hungry. If it's close to lunch time and you must eat lunch at lunch time, then eat very little, just enough to tide you over.

I find eating healthy and staying under my calories to be easier if I just have healthy food with me and I eat my meals when get hungry throughout the day.
  • smiletime82
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast fan either. I'm just not really hungry when I wake up, but I find that if I don't eat a decent breakfast, then I have trouble getting all my calories during the day, so I make myself. I have to cook for the kids before they go to school, so I just make myself something to eat with them. Today, I just had a quick bowl of oatmeal, or in the summers a smoothie. I have been trying. If I don't have time to cook, I'll just eat a protein bar. I get chocolate ones, so it's like eating a candy bar for breakfast!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just clicked through this link to defend Molly Ringwald...

...but now I see that this thread is strangely about meals. *shrug*

(As for meals, I just eat breakfast around noon, lunch around 6p, and dinner around 8p. Problem solved.)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Came in to see Breakfast Club gifs. Was not disappointed.

Now I await Steve098's arrival.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    I love how so many of you put it into perspective. It's "break fast," with no specified time, despite all the indoctrination from cereal commercials in my misspent youth. The Trix Rabbit and that weird cuckoo bird lied to me. I'm going to opt for a late morning snack on the days I don't feel like an early smoothie. I suspect that's more the normal pattern my body would like.

As far as The Breakfast Club, some of them like, Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy are doing okay, but have you seen Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall lately? That's enough to scare the early morning appetite right out of me.

550w_celeb_birthdays_judd_nelson.jpg

anthony-michael-hall-t-mobile-launch-sidekicks-01.jpg
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I hate breakfast more than I hate calculus. Except for pancakes, but I really prefer them for lunch and let's face it, no matter how you dress it up a pancake is just not good for you (good for the soul though, with blueberries).
    Unfortunately I have a toddler who LOVES breakfast, eggs specifically, so I make some for him on a daily basis. Today we shared some stale Cheerios and carrots.
    I don't get super hungry by lunch if I skip breakfast though, I actually get hungrier if I eat it. Even just a glass of milk will make me feel ready to gnaw off a limb by lunch time, so I set out some premeasured snacks for the time I'm doing stuff around the house before lunch is ready.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist told me this morning that you MUST eat something before your morning workout. . .and all I could think was "you want me puking on the treadmill?"

I get up at 4:30 and am at the gym by 5 - with nothing but water. I get to work at 7, have some coffee, and usually about 8:30 is when I eat. I can not eat first thing in the morning, my system needs to get up and get going first.

My metabolism can just start later than everyone elses, and that's fine by me!
  • mellemelmo
    mellemelmo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be a "anti-breakfast" person, too. I also leave for work at 7 am, and I can't eat that early (nor do I have time considering how much I love to sleep) so I drink my coffee and pack breakfast and lunch to the office every day. It's not much, just heavy on protein--usually plain Greek yogurt and fruit with a very (very) small amount of granola. I start getting hungry about 8:30 or so, and eat then. Weekends I get started an hour later and eat eggs and toast because I can cook, but again, protein.

I did have to make myself start eating breakfast--and it's true, at first, I wasn't hungry in the mornings, and I didn't get hungry until noon. But I really think it was bad habits, not 'my preference'. If I'm awake and moving, my body needs fuel, and I have a much easier time meeting my goals and not overeating when I'm hitting two thirds of my calories before I get home in the evening. When I eat very few calories throughout the day, I'm too ravenous and can't get full.

It was worth the "force" just like making myself drink water...for me. Now I'm usually full by dinner times and which is helpfully when I end up at events with snacky junk food... and I'm fueled when my body actually needs fuel. I feel better. YMMV, but it might be worth giving it a month or so to try it out.

BUT--here's the Caveat-- your question was, "Is it really the most important meal of the day?" and it sounds like the answer is, Probably doesn't matter...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/breakfast-health_b_4436439.html
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I had snickers and reeses peanut butter cups for breakfast... These are facts.

That's a breakfast I can get behind!!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Wut?

I loved that movie.

tumblr_mn2tuc8iwv1rcy99do1_500.gif

tumblr_m7rv838XV01qd8qcdo3_500.gif
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Befroe MFP, I never ate breakfast. Then I would be starving at 10AM counting the minutes until my lunch break. I have started buying and eating Special K meal bars in the morning on my way into work. They are super yummy and I can take it on the go and I can chew it. (I don't like drinking my food) If I am not ready for it on my drive in, I keep it next to me and eat it when I am ready. It helps. I have learned to eat as soon as I can in the morning and avoid getting overly hungry. If I do that I tend to binge so I keep small things handy like the special K bars to hold me off till mealtime.
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist told me this morning that you MUST eat something before your morning workout. . .and all I could think was "you want me puking on the treadmill?"

I get up at 4:30 and am at the gym by 5 - with nothing but water. I get to work at 7, have some coffee, and usually about 8:30 is when I eat. I can not eat first thing in the morning, my system needs to get up and get going first.

My metabolism can just start later than everyone elses, and that's fine by me!

I like this!!!