Dropped soda completely .. Pounds not falling off??

Options

Replies

• VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You have had some great advice. It is hard when you are starting out plus having a new born. You mentioned early in the thread that your wife struggles with pre-planning meals. I remember my brain being mush for the first few months after having a baby so is this something that you could take over from her? That way you get to control what you eat and it would be a huge help to her. If you pop bubs into a pram and take it shopping as well you get the double benefit of a bit of walking exercise and give your wife a break. This would also put you in the running for Husband of the Year award.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Have you tried diet soda? Took me a while to get used to it but now I like it.

do NOT switch to diet soda - it is absolutely HORRIBLE for you.
    Really? I've been drinking it for over 25 years and haven't ANY of the side effects purported to happen if you drink it. If you have good dental hygiene, don't drink tons of it a day, and still get in enough water, diet soda does fine if you need that sweet kick on a daily basis.

If you looked at his diary, you would see that he was drinking around a 1/2 gal of soda a day - substituting diet soda in it's place is not the answer, in fact people have a tendency to consume more soda when they switch to diet because all they consider is that it's sugar-free.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ig109
    ig109 Posts: 12
    Options
    You have had some great advice. It is hard when you are starting out plus having a new born. You mentioned early in the thread that your wife struggles with pre-planning meals. I remember my brain being mush for the first few months after having a baby so is this something that you could take over from her? That way you get to control what you eat and it would be a huge help to her. If you pop bubs into a pram and take it shopping as well you get the double benefit of a bit of walking exercise and give your wife a break. This would also put you in the running for Husband of the Year award.

LOL.. I didn't necessarily mean to single out my wife as we do it together.. As a group it usually fails.. because when you make the list on Sunda what sounds good for dinner on Tuesday night may not sound as good once the day gets there..

I don't really count the walk into work or the walking around at work as of now.. Our Virgin Health miles has a pedometer that we are supposed to wear and log.. I can start cross logging that on here too I suppose..

I will say that I feel different and a little better about myself for trying this out..
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Tonight I applied what I learned today.. I tried a baked potato rather than instant.. kept with the servings.. Used a food scale to correctly measure and honestly enter the amount of food I ate and was surprised by the outcome.. I am currently 900calories under my goal for the day but still (due to ham for lunch) way over my goal for sodium.. I am going to have to finish my ham out for the week just because I have already paid for it and am not made of money..

I sub'd in Mrs Dash in for salt.. It tasted so much better than just salt and was sodium free..

To the people posting here just making it a pissing match please stop.. Message one another if you wish to argue.. I am doing this to try and help myself change my dietary habits..

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

You sir, win the internet for the day!!

Great job taking some of the great advice listed here and making some changes.
    Just continue making some small changes and be patient. Weight loss isn't linear. You will lose more some weeks than others. You may even gain back some from time to time.
    You will have times that you fall back on old habits. That is normal human behavior. Don't beat yourself up too much about it, but just get back on track as quickly as possible.
    Look at your overall progress. One bad day doesn't negate a week of good days, just like one good day doesn't negate a week of bad ones.
    Moderation and consistency is the key.

Enjoy that new baby while you are creating a healthier body that will be here to watch him grow up!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

... because when you make the list on Sunda what sounds good for dinner on Tuesday night may not sound as good once the day gets there..

^^ I totally agree with that, it stops me from meal planning completely as well and can sometimes cause me to waste food.

Good luck
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

... because when you make the list on Sunda what sounds good for dinner on Tuesday night may not sound as good once the day gets there..

^^ I totally agree with that, it stops me from meal planning completely as well and can sometimes cause me to waste food.

Good luck

Me, too.

That's why I'm starting to make big meals with the intent of freezing them - then I can pull out what sounds good on the day and just re-heat. It also takes some of the stress out of cooking the meal in the first place. I can actually sit down and relax with my dinner before cooking instead of running around like a maniac because I'm starving and I know it's going to take me an hour to make an actual meal.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I agree.. The deli meats are killing me.. The preprocessed foods are in the process of being cut with our lifestyle and with a new baby in the house dinner time is short.. so we are often forced to make something quick and dirty...
    Boar's Head has really tasty low sodium options. I've been getting the low top round roast beef or my son's lunch and the low sodium ham for my daughter's. They're a little more expensive, but much tastier than others & a huge sodium/chemical savings.

Dianne the loss is slower than I would have liked.. I was hoping that by cutting so much soda out it would fall away IE 6 lbs a week.

Niner.. the only place that I have added any food to my diet to replace soda is breakfast.. I never used to eat breakfast I would grab a 44oz soda or two instead.. with my calculations I think that the addition of 300ish calories of breakfast should still outweight the soda calories..

Could the lack of caffeine be effecting my metabolism?
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Tried to insert a comment in response to part of a quote, and it didn't work out for me. ;)
  • ig109
    Options
    Yesterday I was down on calories but 2xxx mg over on sodium.. Plus as an old habit she brought home chineese food which I love.. Figured that It won't hurt me.. and then put freaking soy sauce on it without even thinking.. Gotta remove my head from my own butt..

Still ended the day below my calorie goal though..
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    You know, Rome wasn't built in a day. It's good to keep in mind to eat fewer processed foods, but too many drastic changes all at once are a recipe for poor adherence. Make the changes that are comfortable, then make a few more, get comfortable, then make some more. Over time, this will add up.

What's so wrong with that approach? (Aside from it's not sexy to see gradual progress?)
  • pklme
    pklme Posts: 9
    Options
    Without the caffeine are you more relaxed, therefore burning less calories? Sounds obvious, but it may have an impact...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was down on calories but 2xxx mg over on sodium.. Plus as an old habit she brought home chineese food which I love.. Figured that It won't hurt me.. and then put freaking soy sauce on it without even thinking.. Gotta remove my head from my own butt..

Still ended the day below my calorie goal though..

Take out is going to have a ton of sodium in it... added soy sauce or not.

But you are going in the right direction in the fact that you are AWARE of what you are doing and that something needs to change. So you have done step 1! Congrats!

Step 2 in my opinion is the dreaded meal planning. You don't have to still with "On Monday I will have XX, on Tuesday I will have YY...". Make a plan for the week in general. Then, fill in the meal with the day as you go. If you know you are going to have any insane week, then do a bit extra work on the weekend. Make a big pot of soup and eat off of it for a few days. Chop up your vegetables and bag them for easy use later in the week. Crock pots are amazing for easy meals. Being prepared means less trips for Fast Food, less Take out, and spending less money in general... not to mention that I find it a LOT easier to lose weight when I cook my own food and control what goes in it.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Josh P. I am 27years old and have recently started using the 'pal for tracking my daily intake.. I am 6'5" tall and was 270lbs when I began back on January 13th. The tracker teamed with our company's virgin health miles is helping me keep tabs on what I eat and helping me make changes..

Well as a little background I was used to consuming on average 3 - 4 44oz Mt Dews a day.. which is about 1400 - 1600 calories worth of SODA alone. The soda was the first to go.. I went straight cold turkey on it.. straight to water and koolaid made with splenda. My friends assured me that the pounds would just fall off.. but as of yet they haven't.. I know that perhaps I am being a bit impatient.. but I would have thought that cutting 1400 calories out of my daily intake would have made the pounds fall off..

As of now I am not exercising yet.. Plan to start but just haven't yet. Will this help..

Also I am consuming a large amount of sodium in my daily diet.. Can this cause me to hold water / consume alot of water?

My blood pressure has been extremely high lately (144/99 is most recent reading) , can this be tied to the lack of caffeine? Dietary Change?

How can I lessen my sodium intake?

I usually eat a bowl of cereal for b-fast, a deli meat sandwich and a serving of chips for lunch, and some sort of meat/potato/salad for dinner..

Any chimes in or help would be appreciated

my bet would be the caffeine in the mountain dew was acting as an appetite supressant and now you are no longer having it, you are eating more to compensate
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    in regarding to blood pressure and sodium.. i myself use to add hot sauce to almost EVERYTHING! in an effort to monitor my blood pressure I had to stop... I don't cook with salt at all, I use mrs. dash, onion or garlic powder. But if it causes your food to be 'bland' while you are in transition to stop your sodium intake, find a salsa that is very low in sodium. I found a local made salsa in my grocery store that is VERY low in sodium... if I run out I will usually squeeze a lemon, or add a few herbs to it.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Good luck

Me, too.

That's why I'm starting to make big meals with the intent of freezing them - then I can pull out what sounds good on the day and just re-heat. It also takes some of the stress out of cooking the meal in the first place. I can actually sit down and relax with my dinner before cooking instead of running around like a maniac because I'm starving and I know it's going to take me an hour to make an actual meal.

Conversely the boyfriend is always taking meat or a frozen meal out of the freezer to thaw. And because we didn't have a plan to eat that item it would go to waste.
    Of course he usually takes that food out of the freezer when we have food already to eat in the fridge :grumble:
  • ig109
    Options
    Another of my main problems is that I am not made of money and we already have all this food in the house that is easy prep and box stuff.. But I cannot afford to throw it all out.. So for the time being I am just going to have to watch my combinations and once it is all gone I can start making truely home made stuff so I know what goes in it..

Just can't work enough to justify throwing all that food away.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Another of my main problems is that I am not made of money and we already have all this food in the house that is easy prep and box stuff.. But I cannot afford to throw it all out.. So for the time being I am just going to have to watch my combinations and once it is all gone I can start making truely home made stuff so I know what goes in it..

Just can't work enough to justify throwing all that food away.
    No, don't throw it away, just be aware of your nutrients. You can lose weight eating processed food as long as you don't continually go over your daily calorie goal. Keep an eye on the sodium too.

Did you see my post way back about how 1900 calories is not enough for you? I linked a site that lets you figure out what you need to eat based on your height, weight, age, and activity level. You should be eating at least 2500 and probably closer to 3000 calories a day. I'm a lot older and smaller and I eat 2300 a day and still lose.
  • ig109
    Options
    I don't feel like I am missing out on anything when I eat 1900 calories.. I am never hungry nor do I feel malnourished..
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I am missing out on anything when I eat 1900 calories.. I am never hungry nor do I feel malnourished..

I took a look at your diary for the last three days. Either you didn't log everything, grossly underestimated what you logged, or you are not eating 1900 calories a day. This could sabotage your efforts as eating at a deep deficit for a long period could cause a cortisol release that will cause your body to work more effeciently and decrease your calorie burns.

I haven't quite followed the conversation to the point to know why you made the above statement. But I did notice this and wanted to share with you before you frustrate yourself (which mental stress can also cause cortisol release).