How do you like your oatmeal?

Options
With the colder weather coming on soon, it will be time to switch from cold cereal to oatmeal. My question is, how do you like your oatmeal? I cook mine with water, then add 1% milk, 1 tbsp of peanut butter and a banana. I'd like to see what others do with theirs.

Replies

• totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder to mine
  • RB12000
    Options
    Hey I like to make enough for the week at once, and I add either vanilla or maple extract, cinnamon, and splenda or Diabetisweet (brown sugar subustitute). I'm looking forward to reading other oatmeal ideas!
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Oats, unsweetened chocolate or vanilla almond milk instead of the water, fruit of some kind (cut up apples, raisins, craisins, even had it with prunes), tsp of honey, a pinch of salt, and a good shake of cinnamon or apple pie spice. Cook then top with a scoop of Greek yogurt (I like the hot and cold contrast). I've also added a 1/2 tbsp of cocoa to the oat mix and that's good too (might need to add a tad more sweetener).

Edit: You could also make mini apple crisps that would be awesome for breakfast. Peel, core, and slice half an apple and layer it in the bottom of a small dish (like a 4" ramekin) that's been sprayed with a bit of cooking spray. Add a bit of spice on top of the apples. Then add mixture of oats, sweetener, spice, and a few tsp of butter (or similar spread you use) that have all been combined into a crumble topping. Bake (or microwave) till the apples are tender. Top with a scoop of yogurt.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love them with unsweetened almond milk (1/2 the amount, then the other 1/2 water) and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter or my new obsession, cashew butter. That is one delicious breakfast!
  • kidakiwi04
    Options
    Since I love oatmeal I like to make mine about a million different ways but my all time favorite is made with water add about 2tbsp of pet evaporated milk brown sugar and maple syrup Yum. I also like to make it with 2% milk apples, honey and just a smidge cinnamon.
  • canadiangirl35
    Options
    I like mine with apple juice instead of water and a tbsp of vegetarian protien flakes (taste like almonds) and 2 tbsp of dried cranberries.
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do many different things:

1) I add cinnimon or allspice with 1/2 an apple sliced ( I eat the other half while I wait for the oatmeal to cook)

2) I often add 1 or 2 egg whites (added protein in the morning helps keep me full while I am teaching)

3) 1/2 Cup oatmeal, 1 scoop whey protein, 2 egg whites, add some water to make a paste...put in small frying pan with lid...wait until oatmeal has risen, then flip it over without the lid...I call it the protein pancake and eat it with 1 tbsp. of peanut butter/half banana OR almond butter with sugar free jam.

4) I also like to add cinnimon/allspice with dried raisins :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I make mine with water and then add in maple or vanilla low fat yogurt. Makes it nice and creamy and gives it more protein.
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Mmmm.... I never mixed in peanut butter! Sounds yummy with the banana (especially since I have been on a PB & banana sandwich kick the past 2 weeks). I use old fashioned oats- cook in water. I only make 1/4 cup instead of the 1/2 cup recommended for the serving size, because its less calories & i find it filling (plus i can add more stuff to it & not have my calories out pf control!) I add a splash of cinnamon, one teaspoon of brown sugar, and about 1/3 of a medium banana. Then I top with 2 tablespoons of Silk Vanilla soy milk. It's so good!! I started making my oatmeal for breakfast a few weeks ago- as soon as the mornings started getting a little chilly here in NY!
  • cathyfigueroa
    cathyfigueroa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have mine with rasberries,blackberries,blueberries and flaxseed and chia seeds with vanilla soymilk. 1 tablespoon of brown sugar but after today I'm not doing the brown sugar all do honey instead.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of dry oatmeal cooked w/ 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup blueberries. Then I add in 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (extra protein!), 1/2 scoop of chocolate Shakeology, and 1 t. Natural crunchy PB (or 2 T. PB2).

It's also good w/ canned pumpkin and cinnamon at this time of year!!

Try different fruits and nuts for a change! Chopped apples, bananas, berries, and sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, or peanut butter. Yum yum!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I don't care for runny oatmeal so I use half the water it says. I add cinn and nutmeg usually. Sometimes I make it with apple sauce instead of water. Another MFP-er got me hooked on the Better Oats brand of oatmeals. The Chai spiced is good, and the Chocolate is ok too. Haven't tried the other 10 flavors yet.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    made with water... then walnuts and one forgotten cookie. Lovely...
  • I use a cup of 1% milk, 1/2 cup rolled or long cooking oats, a mashed banana, 1/2 tblsp of wheat germ and ground flax seed each, 2 tsp of cinnamon .... And if I'm throwing caution to the wind .... Once in awhile I add 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. I eat this almost every morning for breakfast because it's great for high cholesterol.
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump....lovin' these ideas! I'm addicted to peanut butter and banana...I never thought of putting it in oatmeal, I'm so having that :love:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow, all of these sound awesome. I'm gettin' hungry.

I like to crumble up a piece of candied ginger in mine, or mash in half a banana for texture.
  • I just read all these replies!! WOW!! I now have some great new ideas to try!! Thanks all! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: