How do you like your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, 3/4 cup water, 1/8 tsp salt in the microwave on 50% power for 6 minutes. Then I add 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp Splenda, 1 tsp brown sugar, and 1/2 cup 1% organic milk.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    gotta try the peanut butter idea, and the pumpkin one too
    often I have it with almond milk and a teaspoon of unsweetened cococut.
  • tralalara
    Options
    1/2 cup Old fashioned oats-1 cup water-shake of salt. Cook 3 minutes in micro. I add half a scoop of protein powder, just a smidgen of butter, a few drops of stevia and alot of cinnamon.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I really like the thought of pumpkin in it. Are we talking premade pumpkin pie filling, or just the canned pumpkin?? >..<

Solid pumpkin in the can. Not the pie filling! It's really amazing, my favorite breakfast in the fall!! :bigsmile:
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I use old fashioned organic oats; half water, half milk. Some cinnamon, 2 tbs of brown sugar, a smidge of butter, and some chopped nuts - whatever I may have on hand, and some raisins.
  • starstealing
    Options
    canned pumpkin ftw!!
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    2% milk and then a tablespoon of either:

Honey
    Raspberry Jam

Bot mix in really well and so far not got bored of 'em.
  • lauraparkerrr
    lauraparkerrr Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm dreadful, i make mine with semi skimmed milk and drizzle golden syrup on top :)
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've actually gotten hooked on the steel cut oats b/c they seem heartier to me, plus I prefer the nutty texture. It takes a little longer (8 minutes or so) but Trader joe's has a 'quick cook' variety that takes closer to 6 minutes.
    I just make it with water, then pour it into my bowl over a tablespoon of CRUNCHY peanut butter and some skim milk. I'm old fashioned, that way...thanks, Grandpa! :)
    Sometimes, I add a bit of maple syrup, but I don't usually keep it in the house, so it's a rarity.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal in the nude is best, it's how I enjoy mine too! :laugh:

That is how I like mine...hahah...sometimes if I'm feeling crazy i add dash of cinnamon.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Bumping again... I see another oatmeal post! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Solid pumpkin in the can. Not the pie filling! It's really amazing, my favorite breakfast in the fall!! :bigsmile:

Ever since we were talking about this I have been craving pumpkin! I asked at the store the other day and they said that they should have some in stock soon. I will be stocking up as soon as it's on the shelves!! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Another good one is whole cranberries (not dried). They start bringing them out in the fall also. They are tart but soooo great in oatmeal!! :bigsmile:
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of protein powder, a tbsp of flaxseed meal and a tbsp of chia seeds plus skim milk. If I'm feeling sluggish I add a tbsp of bee pollen.
  • brockly25
    Options
    I like oatmeal. And it's good for you. Somi eat alot of it. Not because unlike it so much
    But because it keep me full. And I like it lol

1 Cup of uncooked "old fashion"' oatmeal don't like the instant stuff
    2. Tea spoon brown surgar. Yummy yummy !!!
    1 tea spoon of raisin
    1/4 cup 2% milk

That's how I like it. Wish I could have 4 slices of toast with butter on it and a big glass of milk with jam on the last slice
    Of toast. Lol. That's how I use to eat it. Lol
  • 4KidFather
    Options
    With the colder weather coming on soon, it will be time to switch from cold cereal to oatmeal. My question is, how do you like your oatmeal? I cook mine with water, then add 1% milk, 1 tbsp of peanut butter and a banana. I'd like to see what others do with theirs.
    I'm Scottish. SO I have oatmeal ALL DAY sometimes.
    Breakfast (in WI) with frozen blueberries and maple syrup. PB for filling and calories.
    Lunch. Cold, or in the microwave.
    Dinner.
    My family traditionally made a pot for the kids in the morning and reused the leftovers for dinner by adding legumes like lentils for dinner. Legumes and grains go together to make a complete protein. So this is a wise way to get vegetable protein if you're thrifty ;) or have 16 children with half of them working down the mine all day, or in the fields.
    Try it, Legumes and Grains (e.g.Peanut Butter and Bread). It's a very popular strategy in India.
    -Gordon
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal..............

Steel Cut Oats cooked in the crock pot. I don't eat the processed oats. And oats are the only grain I will / can eat.

1 cup of steel cut oats
    handful of blueberries
    couple shakes of cinnamon
    splash of heavy cream

This breakfast keeps me full for hours and hours and hours..................
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Ever since we were talking about this I have been craving pumpkin! I asked at the store the other day and they said that they should have some in stock soon. I will be stocking up as soon as it's on the shelves!! :bigsmile:

YAY!!!!!!! I found the canned pumpkin on the shelves at Kroger today!! Can't wait for pumpkin oatmeal! :bigsmile:
  • carol4
    Options
    I use the instant oatmeal. I know its not the best but delicious just the same.
    Anyone else go for the instant?
  • mam734
    Options
    I use the instant and add hot coffee instead of water.