Buying "fake" products to impress others?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
I for one don't like to spend extra money on say a pair of dry-fit T shirts because of just the name on it. Most dri-fit shirts are made by only a couple of manufacturers and the company they make them for, put their logos on them. So I'll buy a Champion Gear shirt at Target over a Nike shirt especially when the difference is about $10.

But I know many who buy "fake" or "imitation" products just so they can impress others. Fake Rolex's, fake Gucci bags, fake diamonds etc, but claim it's the "real" thing. Why not just buy a nice quality bag even if it's not a Gucci or Coach?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Because people buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Personally, some things I'm all for name brand, other things, I couldn't care less.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    absolutely not at all. I don't want the real thing, so I certainly don't want the knock off of it, either. Especially not to impress anyone.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...

and shame on all Scotty Cameron users for using fake knockoff Ping designs...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, never. I buy stuff that I need and is cheap. I'm not here to impress anyone.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't bother with this silly trend. I only care about what I like.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Knock off name brands never impress people who actually posses/ or are familiar with the real thing. You are not fooling anyone and, if anything, are drawing attention to yourself for being too cheap/poor for the real thing.

Which is why I always just buy the best quality I can afford, even if that means a less than recognized label.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When it comes to clothing, I'll buy anything I think I look good in. I don't care if it's a knock-off or 'real' or something no one would want to knock off. If I look good enough in it, who is going to be looking at the label?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    But my man bag IS Prada!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    If they want to save money instead of buying fake... they could find the outlet store.

I buy my watches from the outlet.

And Coach? Yes there are fakes, but again... outlet.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.

CoachFakevsReal1.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    If they want to save money instead of buying fake... they could find the outlet store.

I buy my watches from the outlet.

And Coach? Yes there are fakes, but again... outlet.

The best job I ever had was a Coach outlet.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think it's about self-esteem and validation. They don't see value in themselves unless they have nice things. But they can't afford nice things.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    But my man bag IS Prada!

You mean your European Carryall?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I would always know it was fake, and therefore, I wouldn't value it. For me, it's more about being proud of what I have than impressing other people.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A lot of them are manufactured in China. Look like the real thing though unless completely examined.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I bought fake NFL jerseys for my kids from China, $22 vs $120. I live in Pittsburgh and 1/2 the kids wardrobes are NFL jerseys. My 8yr asked for a stitched jersey for Xmas because his classmates said they are more valuable than screened (LOL, couldnt believe it). Plus, when the player gets traded, they wont were them, with the ones from China, you can take off the name and use the shirt for pick up games. I tell everyone about it and send the link, so its not like I am passing it off as authentic

FYI, A lawyer friend of mine said its not illegal to buy them, its illegal to sell them.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm filthy rich, but would never spend my hard earned money on a Coach bag... Real, Outlet or Fake.

Hair_flip_Santany.gif
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I'll always take functionality and price over brand, but do you know who uses the same material? That does interest me. I usually will only buy the stuff when its "old/on sale" and I actually found some old Nike long sleeve dry fit material that I really like...but by the time I get things, wear them a while and realize I'd like more, the model is on to the next year (or next couple years) and they usually don't make them anymore...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I bought fake NFL jerseys for my kids from China, $22 vs $120. I live in Pittsburgh and 1/2 the kids wardrobes are NFL jerseys. My 8yr asked for a stitched jersey for Xmas because his classmates said they are more valuable than screened (LOL, couldnt believe it). Plus, when the player gets traded, they wont were them, with the ones from China, you can take off the name and use the shirt for pick up games. I tell everyone about it and send the link, so its not like I am passing it off as authentic

FYI, A lawyer friend of mine said its not illegal to buy them, its illegal to sell them.
    This I can go with since there are lots of unofficial NFL shirts, pants, jerseys out there. It's just showing your team preference.

IDEA Fitness member