Buying "fake" products to impress others?

Options

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.

CoachFakevsReal1.jpg

I like the fake one better, lol.

I never buy for the brand, I only buy what I like, but I'm a 'minimalist', so I don't buy much.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.

CoachFakevsReal1.jpg

Both ugly, imo.

I do own a nice leather Coach bag that I bought on sale for a grrat price. I've had it a very long time and it looks brand new
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone's ever been assaulted or robbed of their "fake" bag or jewelry?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I bought fake NFL jerseys for my kids from China, $22 vs $120. I live in Pittsburgh and 1/2 the kids wardrobes are NFL jerseys. My 8yr asked for a stitched jersey for Xmas because his classmates said they are more valuable than screened (LOL, couldnt believe it). Plus, when the player gets traded, they wont were them, with the ones from China, you can take off the name and use the shirt for pick up games. I tell everyone about it and send the link, so its not like I am passing it off as authentic

FYI, A lawyer friend of mine said its not illegal to buy them, its illegal to sell them.

The Chinese NHL jerseys are terrible. For the Coyotes they use the red wings red with the letter kit for the alternate jersey, meaning everyone can tell its fake. I would rather buy a real one than wear such an obvious fake.

My Coach bags are some of the best made purses I have. They remain in better condition than bags I have bought at say Target. I buy these as more investment pieces. I know they will last and look good for years to come. I buy trendy, cheaper purses if I want to switch it up.

I will pay for quality pieces that I will wear/use many times.
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I bought fake Uggs for $12 to annoy the crap out of my friends. :laugh: Other than that, I wouldn't bother.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have name and non-name brand stuff in my closet. I can't always tell the difference in quality. Some of the Old Navy or Champion gear looks good enough that I've thought about buying an iron on patch or something. But I'm married with kids. I don't need to impress anyone.

The only area that I won't skimp is footwear. I'll be mad if my Nike swoosh falls off.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm filthy rich, but would never spend my hard earned money on a Coach bag... Real, Outlet or Fake.

Hair_flip_Santany.gif
    tumblr_m72rdle4wv1qkahso.gif
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love my coach sunglasses :smokin:
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am cheap. I will only spend more on an item (assuming the quality is equivalent) if it helps keep my neighbors employed. I don't give a damn what the brand name is or how popular it is. I did care about those things when I was a kid....but then I grew up. ***One exception*I do STILL really want a pair of Doc Marten's but am waiting till I reach the 100lbs lost mark and then will spend the extra for the ones actually still made in England and not their cheaper poorer quality overseas made lines. I honestly don't know why adults get caught up in brand identification....
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    A lot of them are manufactured in China. Look like the real thing though unless completely examined.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think most of the real ones are too.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I am cheap. I will only spend more on an item (assuming the quality is equivalent) if it helps keep my neighbors employed. I don't give a damn what the brand name is or how popular it is. I did care about those things when I was a kid....but then I grew up. ***One exception*I do STILL really want a pair of Doc Marten's but am waiting till I reach the 100lbs lost mark and then will spend the extra for the ones actually still made in England and not their cheaper poorer quality overseas made lines. I honestly don't know why adults get caught up in brand identification....

I got my pair of Dr Martens in 1997 or 98 and I still have them to this day. They look just as good as they did back when they were new. I don't wear them all the time, though--- but still. They are one great quality shoe.

They look like this, the style hasn't changed:
    drmar265369_25149_jb.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

CoachFakevsReal1.jpg

Both ugly, imo.

I do own a nice leather Coach bag that I bought on sale for a grrat price. I've had it a very long time and it looks brand new

I agree. I have several leather Coach bags (cause I worked there for a while) and I love them and they look just as good now than 8 years ago.
  • losingwhatican
    losingwhatican Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Depends. Some people buy those products to simply impress people, others buy them to present as more respectable/trustworthy/intelligent. Even if someone is all of those things in the first place, we do judge people on their appearance, especially if they appear poor, and that affects how we treat them (e.g. whether they're followed around in a store, if their children are treated well by teachers, and whether or not they get jobs or other things they need). Being and appearing poor is a grave sin in America, and many will do anything to avoid it.

Whether or not it's "convincing" is up to the observer, but that's how I understand it.

http://tressiemc.com/2013/10/29/the-logic-of-stupid-poor-people/
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The joke is on them...things like that don't impress me---and the type of people who are impressed by such piffle have opinions that aren't worth the prices paid for the knockoffs.
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My house was robbed about 4 years ago, I had a brand new purse (with the tags still on it) from Target that cost $25.00 on my dresser- I had an $800.00 Coach purse sitting right beside it.... the idiots stole the Target bag and left my Coach purse there.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am more likely to buy knock off brands that are not actual fakes. My coat is Free Country brand, I paid three dollars...it is seriously just like the North Face. I do not need to impress people with brands, I am 37 yrs old...

But sometimes I like the "real thing" too...for example I have a Coach bag and Ugg boots, love 'em and have gotten *years* of wear out of both. However my bag doesn't have the C logo all over it. It's just brown leather. My Uggs aren't that recognizable unless you look at the logo patch on the back of each heel (which mine have a tag that is stainless steel instead of brown cloth anyway) and they have little straps and studs all over them leading most people to think they're just some random black boots..but the sheepy lining is awwwwwesome when it's freezing outside.

Actually when it comes to spending cash I'm more likely to have luxe things others will never even see like a Tempurpedic bed, and then wear my thrift store clothes daily. Everyone has different priorities.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    My house was robbed about 4 years ago, I had a brand new purse (with the tags still on it) from Target that cost $25.00 on my dresser- I had an $800.00 Coach purse sitting right beside it.... the idiots stole the Target bag and left my Coach purse there.
    In a thief's point of view, they probably went with the one that was "more likely" to have been used.
    Thief sees tag.. No money inside, rush job.. Grab, run before po-po sees you?

Probably.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I ordered Doc Martens from England in 1991, when I was 14...saved up 13 weeks of my $10 allowance for those boots and they were still in my closet in 2011 when a tornado struck...granted I didn't wear them *DAILY* after about age 17...but they were still in good shape :-)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Doesn't particularly bother me - I don't really look for specific brands in the first place.

But... could it be 'better' to spend a little mone on fake stuff to impress someone rather than spending a LOT of money on real stuff to impress someone?

A while ago I was tempted by a nice watch and was looking at some of the fakes which had a good rep.
    However, no way I could justify even the cost of the replicas (hundreds) never mind the real thing - that'd buy me a good few tyres for my track motorbike, or hell - another motorbike :).
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I for one don't like to spend extra money on say a pair of dry-fit T shirts because of just the name on it. Most dri-fit shirts are made by only a couple of manufacturers and the company they make them for, put their logos on them. So I'll buy a Champion Gear shirt at Target over a Nike shirt especially when the difference is about $10.

But I know many who buy "fake" or "imitation" products just so they can impress others. Fake Rolex's, fake Gucci bags, fake diamonds etc, but claim it's the "real" thing. Why not just buy a nice quality bag even if it's not a Gucci or Coach?

IDEA Fitness member

Shirt labels to impress people --- fake watches to impress people --- Meh.

Just wondering however, were you trying to impress me by adding your credentials to your post?