Diet Soda vs Regular Soda vs None

Options
Hello! I'm struggling to lose that last 10 pounds (at 140..and want to be at 130 and i'm 5'4")

The only constant factor in my life that i can think of that may be hindering that weightloss is DIET soda.
I've cut out unhealthy snacks, fatty meats, and fast food. I strength train and do kickboxing for cardio.
I've read that your body doesn't process diet soda as well as it would normal soda..I was wondering if this is true. (obviously i know that neither diet or regular soda is good for you at all)

Have any of you achieved your weightloss/fitness goal by drinking diet or regular soda? (one a day or one every other day)
I'm trying to completely cut it out of my life but, right this moment, it's not possible for me to go cold turkey.

Any help/advice/success stories would be awesome! :]

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've lost all my weight still drinking diet soda. I've never hit a plateau for more than a week or two (water retention, yadda yadda). I still eat fast food, ice cream, pizza and stuff. Honestly, what is your current intake? Do you weigh and measure your food? Are logging every little thing? Generally, if you hit a stall it's a need to recalculate your goals. How long has the stall been? Losing weight goes slower the closer you get to goal as you have less fat to lose. You want to lose at about .5 to 1 lb loss a week to minimize LBM loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This is a wonderful link. Hope this helps!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Have any of you achieved your weightloss/fitness goal by drinking diet or regular soda?

Yes. I have 1-3 diet sodas a day. I've lost 10lbs since Sept. 1 (I'm on a small deficit).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has 0 calories and has no direct effect on weight loss or gain.
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    awesome! thank you for the link. and i've been at a standstill for about 8 months now. Given I did a two month break from november-december..but before that i was exercising all the time and eating right. I haven't been meticulous at all about counting calories/weighing things so maybe i ought to look into it. thank you!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I haven't been meticulous at all about counting calories/weighing things so maybe i ought to look into it. thank you!

Always go back to the basics. It's not diet soda, it's the haphazard logging.
    Options
    i've read that diet soda tricks your body into thinking it's going to receive sugar so it ends up messing up your body's insulin levels and ends up not knowing what to do with sugar, besides store it as fat, when you do get real sugar. I have also read that it makes you crave even more diet soda and junk foods. I am aware that it has no calorie content, but the sweetener in it is artificial..and was just wondering if normal soda is better processed by your body.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i drink tons of diet soda!!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    i've read that diet soda tricks your body into thinking it's going to receive sugar so it ends up messing up your body's insulin levels and ends up not knowing what to do with sugar, besides store it as fat, when you do get real sugar. I have also read that it makes you crave even more diet soda and junk foods. I am aware that it has no calorie content, but the sweetener in it is artificial..and was just wondering if normal soda is better processed by your body.

my body is pretty smart, it doesnt get confused or tricked... it just "does" what its supposed to.
    Options
    i drink tons of diet soda!!!

awesome!! thank you :]!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Lost that weight and have maintained it for two years... all while drinking an average of 2 diet sodas a day. Also some regular sodas included in there, but I don't drink many of those. I don't like liquid calories because they don't provide much satiety.

VVV
    Options

my body is pretty smart, it doesnt get confused or tricked... it just "does" what its supposed to.

Okay. Well that's good. I was just wondering if what I was reading was true. Not that everything ever published is based on facts. But I've read it several times and was just wondering.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    my fave is a 50/50... like the ice cream bar...

diet orange sunkist and diet creme soda, poured in a huge cup over ice...

yummy!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the soda. It is horrible for you.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

In what way? Link with legitimate sources such as pubmed.
  • EszterNZ
    Options
    I still drink it occasionally (coke zero) just coz I love it so much, and I do find that I get more bloated and water retentiony afterwards. I find that with anything Fizzy I have though..
    I will probably have diet soda drinks around 4 times a week to satisfy those tastebuds :P
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

so is there air we breathe here in los angeles...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    The most credible source on diet soda and weight gain that I've seen to ever show a positive correlation between the two noted that folks who drink diet soda tend to eat more calorie-dense foods. That's not the diet soda causing the weight gain; that's folks thinking that because they opted to have the zero calorie soda instead of the (say) 200 calorie soda, they can treat themselves to the 600 calorie slice of cake.

Correlation isn't causation, and I've yet to see a peer-reviewed study with a causal link between diet soda and non-water weight gain.
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Cortney,
    Sometimes you have to increase your daily calories. The body get's use to the lower calories, and thinks it need to conserve.. Therefore, fool the body by eating a bit more, and you will take off those last 10 lbs.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    my fave is a 50/50... like the ice cream bar...

diet orange sunkist and diet creme soda, poured in a huge cup over ice...

yummy!
    That sounds freaking awesome!
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Busy Rae, Yes I too have lost weight drinking Diet Soda. It does not contain sugar, however, because the artificial sweetner is many times sweeter than sugar. This fools the pancreas and it send insulin to help the body.