weighing food = eating disorder

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    If she bugs you about it you could always say you also use it to make sure you eat enough while losing weight...because it is true.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    I'd like to see her bake a cake if she thinks measuring things is disordered.
    right?
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Now I want cake.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    For the record, almost everyone in my family is either overweight or morbidly obese. So anything out of normal is looked as being wrong. For instance a few years ago I got down to 200lbs. When I told my family I wanted to get down to 145, most of them told me that was too skinny and unhealthy.

I think that tells you all you need to know about how much they know about portion control and a healthy relationship with food. Just be aware that as you progress with your losses, it'll probably get worse before it gets better (meaning unnecessary odd comments like this). I've seen it happen to people on here and heard it in my own life from certain people also. Be prepared to just brush it off and let it roll off your back. Just remember that you're doing this for you not their approval.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now and while I do still pay attention to portion sizes (for example I know 3 Oreos equals 1 serving, not 8 cookies lol), I no longer keep a daily food diary. I spot check and do a bit of mental math during the day, but I'm able to maintain just by doing proper portion sizes and also differenting between real hunger and things like habitual eating, eating out of boredom etc. Nothing wrong with weighing food and keeping a food diary, but I don't think it needs to be a forever thing either (at least as strictly enforced as during the weight loss phase). I do think some people go to extremes and that's not healthy (for example reading of people who bring their food scales to resturants always make me cringe), but some people will go to extremes, no matter what they're doing and they don't represent the majority.

Also, I am very selective in what I tell people about what I've done/do, even to those who are losing weight themselves (people I know in real life). I know what I'm doing is working and I don't need unsolicited advice/criticism.
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I personally need a food scale because I have a tendancy of overeating and this helps keep me in line. Do whatever works for you !!!
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a food scale this past weekend. I love it. I now know how much I was overeating in the past. I don't think you need to worry about what your aunt said. Just eat healthy, "proper sized" portions and you'll be fine.

I did the same thing - bought a food scale - and measuring cups to keep myself in check. I thought I was measuring properly but in reality I was getting too much or not enough. I agree that this is just to help get you the "proper sized" portions. Once you figure that out you won't need to measure anymore. Even experts say to measure for portion control.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If we had all been taught what an appropriate serving size was from the beginning – instead of being bombarded with heaps of food at restaurants and super-sized options at fast food – maybe we'd all intuitively be able to prepare and serve food without measuring it. But that is simply not the case. We get commercials showing bowls overflowing with breakfast cereal, then small print on the side of the box indicating a serving size is half a cup. I don't think weighing/measuring food is a sign of an eating disorder, I think it is a sign of teaching yourself proper portions. Eventually, you won't need to do it anymore anyway – it will just become second nature.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Truth is, American portion sizes are out of control... What we think we should be consuming is often vastly more then what portion sizes are so weighing your food just re-educates you as to what a potlrtion size really is. I mean techinally, those who don't keep tabs on what they eat often suffer from their own disorder... Namely obesity.

As long as you are eating and staying healthy don't listen to the negative nellys, they are more then likely jealous of your dedication...
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I just got my food scale this week and while part of my family went "that's actually a really great idea" the other half went "wtf, no, that's too time consuming, too obsessive, is BAD for you." Then they spew a bunch of crap about how you can't eat this or that and you have to basically starve yourself blah blah blah.

I'm just sitting there like.....it takes maybe an additional 20 seconds to weigh my food and record it on a piece of paper :indifferent:
  • sewalker6
    Options
    Anorexia nervosa is a mental health disorder. Weighing food won't cause you to have a mental health disorder. However, weighing food can be a trait that someone with anorexia displays. Food just happens to be the focus for an anorexic, but if you placed someone with this disorder in a controlled environment, you would most likely find that they would have another obsession; e.g. cutting, or pulling out their hair, or drinking.

I can assure you-- those with anorexia didn't "catch it" from weighing food. There was most likely a disorder present long before they had food control issues.

Weighing portions is a perfectly normal thing to do. Just like exercising daily, or keeping a food journal. It keeps you accountable.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I felt way more guilty about eating food before I decided to start exercising and tracking calories. Before I would eat and eat and then feel so bad about how much I ate, like two orders of chili cheese fries from rallys, I can't even imagine how many calories that is. Now, I eat guilt free because I know I'm not eating an insane amount of calories every single day. And now instead of reaching for a box of brownies (and eating three packs) when I get sad or upset, I make myself sit down and think over my feelings.

Some days I go over my calories a little bit. I'm fine with that, because its not a big deal as long as I'm still doing good most days.
    I'd like to see her bake a cake if she thinks measuring things is disordered.

Lol!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    She clearly doesn't know the definition of Anorexia. Does she balance her budget or checkbook? Clearly has a money disorder then.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ignore idiots, even the ones who are family members
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Oops double post, silly phone.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't usually tell people that I count my calories because I don't want people to have the wrong idea. Although I do mention it sometimes. But, some people think that any kind of awareness of calories, thinking about calories, watching what you eat is disordered eating. Those are their own issues and/or lack of proper understanding. Also, it seems that some people think that once you lose weight you will just keep losing it. I only lost around 5 or 10 pounds at most, but people were worried I would continue to lose weight. I've maintained this same weight for almost 2 years now. Sometimes people will tell me I look thin and ask me if I lost more weight. The answer is that I haven't lost weight, my weight is the same, or I may even weigh up to 5 pounds more than the last time they saw me. My weight fluctuates within a 5 pound range. But, all of their worries are unfounded. People realize that now that they see me the same weight as I was a year ago, and when they see me eating sundaes and cake and pizza. But, most people got it all along that I just work on my health and fitness.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    totally. Math + science = unhealthy

lolwut?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This is why I generally don't talk to people outside of MFP about weight loss.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting in general can lead to a lot of disordered thinking...obviously it doesn't mean that everyone who counts calories or weighs and measures everything has an ED or disordered thinking, but many do. There is plenty of evidence right here on MFP.

If you can weigh and measure and track your intake while still maintaining and/or developing a healthy relationship with food then it is the best way to go in my estimation...but people often do go down a very dark road when they start doing this stuff. For those that suffer ED, it is generally not recommended to count calories or weigh and measure their portions, etc as it often triggers their disorder.
    Agreed.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    This is why I generally don't talk to people outside of MFP about weight loss.

This is exactly what I was going to write. Keep it for yourself OP no need to get stressed out with other people opinions, we get enough of that in the forums.