Is a heart rate monitor necessary?

Options
npostemni
npostemni Posts: 102 Member
I was wondering if I should purchase a heart rate monitor. If so what kind should I purchase? I want one that works but that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks!

Replies

• Dougf90
    Dougf90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 is one of the best purchases I've ever made, not even just for fitness but over anything else in general. As for an arm and a leg, it depends how you're pricing your arms and legs. I'd suggest finding the lowest price using the google shopping tool (or just Amazon) then finding a coupon code for that particular site... you'll probably get the best deal out there that way.
  • cmasonrock
    cmasonrock Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for something that I can sync with Endomondo using my Galaxy S4 - any suggestions?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you like gadgets get an HRM. They aren't terribly useful in my opinion unless you are training for a specific goal.

I personally have a Polar FT7 was like 60 bucks?
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started out and own the FT4. I believe it was around $55. I am looking to upgrade to a FT7 in order to know what % of fat I am burning as I believe this product offers that feature. Personally I feel that it has been worth the money for me. MFP definitely overestimates what you burn here. Pairing that with a food scale and you can have a great combination in my opinion.
  • cmasonrock
    cmasonrock Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started out and own the FT4. I believe it was around $55. I am looking to upgrade to a FT7 in order to know what % of fat I am burning as I believe this product offers that feature. Personally I feel that it has been worth the money for me. MFP definitely overestimates what you burn here. Pairing that with a food scale and you can have a great combination in my opinion.

I agree about the Overestimations by MFP's caloric burns. I usually shave some off the final number before I post. Try endomondo for all your fitness workouts. it will auto sync with MFP. Its great.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    IDK I have never used one.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7 and have found it to be accurate for me when I do steady state cardio, as my results show this. I don't think it's real accurate for strength training/weight lifting, though, because that does not get my heart rate up.

If you do get a HRM, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    If I could do everything over again I would not have bought a heart rate monitor. For me, it was a waste of time and money that made me afraid to exercise. For me, it brought anxiety and I didn't push myself enough because I would see my elevated heart rate and then I worried that I was over exerting. I have become comfortable listening to and watching my body, knowing that my body is the best reflection of my workout.
  • npostemni
    Options
    I meant I do not have over $100 to spend on a heart rate monitor right now.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I meant I do not have over $100 to spend on a heart rate monitor right now.

None of the HRMs anyone has suggested here were over $100? If you don't want to buy one why ask the question?
  • npostemni
    Options
    I meant for the arm and a leg question. That's what I meant by that statement. No need to be rude.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can find good deals on Amazon. The one I got was on sale for $25, originally $75. So, just look around and wait till the price is right. I love mine. It's way more accurate than MFP or the machines.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Do you really need one? It depends on what you will be using it for. Are you wanting to know how many calories you burn during exercise? I use it strictly to track calories when doing cardio. I use an estimation when lifting as I hear it is not accurate for that.
  • GetFitForAJ
    GetFitForAJ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and I wonder what i would do without it. It is not a necessity but good to have if you do strength/weight training exercises.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar FT7. I used to think it was a must, but I only used it for a short time & sold it on ebay. The burns it showed are higher than MFP, but I just used MFP to be on the more conservative side. How I found the HRM useful was when I transitioned from the treadmill to outdoor running. The HRM really helped me learn to control my pace, other than that I never used it anymore. I like my fitbit one.

edited to add this: On some people it shows that they are burning less than what MFP shows, in my case it showed a higher amount.
  • christinamariex
    christinamariex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and LOVE it! I got it for around $100 at JCPenney.com :) Best $100 I ever spent!
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex that I really like. I was working out with my Kinect and felt that is grossly underestimated my calories burned. I started using the HRM and it seemed to correlate with my exertion level pretty well.

I really want to improve my fitness level and the HRM helps to track fitness in an objective way.
  • katieexi3
    Options
    They aren't really a necessity unless you want to know how much you are burning. If you are eating a clean diet and excersising regularly, you will see changes.
  • ohheytoned
    ohheytoned Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 is one of the best purchases I've ever made, not even just for fitness but over anything else in general. As for an arm and a leg, it depends how you're pricing your arms and legs. I'd suggest finding the lowest price using the google shopping tool (or just Amazon) then finding a coupon code for that particular site... you'll probably get the best deal out there that way.

Yep, the FT7 is the best on the market right now simply because it's the most accurate. It works with a chest strap so you get a very accurate BPM and calories burned estimate. I can't work out without it now. A lot of people say that MFP actually OVER-estimates the calories you burn when working out, but I found that I'm pretty vigorous when I work out and MFP was actually UNDER-estimating the amount of calories I was burning (and not by a little - usually by like 100 cals!). It has helped me be able to eat more food because I know exactly how many cals I can eat back now, and as a result not be so hungry all the time.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you can get cheaper ones but I guess it depends on what you want it for - i just ordered a loop but haven't gotten it yet but I believe I will still need a HRM for specific workout information? I don't know I am waiting to see what it has I know it tracks the same as a fitbit but there were some added options I think.