Is a heart rate monitor necessary?

Options

Replies

• thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No. But it is a lot of fun. And you'll get really accurate counts for your exercise calories. I eat all of mine back so I don't want to over estimate.
    PS - I got a FitBit for Christmas and it is even MORE fun than my old Polar Fit HRM!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you want to do cardio correctly it is an essential item.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy a heart rate monitor 2 years ago...and never did, b/c I didn't want to spend the money. I went from a size 10 to a 4, so technically, you don't NEED one. I just use the calories burned feature on the cardio equipment and the MFP estimates of cals burned. I usually input the lower estimate into MFP so I don't overestimate cals burned. I've also read repeatedly on MFP that they are very inaccurate for estimating cals burned while strength-training.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You do not NEED one to be successful.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If I could do everything over again I would not have bought a heart rate monitor. For me, it was a waste of time and money that made me afraid to exercise. For me, it brought anxiety and I didn't push myself enough because I would see my elevated heart rate and then I worried that I was over exerting. I have become comfortable listening to and watching my body, knowing that my body is the best reflection of my workout.

I quoted you because I wanted to comment on just about everything you said (not knocking your reasons). Me on the other hand - I'm total opposite. I am lost without my HR monitor. I find that it makes me want to work harder to reach the different levels (fat burn, cardio etc.). I keep a pocket calendar in my gym bag and after my workouts I write down what I did, how much time (and if TM the distance) and the calories I burned as well as other info (sore muscles, etc.) so I can look back over the dates and compare workouts, see where I can improve etc. As far as "over exerting myself" I know if I'm short of breath, dizzy etc. that I need to back off. I do look at my monitor at those times to see what my HR is.

I guess bottom line it's all personal preference if you use one or not. I'm a real "info kind of person" - some people aren't. My DH works out but can't be bothered with using a HR monitor.

OP - I have a Polar F4 and love it. I agree if you go with a HR monitor the ones with the chest strap are more accurate than the wrist ones (I had a MIO Fitness before my Polar) and it was way over on the calories I burned for exercise. Even worse than the HR monitors on the machines!. Good luck, let us know which one you decide to get.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you eat back exercise cals, it is a good tool. But if you are only going to buy one gadget for weight loss, I would suggest a digital kitchen scale.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    No. But it is a lot of fun. And you'll get really accurate counts for your exercise calories. I eat all of mine back so I don't want to over estimate.
    PS - I got a FitBit for Christmas and it is even MORE fun than my old Polar Fit HRM!

I toyed with the idea of the FitBit but at this point I can't justify it since my Polar F4 isn't that old. Maybe if I find a screaming deal.....:yawn:
  • agnes1377
    agnes1377 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 that I got on Amazon for about $ 60. I wanted to know how many calories I actually burn because I wasn't sure if MFP was correct . I do Leslie Sansone's walks but I use weights or the stretchy toning band and it turns out I burn between 50-100 calories more than MFP says. Came in handy for me.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You do not NEED one to be successful.

I agree! If people are successful eating at McDonald's, people can be successful without a HRM. If you feel that MFP overestimate the calories burned, just don't eat them all or trust more the numbers in the cardio equipment. That is what I did, and still do.

On the other hand, if you like gadgets and feel more comfy wearing a HRM, just get one but be aware that they don't seem to be very accurate for strength training.
  • pecantan09
    pecantan09 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it is. I have the Polar FT40 and love it!! I push myself more being able to see what zone I am in on the watch. My fitnesspal grossly overestimates calories burned. Keep in mind...you pay for what you get.
  • christasibley
    christasibley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :) agree.
  • christasibley
    christasibley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I meant for the arm and a leg question. That's what I meant by that statement. No need to be rude.

:) Agree
  • alouts
    alouts Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been looking for something that I can sync with Endomondo using my Galaxy S4 - any suggestions?

I have a Zephyr HxM bluetooth sensor (about $75 on amazon) that pairs with my phone and hooks seamlessly into Endomondo (and various other apps, I'm sure). I like it - it's light, durable, recharges easily, and have never had an issue with it pairing or reading out data. It's just a hardware sensor, so you need a phone with an app to store/manage the data, but it sounds like that's what you're looking for.

I had a polar strap and watch long ago, and was always annoyed that they locked you into their software and held onto your data tightly, which is why I went this route a while back. You can push your data into whatever app you want and merge it with other info from other places, etc.
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had a polar strap and watch long ago, and was always annoyed that they locked you into their software and held onto your data tightly, which is why I went this route a while back. You can push your data into whatever app you want and merge it with other info from other places, etc.

FYI, Polar is no longer a closed universe. I have a Polar H7 and it pairs seamlessly with mapmyrun (and presumably other apps too)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if I should purchase a heart rate monitor. If so what kind should I purchase? I want one that works but that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

What are you trying to accomplish? I ask because an awful lot of people are under the mistaken impression that HRMs measure calorie burns - which they don't.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if I should purchase a heart rate monitor. If so what kind should I purchase? I want one that works but that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

What are you trying to accomplish? I ask because an awful lot of people are under the mistaken impression that HRMs measure calorie burns - which they don't.

Exactly. OP, may I recommend reading this blog post about what HRMs do and don't do?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739
  • alouts
    alouts Posts: 3
    Options

FYI, Polar is no longer a closed universe. I have a Polar H7 and it pairs seamlessly with mapmyrun (and presumably other apps too)

Ah, good to know. Took them a couple decades, but glad to hear that they finally saw the light.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I also have an H7 and I pair it with Digifit on my iPhone. Gives me great information that I use to improve my performance. I can't imagine not using it now.

But I'm a gadget girl. I also have a Fitbit One that I use for motivation to keep moving.

Do I NEED these items? No. But working out and weight loss is a lot more fun.

What do I NEED for my weight loss journey? A good scale... one that measures in grams.
  • discobarbie1971
    discobarbie1971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like using mine in a spin class helps with the high intensity intervals, some times you might feel like you are pushing yourself but the HRM says different.

Also good if you want to monitor yourself to stay within a fat burning zone.

I use mine to keep track of my progress. I have had a Polar FT4 for 2 years+ and its been a good entry level product, does the job and is relaible and it picks up the cardio equipment in the gym I go to so you don't have to hold on to the monitors on the machines.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I meant for the arm and a leg question. That's what I meant by that statement. No need to be rude.

Quotes are a useful tool - they ensure people know who you are replying to.