How do you make SALMON?

Options
Hello MFP world. I am trying to up my Protein and I've read numerous articles about how wonderful Salmon is for you, and how high in protein it is. I love grilled shrimp, tilapia and halibut, but the few times I've tried Salmon I wasn't impressed.

Now I'm not a "great cook"...okay, I'm actually a "mediocre" cook...lol So I am looking for some ways to prepare Salmon, what kinds of seasonings work well, is there something people dip it in (ie. Cocktail or Tater Sauce?)

Any ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated!!!!

THANK YOU!!! :)

Replies

• rogerhartford
    Options
    I microwave it from frozen to fully cooked in 5 1/2 minutes. I'm a lousy cook though. A lazy cook as well. :laugh:
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Take a frozen filet (still frozen) and make an aluminum foil pouch for it. Drizzle with olive oil, your choice of seasonings, dash of lemon juice. Seal tight, bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes. Comes out perfect every time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just season it and grill it. Sometimes I just use a little black pepper and garlic powder. Sometimes I add chili powder and spice it up. I don't like it at all with sweet sauces or seasonings. But many people do.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like to brush on some marianade made from dijon mustard, olive oil, onion granules w/parsley, black pepper, sea salt, minced garlic and lemon juice. Bake in the oven. Yum!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I do LOVE Garlic....and onions....I didn't know if that would go with Salmon. I also enjoy aioli sauce and Dijon mustard.

These are all great suggestions! Thank you.
  • spoons81
    spoons81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love grilled salmon with BBQ sauce!!
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Like so, with a little dijon, honey and pepper:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/honey-mustard-glazed-salmon-fillets-recipe.html

Delish results every time :)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The sky's the limit with adding to the salmon. Some great ideas here as well. However, if you prefer Tilapia and halibut, you can stick to those as you'll still be getting the Omega-3's and other good fatty acids from the other fish - maybe just not as concentrated.
  • molinette
    molinette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love cooking it steamed with soy and lime juice (replace the trout with a salmon fillet): http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1031/thaistyle-steamed-fish

this recipe is also gorgeous and low fat too: http://loulovesfood.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/dinner-bengali-salmon-parcels.html
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cut salmon fillet into 2 inch pieces (up here its already frozen that way but if you're cutting it from a big fillet).

Mix:
    1/2 cup half fat mayo (you can use full fat, I don't though)
    lemon juice to taste
    chopped fresh dill
    salt & pepper to taste

Place salmon on foil lined baking tray. Spoon on above mayo mixture, spread evenly, flip salmon and repeat. Place under the broiler for 4 to 5 minutes, flip, then broil another 3 to 5 minutes (we like our salmon flaky). Voila. As long as I haven't cross contaminated the mayo mixture, my husband does use it cause he likes to dip his salmon in it.
  • lauribear
    lauribear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    BBQ it on a cedar plank!

Soak the cedar (or maple or alder) plank in water for 8 hours. Season the fillet with salt and pepper. Top with sliced lemon rounds and a sprig of fresh dill (or rosemary or thyme) or just do salt and pepper. Put the salmon on the plank and put the whole thing on the BBQ at medium heat for about 20 minutes. It's sooooo good!

Also, honestly, the type of salmon you buy will impact the flavour. Wild sockeye is much richer tasting and less fatty than a farmed Atlantic salmon. Pink and chum also have good flavour, but they can be harder to find. I find Atlantic salmon (which is a type of salmon, not the region it comes from) is generally pretty tasteless.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've had luck making it in the crockpot with dill and lemon juice. It turns out really juicy.
  • crrampersad
    crrampersad Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    wrap it in tin foil along with your favourite herbs - I just use Mrs Dash lemon pepper. Then run it through the dishwasher. Sounds funny eh but it works

Or oven roasted with sliced lemon on top. The juices from the lemon will leak into the salmon. Mmmm
  • Awna87
    Awna87 Posts: 2
    Options
    So glad I came across this post! I made salmon for the first time last night....it was ok. I need recipe ideas. I'm really trying to stay on this eating clean kick.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Pizza! No seriously. Use your favourite pizza dough, add some pesto, leek, tomato paste and then add slices of salmon. Sprinkle with cheese if you want to.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have a few recipes I like to do with salmon.

Parmasen crusted- broil about 8 min, then add black pepper & shredded cheese on top and broil until browned...about 2 min.

Coconut oil- smear or brush melted coconut oil onto salmon, salt. Broil about 10 min until crispy on top.

"Longhorn steakhouse" style- marinate at least 2 hours in soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, oil, pepper, onion powder. Lay fish on a pan, broil about 10 min.
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I smoke all of mine and eat it cold