How do you make SALMON?

Options

Replies

• J3ss1caD
    J3ss1caD Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Marinate the salmon in some teriyaki sauce... Wegman's has a teriyaki sauce that's glucose free, lactose free, and vegan.

But yea.. marinate it for a few hours.

Cover baking sheet in tin foil. Slice an orange into thin slices.. spread on baking dish forming a rectangle shape. Plop salmon on top (skin down if there's skin).. cook at 425 degrees for about 25-30mins.

My oldest daughter HATES fish.. but this.. she'll eat!

Good luck!!!!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Marinate the salmon in some teriyaki sauce... Wegman's has a teriyaki sauce that's glucose free, lactose free, and vegan.

But yea.. marinate it for a few hours.

Cover baking sheet in tin foil. Slice an orange into thin slices.. spread on baking dish forming a rectangle shape. Plop salmon on top (skin down if there's skin).. cook at 425 degrees for about 25-30mins.

My oldest daughter HATES fish.. but this.. she'll eat!

Good luck!!!!

please don't do this with a good quality piece of salmon :( one that's gone off, sure...
  • m0llecule
    m0llecule Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper! It makes it taste really tangy and sweet.
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    Instead of a tuna salad sandwich I make a salmon salad sandwich. Salmon, mayo, and a little mustard mixed togeter. You can then add pickles, lettuce, etc, to make the sandwich.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend makes the most amazing salmon that turns everyone into a salmon lover (I've seen it proved on more than one occasion). Honestly he always makes it slightly different, but the basic idea is to sprinkle brown sugar and dill over the top of the salmon and bake. Sometimes he's added garlic and I would imagine he often puts a bit of black pepper and salt on it as well, but it's really the combo of the dill and brown sugar that works wonders. Fresh dill is great, but dried works as well.
  • skimbo82
    skimbo82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Goan fish curry

Salmon fillets, light coconut milk (use regular if you like but it saves a mountain of calories), garlic and ginger pastes, chopped onion, green chillies, spices (ground cumin, turmeric, coriander and chilli power), extra veg (I usually use baby corn and mangetout), splash of lemon juice and white wine vinegar.

Takes about 45 mins to prepare and cook and just have it with plain white rice.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1 Salmon fillet frozen
    1 very sharp knife

Slice thinly, across the grain. Lay out on cold serving surface.

Serve with side of shoyu (soy sauce), gari (pickled ginger) and wasabi (green paste, related to horseradish).
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well, when a mommy salmon and daddy salmon love each other very much....

Kidding. I haven't made salmon before beyond just microwaving fillets, but if I ever need ideas on cooking, I just search Pinterest. You just have to weed through the posts by perfect people who make complicated things look easy.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Add crushed pineapple to this and it's epic.

Rigger
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This looks easy - and it's a Kraft recipe (although check the comments for a dressing swap-out). I think I'll try this - can't go wrong with a one-pan recipe!

http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/one-pan-roasted-salmon-supper-131556?cm_mmc=eml-_-mtdce-_-20140127-_-6009
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just don't overcook it, Salmon should be delicious even when plain. It's got quite a delicate flavour and overcooked it tastes of nothing. I grill a fillet for ten minutes at a mediumish heat (200 degrees in UK temperature) sometimes less if it's thin.
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    Marinated in ponzu (citrusy soy sauce) and then grilled.

Or grilled with salt & pepper and then topped with a citrus-herb compound butter (softened butter mashed with chopped herbs and citrus zest).
  • ftloy
    ftloy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Crispy Skin Salmon FTW!! Essentially what you do is take a filet, make shallow cuts on the skin side (the number of cuts depends on the size of the fillet), drizzle olive oil over the skin side an rub it in (make sure to get inside the cuts you made), and then sprinkle kosher salt on both sides. Heat your skillet on high (water droplets should sizzle and evaporate instantaneously) and put the salmon in, skin side down. Without moving the salmon or touching it in any way, let it cook at that high temperature until the bright pink color fades to a light pink about 1/2 way up from the skin, then flip it over to let the other side cook. Total cooking time is approximately 7 minutes, but may vary (again depending on the size of the filet).
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Raw!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    check skinny taste.com or food network for recipes.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Well when a mommy salmon and a daddy salmon reeaaaally love each other ..

Oop, wrong "how to make salmon" question.

Salmon's easy to cook
    1. Cover it in any spice rub you like.

2. Pop it into a 425-450F oven for 10 mins .. maybe 12

3. Standard issue: Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
    That's it.

Sometimes I broil it for 12 mins or so.

Just keep in mind that if it reeks like fish - it's overcooked.
  • jimboburgess
    Options
    skin side down on a quite hot cast iron grill pan for 3 minutes then rotate 90 degrees and go three more minutes. All the while I'll glaze the top with some type of sweet and sour sauce mixed up from honey, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and herbs. Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine and wilt Kale at the end add a little bit more vinegar. Add a side of some crispy vegetable like thinly sliced carrots. I got a ton of Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes) so i've been having them with that. Should be well under 500 calories.
  • Eisa2
    Eisa2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    fried salmon with guacamole. Simple, healthy and delicious
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Cedar Plank with ms dash lemon pepper and lemon juice. Salt/pepper to taste.

Here are some of the basic recipes that I use (i make modifications to these when I make them).

Dijon Mustard Breaded Salmon

1/4 cup butter, melted
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
    4 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
    4 (4 ounce) fillets salmon
    salt and pepper to taste

Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    In a small bowl, stir together butter, mustard, and honey. Set aside. In another bowl, mix together bread crumbs, pecans, and dill.
    Brush each salmon fillet lightly with honey mustard mixture, and sprinkle the tops of the fillets with the bread crumb mixture.
    Bake salmon 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until it flakes easily with a fork. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with a wedge of lemon.

Bourbon Salmon

3 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 tablespoons bourbon
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets
    Cooking spray
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Preparation
    Combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add fish to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 1/2 hours, turning occasionally.
    Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish and marinade to pan; cook fish 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 fillet on each of 4 plates; drizzle each serving with about 2 teaspoons sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 3/4 teaspoon sesame seeds.

Salmon Burgers
    Take the left over plank salmon or breaded salmon and you can use it to make burger patties. I am not a fan of reheated salmon. You can do this with any left over salmon.
    Mix 1 egg
    1/2-1 cup of bread crumbs Adjust breadcrumbs as needed depending on how much left overs you have
    1 tbs dill,
    1 tbs ms dash and mix.

Form patties and throw on to grill. Only needs to be cooked until patties warm up enough to eat and start to get golden brown color. Salmon was already cooked.
  • TeamAwesomeDanger
    Options
    Fresh salmon fillets, light mist of olive oil, a few cracks of salt and pepper, toss it on a baking sheet, pop it into a cold oven. Set the temp to 200 degrees C, let it cook for 20 minutes- perfect every time.

I love it plain, but when I want a bit of extra flavor, I coat it in a homemade blackening spice mix. Also good with teriyaki, but usually not necessary or worth the extra calories to me.