Anybody new to P90X?

Options

Replies

• crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you have bad knees can you do this? My brother swears this is not a good program for me since I am overweight and out of shape.(but I keep seeing so many different people posting about it) I also have bad knees, I did major damage to them in highschool playing volleyball. Also is there a place to go to test out this set? My hubby has been out of work for 18 months so money is super tight.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    alisha,take your body weight and times it by 10. Then you must add your estimated average metabolic rate. 20% is considered average, but 15% may be better if you are sedentary (8 hour office job with little movement the rest of the day.) So either weight x 10 x 1.20 (20%) or 1.15 (15%). This is you calorie goal to maintain your current wait WITHOUT exercising. To lose weight a 500 caloric deficit is typical. So you have to burn 500 or reduce 500 calories in your day. However, it is MUCH better to burn calories so you can also raise your metabolism.

Hi

I just have a question regarding the calculation. Please tell me if I have done it wrong but it seems very low to me. I am 73.9 kilo so x 10= 739 x 1.5 (not working so not very active during the day ) = 849.85. And this is onyl to maintain. So if I would reduce the 500 calories deficit that would leave me with 350 cals to eat. That doesn't seem right to me.

Or where have i gone wrong?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    alisha,take your body weight and times it by 10. Then you must add your estimated average metabolic rate. 20% is considered average, but 15% may be better if you are sedentary (8 hour office job with little movement the rest of the day.) So either weight x 10 x 1.20 (20%) or 1.15 (15%). This is you calorie goal to maintain your current wait WITHOUT exercising. To lose weight a 500 caloric deficit is typical. So you have to burn 500 or reduce 500 calories in your day. However, it is MUCH better to burn calories so you can also raise your metabolism.

Hi

I just have a question regarding the calculation. Please tell me if I have done it wrong but it seems very low to me. I am 73.9 kilo so x 10= 739 x 1.5 (not working so not very active during the day ) = 849.85. And this is onyl to maintain. So if I would reduce the 500 calories deficit that would leave me with 350 cals to eat. That doesn't seem right to me.

put your weight in pounds then do the calculation.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting the P90X system, my bf has it and I tried to log it in my exercise and can't find it under cardio...am I doing something wrong, because everyone seems to be able to log it??? Help!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Hi

put your weight in pounds then do the calculation.

Alright! ups..I am European so mainly work in kilos so didn't think of that! :smile:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting the P90X system, my bf has it and I tried to log it in my exercise and can't find it under cardio...am I doing something wrong, because everyone seems to be able to log it??? Help!
    where a HRM to see how many calories you burn you can also add it to the database.
  • superdave123
    Options
    crazybxrmom, knee problems can be an issue with P90X. At the very least you should skip the PlyoX workout because it involves a lot of jumping. KenpoX requires a lot of kicks so that may or may not be a problem too.

crazybxrmom, I create my own exercises and categorize the workouts as “cardio” and put in my calories burned from my heart monitor. The actual calories burned will vary from person to person.

Everyone is also welcome to look me up at teambeachbody.com as superdave123. :-)
  • TooFat4Me
    Options
    I'm on the fence about ordering this....I saw the infomercials and I was thinking that I could do it this winter as I usually walk/run 5 miles 3-4 days week. Living in upstate NY...the snow is going to fly soon and I need something. I have hypothyroidism and need something this winter to keep my metabolism up. I only eat 1500/day now. When I do the formula it comes out as 2676 calories. So how will this work? I'll need to eat more then that? Will I still loose weight? I need to loose like 10-15 more and I'll be at 160-155lbs...which is a good weight for me.

Is it an every day work for an hour....not sure I can do it EVERY day.
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I too am going to start on Monday. I did about a week and a half of the classic back in January but it just wasn`t working out with a 6 month old and my other two kids. I am going to venture another go at it using the lean plan starting on Spetmeber 13th. I have decided 3 mornings a week around 6:30 am, one day during the girls nap, and one evening a week with the timing for Saturdays probably varying. Six days a week still might not be very realistic for me but won`t know until I try so that is the plan. I am also about 40lbs lighter since my first try at it so I am hoping that it is a little easier this time. :tongue:
  • clipsychic
    Options
    I too am going to start on Monday. I did about a week and a half of the classic back in January but it just wasn`t working out with a 6 month old and my other two kids. I am going to venture another go at it using the lean plan starting on Spetmeber 13th. I have decided 3 mornings a week around 6:30 am, one day during the girls nap, and one evening a week with the timing for Saturdays probably varying. Six days a week still might not be very realistic for me but won`t know until I try so that is the plan. I am also about 40lbs lighter since my first try at it so I am hoping that it is a little easier this time. :tongue:

Let's do it Vanessa! Fell free to join my forum (newly created), by looking up "Starting P90X on Monday September, 13th 2010."

Bring it!!!
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I am in my second week of the Lean program and today was the 2nd time for YogaX. You certainly don't burn 600 calories doing yoga. I wear a HR monitor for all of my workouts and it said I burned 235 today. I think the Yoga is hard for beginners who have never done yoga. I am not new to exercising, I instructed classes for 17 years so I know pretty much how to modify everything, so I am liking the program pretty well. I am not trying to lose weight just maintain. I am always finding myself under my calories for the day by quite a bit. I just can't eat that much. Most workouts I am burning around 450 calories according to my watch so the food index adds that on to the regular 1200 calories they say I should eat if I was not working out. I find I can't eat as much as they are saying. I am not losing any weight, which is ok but I thought I would be losing weight if I am working out this hard everyday.

Can you substitute the Stretch X for the Yoga?
  • 321Detonate
    Options
    If you have bad knees can you do this? My brother swears this is not a good program for me since I am overweight and out of shape.(but I keep seeing so many different people posting about it) I also have bad knees, I did major damage to them in highschool playing volleyball. Also is there a place to go to test out this set? My hubby has been out of work for 18 months so money is super tight.
    Before you start the program, you should do the fit test that's in the P90X fitness guide. It states minimum requirements for each exercise - if you can't do the minimums, doing the program is not recommended. You risk injury to yourself otherwise.
  • superdave123
    Options
    Bopper, if you can't reach 600 calories with the workout, then you need to subtract the difference from your calorie total. That's where a lot of people get into trouble.
  • clipsychic
    Options
    almost done my 4th week of lean!!

How do you like Lean version?

I'm starting on Monday and thinking of going with Classic.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm always under 1200 calories for the day. The more you weigh the more you will burn. The less you weigh the less you will burn right?
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I did P90x for 1 week just to sample it and I liked it but didn't stick to it because i don't workout in July and August (call me weird) but since it's September I started back up I switched the schedule up because I don't like working out 6 days a week I am also not fond of Yoga so I nixed that dvd. I am usually a gym rat but due to my schedule it's hard to get in the gym right now so DVD's are my best option I own Insanity and P90x I prefer P90x cause I get to lift weights (which I love) and don't do as much cardio. Insanity was cool murdered my knees but still got the job done. Didn't lose weight but gained more endurance.
    Since starting P90x my last week will be in December 2 days before my 5k Bridge Run.

My Kenpo disc didn't work today and instead of not working out I did Cardio X which I never did before I liked it and liked it even more that it was 45 minutes. Don't know how many calories I am burning since my dog ate my chest strap so I am low balling my calories burned. I am eating 1800 calories and super nervous that i will gain. I will just watch it over the next couple weeks. I will say that eating 1800 and hitting complete diary and when it says the same weight I get nervous but like I said I will wait it out.
    Tomorrow is my rest day and Saturday will be Legs and Back- I enjoy working my legs and back then Sunday will be my next day of rest Monday starts it all over again.
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    crazybxrmom, knee problems can be an issue with P90X. At the very least you should skip the PlyoX workout because it involves a lot of jumping. KenpoX requires a lot of kicks so that may or may not be a problem too.

crazybxrmom, I create my own exercises and categorize the workouts as “cardio” and put in my calories burned from my heart monitor. The actual calories burned will vary from person to person.

Everyone is also welcome to look me up at teambeachbody.com as superdave123. :-)

Thanks for your response, I think, I am gonna borrow a few of the discs from a friend, before I invest in a purchase.
  • 3Gr8kids
    3Gr8kids Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Last week I ate way under my amount and I didn't loose not 1 lbs even though I did P90X workouts for one hour a day x6 days straight! I say...get your calories in (especially if you are working out) otherwise your body may hold onto them...at least that's what 'they' say and what I believe I experienced last week :)
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    aaaaag morning :yawn: i am not a morning person :frown: but with 2 nights thurs ,fri and 1 full day of football - tailgating no time for evening work out soooooo need to push play in the morning ............ back n biceps this morning :):drinker:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    done !!! now that in finished thinking its better then any Kolache the peeps have :)