Words that have been ruined for you

bagge72
bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
I'm not sure if this is true for anyone else, but there are words now that as soon as I hear them it makes me instantly discredit the person talking about them or the product they are using to sell, without even giving it a chance unfortunately. Some of these words are Green, Detox, Toxins, Organic. To me these are just some examples of words that people use with either not knowing the meaning of, or just used as a way to sell something without any proof that it is actually true. I was just wondering if anybody else had words like this?

Replies

• fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    The word 'Like' is dead to me.
  • raspberry ketones will blow it every time...

ow yeah and 10 day transformation... laughable...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    gluten. I understand there ARE people with gluten intolerance but this has become like a keyword for a multitude of diets, carb paranoia, and associated behavior, it seems.

excruciating. My mom has severe pain, in fact she's having a total knee replacement tomorrow...and I feel for her and love her, but I HATE the way she describes the pain as "excruciating" every single time we speak. It just gets on my nerves.

ideals. A friend of mine misuses this word regularly, using it when she means "ideas". As a result, I can't see or hear this word without inwardly cringing now.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Eyecandy.
  • bagge72
    gluten. I understand there ARE people with gluten intolerance but this has become like a keyword for a multitude of diets, carb paranoia, and associated behavior, it seems.

excruciating. My mom has severe pain, in fact she's having a total knee replacement tomorrow...and I feel for her and love her, but I HATE the way she describes the pain as "excruciating" every single time we speak. It just gets on my nerves.

ideals. A friend of mine misuses this word regularly, using it when she means "ideas". As a result, I can't see or hear this word without inwardly cringing now.

Ah yes gluten, I forgot about that one! I feel bad, because I have a friend who does have a real bad gluten allergy or whatever it is, but I still roll my eyes everytime I hear it for some reason.
  • Cleanse and detox
    or diet
    or "6 pack workout" etc..
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    toxins
    cleanse
    advocare
    herbalife
    shakeology
    kickstart/jumpstart
    superfoods
    gluten
    healthy
    skinny
    toned
    bulky

I'm sure there are others, but these words make me want to roll my eyes every time.
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Eyecandy.

:laugh:

Journey
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    "starvation mode"
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    same here with the word LIKE. there's a person i work with who says you know like and like and it's like. i want to curl up in a ball and you know like start rocking. lol
  • bagge72
    Yeah I would to kick start my metabolism with some raspberry ketones, and while detoxin all of the toxins from the gluten I had for lunch.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Parched... my wife always says "I am so parched right now", and all I think of is someone trapped in a desert with no water available. Just say you are thirsty, dammit lol!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    JOURNEY
    &
    eating clean
  • Yes! Starvation mode Is so annoying
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    "literally"..... It's so overused. "I literally died when I heard what he said.."......um, no you didn't. You're still here.
  • SnocoPower
    SnocoPower Posts: 18 Member
    I am with you on "Literally". It is often mis-used, I guess people forgot about the word "virtually"...or don't think it sounds as extreme.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Yeah I would to kick start my metabolism with some raspberry ketones, and while detoxin all of the toxins from the gluten I had for lunch.

LOL nice.

I don't know how to pronounce raspberry ketones, but I imagine it like "KEY-tones" and I have said it a million times, but to me "The Raspberry Ketones" totally sounds like a 1980s all-girl ska group.

As for the gluten...I do feel for people with legitimate issues with gluten. But I find most often it's a bunch of people who don't really know anything about healthy eating who stand around and say things like "Man, all of us Americans are so fat due to gluten! It's poison!" LMAO

Also gotta agree with those who said "JOURNEY"...MFP has definitely ruined that word for me.
  • KrysBlaze
    KrysBlaze Posts: 196 Member
    ironically. This is not a coincidence. This IS an unexpected outcome.

Their when you mean They're. There when you mean Their. and all the other Tom-foolery like hear/here or your/you're.

For Pete's sake stop screaming YOLO! you simpletons!!!

The next person who says they have haters I'm going to ask for proof! Maybe they don't hate you, maybe you use stupid words!

If one *more person says "tolerance" when they really mean acceptance I'm going to grab a 1885 Merriam-Webster dictionary, cut out the two words, put one in each hand and staple it as a quick reference so they learn the difference!

*sigh*

but other than that, I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. :happy:
  • ND_Figgzie
    ND_Figgzie Posts: 1,480
    "epic" ......played out
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    My own name.
  • KrysBlaze
    "epic" ......played out

oh! How could I forget EPIC??

Epic Fail. Epic Win. Epic Cute.

Where's the Epic Mute?!
  • "epic" ......played out

Epic...and "bucket list"
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Epic
    Milf
    Gluten as well.. I'm intolerant and I'm sick of the damn word too
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Literally!

That word is so overused and worse still, nearly always used wrongly. People use it to try and put emphasis on a statement, yet sound like idiots when they use it without knowing what it actually means and when it should and shouldn't be used.
  • vfett1018
    vfett1018 Posts: 131 Member
    Ya'll - Never have liked this word and I hate when people say it
    Army Wife - Everyone makes it a bad name, and every time I hear it I think of stuck up lazy moms.
    **** - Some chick says "Sheeeeit"
    Cream - ughhh this guy is always using this word for various sentences.

If a guy caused trouble with him "Oooooh I was about to cream that a**hole"

If he saw a girl he wanted "Oooooh I would've creamed that girl"

If he liked a cake "Man, I'm going to cream that cake"

If he needed to take a crap "I'm going to cream that toilet"

I cant hear the word without thinking of all his gross, disgusting sentences, and the way he says it makes it unforgettable.
  • "starvation mode"
  • KrysBlaze
    LOL I'm sorry cream the toilet??? LOL
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member

f6e8729ae47b8a7762b11f1f5d00c3d6.png
  • vfett1018
    vfett1018 Posts: 131 Member

Yes I am not kidding! He has said that.
    That's soldiers for you.
  • I'm not sure if this is true for anyone else, but there are words now that as soon as I hear them it makes me instantly discredit the person talking about them or the product they are using to sell, without even giving it a chance unfortunately. Some of these words are Green, Detox, Toxins, Organic. To me these are just some examples of words that people use with either not knowing the meaning of, or just used as a way to sell something without any proof that it is actually true. I was just wondering if anybody else had words like this?

"free-roaming cows", "free-roaming chickens"... words/phrases used to describe animals which are slaughtered... but treated nicely before they are killed. *facepalm* this really annoys me... these claims are relatively monitored and sometimes fabricated anyway. i think it pathetic for a consumer to think, "okay, i'll buy this product because i want to sleep at night". i mean... wow, what a lovely well thought-out, empty gesture... your food is a carcass which has been killed just for you. please don't pretend to care.