birth control and weight loss

Options
hello...i would like to ask if anyone has noticed if it is more difficult to manage weight while taking birth control...i cannot take the pill, i am currently on depo shot...heard several other women state that they gained weight while on the shot..have even had women tell me this about pills..any comments

Replies

• ambercole
    Options
    I had the depo shot 10 years ago after my son was born and I gained 30lbs in 90 days! It was awful!
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i went on the depo shot when i was younger as well. I gained 50lbs in 6 months. The shot is evil!!
  • Angiepackmom4
    Options
    I had a friend on the depo shot and she gained a lot of weight. I think birth control pills are less weight gain. My doctor said average is around 5 pounds total.
  • alymarphi
    alymarphi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i have been on the depo for 6 months and i cant take the pill. i have been battling going up and down 5 to 10 lbs. I'm thinking if i didnt try realy hard to llose weight i would gain like crazey. i have also noticed it makes me emotional like im prego.
  • nicipoo
    Options
    ya'll are scaring me...am i doomed to never lose weight due to this shot...i can't take the pills and really haven't looked into much else...i think IUDs & things of that nature are too invasive..don't want to do that.
  • alymarphi
    Options
    i think i might get the implant instead of the shot next time
  • ambercole
    Options
    I took my hubby to get a vasectomy! HA! Best birth control EVER!!!!! LOL
  • nicipoo
    Options
    unfortunately...no husband to snip on..lol...think that i am through having kids...17yr old daughter is more than enough...
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've looked in to it, but I use the Nuvaring... it's not pills, it's a little ring that you insert yourself once a month. There aren't any side effects that I've noticed. I told my doctor I thought I'd gained about 5 pounds from using it, but he said it was proven to not have that side effect, so it was just coincidence. (go figure!) I definitely recommend it, especially since the depo shot sounds like a nightmare!
  • vanillagirl86
    vanillagirl86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was on the Depo shot a few years ago but gained weight so i went on the nuvo ring its the best birth control out there i think at least. really depends on the person though.
  • Nykesha420
    Options
    Check out the IUCs and IUDs...I've had both the mirena and now the re-invented Copper T which has no hormones at all....I had no weight gain with either....the IUC is mirena which does contain a small dose of hormones.....
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I went on Depo, but I went in aware of the risk for gaining weight and actually ended up losing thirty pounds.

For the record, the depo itself doesn't make you gain weight. The hormone reaction may cause cravings which causes you to overeat. If you are aware of this problem you can prevent it from happening by having willpower. You are not "doomed" to gain weight with it unless you resign yourself to do so.

I love depo and I definitely don't want to go to back to pills.

Good luck.
  • bmatthews
    Options
    i have had the im implanon(its a bar in ur arm) and i didnt gain weight on it.. i gained weight cause i let go of myself.. had emotional times... i love the bar.. nothing that u have to insert or to remember to take... its great and it works very well.. i love it
  • bmatthews
    Options
    i got prego on the nuva ring.. no more nuva ring for me.. lol
  • nicipoo
    Options
    sad to say, but my ob/gyn told me because of my size, it may be hard to reach my cervical cap...that's why i haven't had IUD before...normal pap exam are hell because it is hard to reach my cervix (hope this isn'y too much for MFP)...so i'm kinda stuck with the shot...i do have an active sex life, but don't want any babies..still use condoms for protection from STDs, but I have always had a back up plan for pregnancy
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    i had one shot of the depo and one shot only! i gained 10 pounds in two months. i wasnt watching what i was eating though. i think you might want to look into the iud or arm inplant. i honestly felt pregnant on the shot and i was so depressed all the time. i would cry fr no reason and the thought of being touched made me sick to m stomach.i just had a bad experience on it lol
  • nicipoo
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES!!!! I GUESS I DO HAVE A FEW MORE OPTIONS TO LOOK INTO!!!:smile:
  • mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I took the patch when several years ago and it was great. You slap a fresh one on your tush once a week and I did not gain weight. and it worked great.
  • HeresKimmy
    HeresKimmy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have never had the shot, although I did have the Mirena, IUD. Even though the doctors swore that weight gain WAS NOT a side affect of it, I gained close to 20 lbs within 3 months. I have read all over on message boards that a lot of women have gained weight with the Mirena too. I had it removed, lost about 10 lbs since.
  • alymarphi
    Options
    Im going to get the implant in my arm... I can't wait for all this prego emotion from the shot to go away!
    FYI i have decided not to go with a copper implant cause i can cause irragular menstral cycle bleeding.