birth control and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• starstealing
    Options
    i've heard lots of bad things about the depo shot. never tried that bc, but i did use the bc pill, the patch, and a few months ago had the mirena iud put in. up until getting married, i never used birth control for pregnancy prevention, as i have never been sexually active prior to my marriage with my husband. my bc was strictly to regulate my period, which i completely lost after a few years of undereating.

bc pills made me retain lots of water and made me really emotional; i've really liked having the mirena iud aside from the fact that i have random spotting that can't be predicted. sometimes it's twice a month, which is ... inconvenient to say the least! and i've lost almost 10 lbs over the last month while having the mirena.

i think bc is all soooo individualized and body dependent...
  • newtune
    Options
    I actually just got off of Nuvaring because I gained 10-14 pounds during the year that I was on it. I've read that other women have better experiences managing their weight on it, but this was not the case for me. Aside from the hunger and weight gain, I think it affected my anger. In fact, in the week that I've been off of it, I feel better and less hungry. Of course, this could be coincidental.

Anyway, I hope you have better luck with birth control than I did. :)
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i think i might get the implant instead of the shot next time

AH! I have the arm implant, Implanon, and I would NOT recommend it to anyone. I have had two or three periods a month for three years! There was no weight gain caused by the implant, but I did get more facial breakouts then I ever did before! I beg you to do some online research about the effects of the implants. All of the warnings say "may cause irregular bleeding" and they are totally playing it down. I might as well not be on BC because I'm on my period too much to have regular sex!

I just saw this little comment and wanted to warn you!!! :)
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Im going to get the implant in my arm... I can't wait for all this prego emotion from the shot to go away!
    FYI i have decided not to go with a copper implant cause i can cause irragular menstral cycle bleeding.

Arm implant does as well!!! :/:/
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you have a BMI over 35 or are over 35 and smoke, have migraines or a history of blood clots all the combined oestrogen and progesterone items are not allowed, that includes the patch and Nuva-ring.
    The main problem with the injection is that it is a massive dose of progesterone, much more than the implant , mini-pill or Mirena. That's why it's less likely to cause irregular bleeding but puts on more weight. The other problem compared to th eothe ones is once it's in that's it, you just have to wait for it to wear off and that can take a year to be back to a regular cycle.
    They've not managed to find a study to prove that birth control makes you put on weight as there are som emany other factors involved, but anecdotally lots of women report it. Still, it's a lot less than you'd gain from being pregnant!
    Sounds like Cerazette or Implanon would be a better option, and if after 3-4 months they didn't suit you can stop them or get them removed.

DD
  • alymarphi
    alymarphi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Im going to get the implant in my arm... I can't wait for all this prego emotion from the shot to go away!
    FYI i have decided not to go with a copper implant cause i can cause irragular menstral cycle bleeding.

Arm implant does as well!!! :/:/

that is so nuts! because my doc told me i might not get a pariod at all, just like the depo
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    yeah i gained a ton of weight on the depo shot, and the pill does make it hard to lose weight for some people,
  • grace343
    Options
    I have had the depo shot for two years. My weight has fluxuated from 275 to 315. I do not think i has anything to do with the depo short. I use it as my back up plan as well because pills do not work! My doctor said my blood pressure was too high sometimes to take the pills. The negative I have about the depo shot is my mood. I have had more "crying spells" than I have ever had in my life over the last two years. I call them "crying spells" because they are not from high stress or emotional conflicts but just happen out of the blue for no reason. Despite this negative I am not giving up on depo yet.
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    Yeah birth control options are horrible, i'm glad i can't have any more. Have you looked into the birth control ring?
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    i also got pregnant on the depo shot. So it wasn't for me
  • Danielle84Duncan
    Danielle84Duncan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo shot for 4 yrs and never had a monthly and gained about 80 lbs while taking the shot........ Never again!!!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just to add my two cents...I would never do the depo shot again. I did it once quite a few years ago. Gained approx 25-30lbs. Not sure what the time frame was of the added pounds, but it wasn't a long period of time. On all the other birth control pills I've been on, I didn't gain a pound.
  • nurseandi
    Options
    I am on Loestrin 24 Fe pill. I have been taking this for close to 3 years. The first year was great, losing weight, no extra emotions, got a light period.
    NOW i've gained 23 lbs in 6 months! Also I do not get my period AT ALL. The doc said this can be normal withe the Loestrin, Yaz, and the birth controls that are designed to shorten periods.
    So, I'm still on it was looking for a new option to test if the weight gain is due to the pill. I have not been eating worse and I've been exercising, if not more than usual.
    Joys of being a woman!

PS- also i was on celexa. THIS and the birth control i still believe made me FAT!!! do not take celexa if you are scared of gaining weight
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The one I preferred was Seasonale/Seasonique... Only 4 periods a year, if you want... and you can kinda plan them out. No weight gain for me on this one either.
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been on Loestrin for a while as well. I've gained 15 pounds! Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
  • kslagle1980
    kslagle1980 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also on Loestrin and have experienced unexplained weight gain. I am going to try something else- everyone is different...