It's FALL... Time for Pumpkin!!!

Options
sunnyk8
sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
Please share your favorite healthy pumpkin recipes here.

*Sits hoping for someone to post a yummy pumpkin spice bread recipe*

Replies

• bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this post because I have an excellent recipe for a pumpkin dip with graham crackers that is very low calorie! I will add it a little later. :)
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    OMG I love pumpkin... I'll be watching this thread verry closely :]
  • eeyoregal78
    Options
    Yeah, bring on the healthy recipes! I LOVE pumpkin also. :)
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I work in "The Pumpkin Capital of the World!" which includes an annual Pumpkin Fest. :) They make everything from pumpkin pancakes to pumpkin chili. I'll have to go through my recipes and see what can be adapted!! :)
  • tishonamarie
    tishonamarie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had a recipe once to add pumpkin to devils food cake mix and then bake it. You leave out oil and egg. Just mix half a can of pumpkin. It's delish!!! And full of fiber :-) It's kinda like a brownie instead of a cake. So good!
  • sandyland324
    Options
    From the Hungry Girl newsletter (nov 2008). Yum! I love Hungry Girl!
    After getting a BAZILLION requests for pumpkin bread, we figured it was time to make some. And after EIGHT attempts, we got it just right. Try it and see!

Ingredients:
    One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
    1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Original Egg Beaters)
    1/2 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
    1/4 cup Ocean Spray Craisins Original Sweetened Dried Cranberries (or regular raisins), chopped
    2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, Splenda, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice (in other words, all dry ingredients except for the Craisins or raisins).

In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, egg substitute, and vanilla extract (all the wet ingredients). Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended.

Slowly sprinkle chopped Craisins or raisins into the batter, making sure they don't all stick together, and mix to distribute them.

Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (about 9" X 5") sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for about 50 minutes, until the top of the loaf is firm to the touch. (Bread may be moist inside. This doesn't mean it's undercooked.) Allow to cool, and then cut into 8 slices. Enjoy!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 (thick!) slice
    Calories: 143
    Fat: 0.5g
    Sodium: 281mg
    Carbs: 31g
    Fiber: 4.5g
    Sugars: 9g
    Protein: 5g

POINTS® value 2*
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yum... Pumpkin - can't wait to try the pumpkin bread - thanks Sandy!
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yum can't wait to try the pumpkin bread too!
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am a serious pumpkin fan.

Bumping to see what people add!

When I used to do weight watchers there was a low point recipe for pumpkin muffins...they are yummy too

1 box spice cake mix(do not follow directions on package)
    1 15 ounce can of puree pumpkin
    1 c water

Mix and pour into muffin tines

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes

Makes 24 muffins
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    1 Spice cake mix
    15 oz pumpkin
    11 oz chocolate chips

Mix and drop onto cookie sheet and bake. Yummy!
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Havent tried this yet due to the fact I cant seem to find canned pumpkin anywhere!!!! So hopefully it will be in the stores soon so I can try this... its from the Hungry Girl cookbook....

DREAMY CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

One 18.3 ounce box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies Traditional Chewy Brownie mix
    2 cups canned pure pumpkin
    2 tablespoons reduced fat peanut butter at room temp

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine pumpkin with the brownie mix in a large bowl and stir until smooth (batter will be very thick but don't add anything else)
    Spray a square baking pan (9x9 works best) with nonstick spray and pour in the mixture. Spoon peanut butter on top and use knife to swirl it around th top of the batter. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. (The batter will look very thick and fudgy and it should look undercooked) Allow to cool.

Cover pan with foil and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Cut into 36 squares
    Makes 36

PER SERVING: (1 piece) 65 calories, 1g fat, 57 mg sodium, 14g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g protein

Let me know if anyone has tried it or when you do.... I am very curious... or whenever I find the pumpkin I will let you know!
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Bump
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump for now, will come back with my favorite. Loving all the ideas so far.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    is pumpkin back in stores yet??? there was a pumpkin shortage last year and i have not been able to find it yet this year! I am so sad about this because i was going to make the hungry girl cake recipe and i bought the cake mix but no pumpkin! let me know ladies and fellas
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Omg, I just heard there is a canned pumpkin shortage!!! I am not sure if this is true, but I went to three local grocery stores this weekend to buy some for a pumpkin granola bar recipe I wanted to try out. No canned pumpkin to be found! The employees told me thy hadn't had it in months and mentioned the manufacturer was out of stock of it. Finding this odd- I did a google search and sure enough, the major canned pumpkin supplying state had too much rain resulting in poor crop & hence no canned pumpkin for me :( I substituted with purred sweet potato. Recipe mediocre, I need to try again because my bars didn't stick together as well as they should have. If I get it right, I will post the recipe. In the mean time... I heard canned pumpkin is for bid on eBay! Lol! I truly hope this is just Internet rumor- I can't imagine fall without pumpkin (and I have no idea how to work with fresh pumpkin!).
  • Kristin77
    Options
    This all sounds so good! Yummy!
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    Keep the recipes coming!!! I love pumpkin. I have lots of recipes, but have no idea of the calorie count. I'll look back through them and see how they are and see if I can make them any lower in calories. I love fall and all the foods and clothes that go with it!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    The only recipes I have have already been posted... but replying to BUMP! Mmmm.... pumpkin...