Question for you Old Farts.....

Options
13»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as ive lost weight, im less achy overall (though im not old- i dont think LOL! im 37)

if i am achy/sore i may take a motrin when i go to bed, but i dont take anything right before or after a workout.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My lab results are fine even though I take Aleve twice daily. If I don't take it I can barely walk due to arthritis in my feet, so I don't have a choice. If I start to have issues then my physician and I will have to figure something else out.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    After. If needed.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Lower back discomfort.

About a month ago I started "yoga flex" and am amazed at what it does for lower back pain. You might want to look into it. I have AO pretty bad, but manage to live with it, and keep very active with swimming, acqua gym and walking. I am originally from Minnesota, living in Rome, Italy for 30 years. I take very few meds--just as desperation methods, and as little as possible. I do take Fexamin, cod liver oil capsules, potassium, and melatonin. I resist at 60 pretty well. Good luck, and keep trying new things. B)

Yeah....a buddy is trying to get me into yoga.
    Not sure about it because I enjoy cardio and see results.
    Been to Italy a number of times

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    54 - Never touch it. Things that have helped my lower back from injury: Warm up, Exercise with less intensity on the sore days, gentle yoga stretches including building core muscles helps support the spine, losing weight has helped my back pain, also eating more protein. Also proper form when doing anything like crunches, or leg lifts while on your back is important, that puts a lot of strain on the lower back if your core is weak. I found doing planks instead is less pressure on the lower back. Also I have a heated wrap that I microwave then rest on it, it's like a hot water bottle. The best! If the pain is acute with swelling, then a cold pack. FYI- I believe you should not take an NSAID on an empty stomach. At least those are tips I've learned at my advanced age B) LOL
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am 59. I only take an NSAID if my legs are restless, this does not happen very often if I am careful with my training. If they are sore I warm up and then gently stretch. I find that my joints and legs are painful and stiff if I have not taken my D3 and Ca supplements. (Without D3 supplementation I have an extremely low level) I find if I maintain my vitamin levels, don't overtrain and then stretch regularly I don't need ibuprofen, acetaminophen or naproxen sodium. Be very careful using these meds to relieve soreness and stiffness. Your kidneys and liver will be better off.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Please be careful folks.

My OH is trying to come off pain killer dependence. It sucks. He got to the point where he took them to feel "normal". Ironically you end up with pain that you take the little suckers for in the first place anyway and get a whole bad attitude to everything and everyone that you love. :(

Got to agree with Snip8241; if you are getting "painful bones" get your Vit D levels checked. Many of us are deficient because we slather ourselves in sunscreen, which is a good thing overall but just 15 minutes of skin exposure to the sun 3 x a week will provide loads of vitamin D for you....far more than you can get by diet alone.

Popping a pill is quick and easy but spare a thought for hot/cold treatment, a nice Epsom Salt bath soak or foam rolling. Warm up, cool down and s-t-r-e-t-c-h. <3:)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lower back discomfort.

About a month ago I started "yoga flex" and am amazed at what it does for lower back pain. You might want to look into it. I have AO pretty bad, but manage to live with it, and keep very active with swimming, acqua gym and walking. I am originally from Minnesota, living in Rome, Italy for 30 years. I take very few meds--just as desperation methods, and as little as possible. I do take Fexamin, cod liver oil capsules, potassium, and melatonin. I resist at 60 pretty well. Good luck, and keep trying new things. B)

Yeah....a buddy is trying to get me into yoga.
    Not sure about it because I enjoy cardio and see results.
    Been to Italy a number of times

Listen to your buddy. I'm serious, try Hatha yoga. I was amazed because the movements seemed so simple, but it does work. You should try it for 2 weeks and if you don't see a benefit, quit. I decided to do it and incorporate what I liked into my stretching routine, instead I keep going because it works on those aches and pains we all get. I keep up with my cardio too, and have started lifting a bit. As you get older you have to do more---not less. B)
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Was thinking about lifting too.....I may sign up for the next yoga class at the club.