need help as husband brings alot of bad food!

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If my husband brings anything home I throw it out. BAM! Problem solved!

Lol! Don't forget to squirt dishwashing liquid on it so you're not tempted to dig it back out. I've been guilty of that in the past. It used to kill me to know one of the kids put a takeout container in the trash that had a perfectly good enchilada in it. I used to grab the container and go into the bathroom so she didn't know I lied when I said I didn't want her leftovers. Talk about messed up in the head! My other sneaky trick was to tell the kids to put their plates on the counter and I'd scrape the food off when I did the dishes. Then I'd tiptoe into the kitchen and scrape the food off right into my mouth. Ugh. I'm embarrassed to even admit that now.

:huh:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My husband does the same and he didn't believe me that its hard with certain foods for me not to eat them. Well my daughter doesn't eat cookies, he bought Vienna Fingers, one of my favorites, and three days later they were gone and he had none. So he got the message and doesn't buy foods that are my triggers. Or if he does, he hides them from me. He had Oreos one time and hid them in the bedroom so I wouldn't eat them. NO clue where he put them.

Just for the record, he buys stuff for himself then forgets he bought it.

Well what I do to counteract most of the junk is I buy fat free pudding (actually get almond milk pudding now) or jello or anything that will keep from the junk. Its not always perfect and after Halloween I got into the candy a bit, but it really helps.

I also try if I do have junk to limit the amount, one hershey kiss, etc. If you can do that too it helps.

FYI, after holidays when we have cake and cookies left over, if they aren't things he will eat, garbage or bring to work, etc.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Interesting how the answers gravitate to the two extremes: "nobody makes you eat it" and "banish it from the earth" and no one suggested the adult approach - have an open, honest conversation with the person you lay your head next to every night.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    poor accountability and will in this thread.....sad.

Coupled with the need to control what other people bring into their own house... yes it is very sad... I would be telling some of the women here to get to steppin!

No wonder the divorce rate is so high. Have some self control and stop trying to control your SO...
  • samiyan05
    samiyan05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just eat it lol I love junk food. I just make sure I can eat some and not go over or if I do I go work it off. If it ends up being a lot and I have to run for 3 hours to make it go away then I will second guess eating that much next time lol. But I'ma junk food junkie so I don't just say no. Lol. I am pretty good about eating okay most of the time but I don't wanna be the girl who is miserable at dinner and bitter Bc everyone else gets to eat the yummy food and I'm over here eating lettuce n carrots Bc I wanna be "skinny". Eff that! I also wanna be happy so I try to find a middle area where I do what I enjoy but try to be conscious of my body.

It's not easy at times but it keeps me from football tackling 6 yr olds for their ice cream cones lol
  • KnM0107
    Options

If you are not joking then that is very sad... I feel bad for your husband.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Interesting how the answers gravitate to the two extremes: "nobody makes you eat it" and "banish it from the earth" and no one suggested the adult approach - have an open, honest conversation with the person you lay your head next to every night.

She said that she's spoken to him about it and he brings it home anyway. It sounds like they're at an impasse if he's not willing to budge.

That being said, I admit that I am in the "nobody makes you eat it" camp, since I see that as the healthier approach. You have to learn to deal with life on its terms, I do feel that throwing it out or otherwise banishing it is starting down the slippery slope of becoming controlling and unreasonable.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Nothing extreme about just not eating it and having self control.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would break up. It is the only way to get thin.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Yup. Divorce.

Or self control. Whichever is cheaper and makes you happy.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

^This and this:

I think that if you're feeling good about what you're achieving and you're seeing real positive results, you are more likely to look at the bad food your husband brings home and feel empowered to avoid it.

The next time you tell yourself you won't eat it, the easier it will be the time after that.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Well, I do understand. My husband didn't get "on the wagon" for 8 months after I had been losing weight. Not that he brought home bad stuff often, but he was eating things or more of things than I would have "appreciated".

Thing is, the only person you have any control over is you. You can't control what he brings home, and what he eats. He's a grown up, and you aren't his mom. You could have a conversation with him that it isn't helping you that he does this, and/or have him put the bad stuff in a certain place so that you know "not to go there"....but he may resent it. Not your fault that he's insensitive to your needs, and it's not his fault that your trying to lose weight. (Sorry to be overly blunt.....can you tell it's not my first rodeo. LOL)

Here's what helped me: I have a "snack box" that has protein bars, snack size baggies of pretzels, packages of peanut butter crackers, etc. - basically, around 100 calorie snacks. That's my "go to box" when I get hungry. I also have a "dorm fridge" that I keep water, greek yogurt, light string cheese, etc. in. The box and the fridge are in the laundry room upstairs.

In both cases, I'm able to go get a snack or a drink without having to see all the other tempting food in the house.

What's funny is that my husband decided to make the drawer in his night stand his "safe haven" - cliff builder bars, protein bars, cashews, etc. Because there were things that I was buying that he didn't want to go overboard on.

It's definitely a rough road no matter what you do or how you proceed.
  • wannastayfit
    wannastayfit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree it's not easy to have unhealthy food around. My family likes cereal and ritz crackers in their soup etc which I really try not to eat. I tend to get hungry in the afternoon after my kids are home from school and when I'm making dinner - that's when I have snacked in the past on a crackers, cereal which don't fill me up. . So now, I simply make myself a filling and delicious low calorie snack: cream of wheat with a few drops of stevia and a T of better n' peanut butter from Trader Joe's. This fills me up so I don't snack and actually enables me to have a smaller dinner. It's really working for me as cutting out snacking has been the big game changer. Try this or something else that is tasty, filling and nutritious for 21 days and it might work for you too. Good luck!
  • tia45217
    tia45217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband is the exact same way, I find the easiest thing for me to do is to not try and explain or persuade him not to do what he likes. I just made a choice to either eat it and get bigger or not eat it and be healthier. I think it boils down to that simply choice.
  • RunningMum2017
    RunningMum2017 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I think that this is the best approach. Your husband needs to understand your goals. We have junk in our house but I have put it in a high up place so I have to get a chair to reach it. So whilst I get that chair I do think should I be eating this? More often than not I don't eat it, when I do I just do some extra exercise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

really? Throw food away …come on …

how about just don't eat it, or eat a little about and maintain you daily deficit…

Throwing food away because you are scared you might eat it is bordering on an eating disorder/unhealthy relationship with food...
  • KnM0107
    Options

She said that she's spoken to him about it and he brings it home anyway. It sounds like they're at an impasse if he's not willing to budge.

That being said, I admit that I am in the "nobody makes you eat it" camp, since I see that as the healthier approach. You have to learn to deal with life on its terms, I do feel that throwing it out or otherwise banishing it is starting down the slippery slope of becoming controlling and unreasonable.

It is his home too. Just because op speaks to him doesn't mean he has to do what she says. He shouldn't budge, she should learn self control.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious question?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Lol! Don't forget to squirt dishwashing liquid on it so you're not tempted to dig it back out. I've been guilty of that in the past. It used to kill me to know one of the kids put a takeout container in the trash that had a perfectly good enchilada in it. I used to grab the container and go into the bathroom so she didn't know I lied when I said I didn't want her leftovers. Talk about messed up in the head! My other sneaky trick was to tell the kids to put their plates on the counter and I'd scrape the food off when I did the dishes. Then I'd tiptoe into the kitchen and scrape the food off right into my mouth. Ugh. I'm embarrassed to even admit that now.

can't be serious….
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

It is his home too. Just because op speaks to him doesn't mean he has to do what she says. He shouldn't budge, she should learn self control.

Isn't that what I just said? That ultimately she has to control what she eats.

It sounds like your just rooting around for a disagreement or not reading what people are saying entirely.