Income Tax Return

Options

Replies

• PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    If your getting that much back, you need to adjust your tax withholding cause your just giving the government a free loan of your money... Just a FYI

I like getting back a sum of money every year, and not owing any Local taxes myself. Call me crazy?

I put all of my extra cash over $1000.00/week during the summer into Savings for emergency winter fund, and my 401K is automatically deducted from my Checks, so at tax season I like to get money back to splurge on whatever I want.

The point is the money would be better off earning YOU something during the year. Want money to splurge on and pay local taxes with, put it in an account for that specific purpose.

The government already has too much of my money to misuse
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If your getting that much back, you need to adjust your tax withholding cause your just giving the government a free loan of your money... Just a FYI

I like getting back a sum of money every year, and not owing any Local taxes myself. Call me crazy?

I put all of my extra cash over $1000.00/week during the summer into Savings for emergency winter fund, and my 401K is automatically deducted from my Checks, so at tax season I like to get money back to splurge on whatever I want.

I'm with you. I like my refund. We're very financially responsible all year. 401k's are maxed, IRA's are maxed, mortgage almost paid off, just one car payment left (and we're a year ahead on that), a couple years of living expenses in liquid assets. So yea, it's nice to have fun money that I can do mindless stuff with!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow :drinker: :drinker:

I can't believe it took to page 2

you wait all year for that?

Doesn't everyone do that for Valentine's Day? You mean, it's an OPTION more than once a year?! Mind=Blown :smile:

Once a month minimum- but you know- occasionally we go for a long haul and do every Friday nights. :)

welcome to a whole new world my friend!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Doesn't everyone do that for Valentine's Day? You mean, it's an OPTION more than once a year?! Mind=Blown :smile:

Once a month minimum- but you know- occasionally we go for a long haul and do every Friday nights. :)

See, that's why I prefer to have the money all year rather than lend if for free. Make my money work for me!
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

The point is the money would be better off earning YOU something during the year. Want money to splurge on and pay local taxes with, put it in an account for that specific purpose.

Your Rant reminds me of Lewis Black.. one of my favorite comedians
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options

See, that's why I prefer to have the money all year rather than lend if for free. Make my money work for me!

*nods* I see the logic in this. Keeping the pimp hand strong as it were
  • breakingthecycle722
    Options
    New (er) car and the rest goes to baby mama :yawn:
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself something you have been putting off because you don't have the extra cash...even if it's something small or a project around the house? Maybe even a couple fine bottles of vodka, whiskey or bourbon to have for the server.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Pay down my bills and use the rest to go to WisCon in May. :flowerforyou:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    We'll be making a contribution to our daughters 529 college plan. Maybe even opening an Roth IRA in her name too. She's 8 weeks old, never too soon to save for retirement!

The rest will be "fun money" for me, as I'm now a stay at home mom.

Are you sure you can do that? Last I checked you (or your spouse) had to earn at least the amount you put into an IRA. And if your 8 week old is earning that much, you might be required to file a tax return for her. I would expect an audit, either way.
  • PghPensFan69
    Options

Never heard of him, but not really a rant.

The more people that follow your chosen path, the lower the chance the government is going to raise my taxes. So thanks. :drinker:
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    What are you guys doing with your returns?

I think I'll get between 4-7k back this year... I have no idea how to spend it!
    -I'm debt free
    -I save 10% a month in my 401k
    -I max out my Roth-IRA

Feel free to donate it to the "Works two full time jobs but keeps giving her money to people who need help insteaf of a car* fund

Seriously, You would think I would have a car by now with working 2 full times jobs. It's ridiculous.

Needless to say, that is what I am going to do. A car.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I won't get one because I didn't give the government an interest free loan all year.
    ^This

THANK YOU

I was starting to think I was the only one on here that gets it

same here. because I didn't loan the government my money I was able to buy a house a couple of months ago. I much prefer being able to spend my money when I want to.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Never heard of him, but not really a rant.

The more people that follow your chosen path, the lower the chance the government is going to raise my taxes. So thanks. :drinker:

No Problem Buddy! :glasses:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

*nods* I see the logic in this. Keeping the pimp hand strong as it were

BAW HA HA- Pimp hand strong- haven't heard that in days.

Totally needed that- but yes- gotta keep the party going all year- none of this one time a year *kitten*!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Please explain what this mythical Income Tax Return creature is and how I can catch one?

We pay thousands of dollars to the government every quarter and at the end of the year. The amount we pay in one quarter alone could buy a really nice and loaded car.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What are you guys doing with your returns?

I think I'll get between 4-7k back this year... I have no idea how to spend it!
    -I'm debt free
    -I save 10% a month in my 401k
    -I max out my Roth-IRA

Be sure you have a 6-12 month liquid emergency fund, give some of your money away, and save up for your next car or whatever other purchase you have in mind- down payment on a house perhaps?
  • PghPensFan69
    Options
    I won't get one because I didn't give the government an interest free loan all year.
    ^This

THANK YOU

I was starting to think I was the only one on here that gets it

same here. because I didn't loan the government my money I was able to buy a house a couple of months ago. I much prefer being able to spend my money when I want to.

Congrats. I paid mine off by keeping as much of my money as possible.
  • jenn2375
    jenn2375 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Florida Vacation!!!
  • leaner426
    Options
    Why not save it, especially if there isn't anything you want or need now. Then you'll have it when something does come up (like a vacation.) If you really need to spend it, I'd go for experiences. Do something you've never done, a glass blowing class, kayaking or a trip.