Rather exercise outside than be I a gym

I read, every day, people who exercise in a gym. I admire their efforts but couldn't think of anything worse than doing body movements in an artificial setting. I prefer to go outside, rain, snow, hail or shine and exercise in nature! Gardening burns so many calories. I Love reading people who walk their dogs. If only I had a dog. I walk in the National Parks, along the beach, ride my bike, put my iPod on and jump around in the backyard! Does anyone else dislike gyms so much?

*be in a gym it's supposed to say haha

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    lots of people don't like the gym. But the gym is it's own social environment- and becomes an ebb and flow of familiarity. I love it.

Also- there is stuff that unless you have the space and money to set up- you can't do at home- the gym provides the ability to go and use equipment that you can't keep at home.

shrug- working outside is nice- but it's completely different than lifting or being around those people.
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    I am not a fan of gyms either. I love running outdoors and I have my own equipment at home.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    When you live in a climate where you can get -50 C (pretty much -60 F for those who can't convert from Metric), and this year the snowbanks are pushing 5 feet and it's not even February, having a gym to work out in is a blessing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    This is no different than asking why people would work inside an office building instead of outside on the beach.

Because that's where they need to handle their business
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    This is no different than asking why people would work inside an office building instead of outside on the beach.

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    People have different goals. Given the choice I would do most cardio outside under most normal circumstances.....There are exceptions. But cardio is a much lesser goal for me than strength training. I would have a very hard time doing all of my strength training in a natural outdoor environment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I am not a fan of gyms either. I love running outdoors and I have my own equipment at home.

Is your equipment at home located outside in your garden?
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Call me crazy but, I don't think I can make any strength or muscle gains with progressive overload in the garden or going for a walk with my dog. I'm glad you have found something that you enjoy doing though.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member

Great answer
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    I definitely would prefer doing cardio exercise outside, but as for weight lifting...the gym is where it's at :happy:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    I read, every day, people who exercise in a gym. I admire their efforts but couldn't think of anything worse than doing body movements in an artificial setting. I prefer to go outside, rain, snow, hail or shine and exercise in nature! Gardening burns so many calories. I Love reading people who walk their dogs. If only I had a dog. I walk in the National Parks, along the beach, ride my bike, put my iPod on and jump around in the backyard! Does anyone else dislike gyms so much?

*be in a gym it's supposed to say haha

Blanket statement.... too many people with different goals. Do you want me to jump up and down on a heavy tree branch until it breaks off so I can Squat with it?

"Doing body movements in an artificial setting" lol...
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    I go to the gym and I like it. Sure I'd love to be outside and run and walk my dog all the time but the fact of the matter is I can't. 3-4 months out of the year it's freezing cold out. Heck this week it hasn't been above zero. I hate the cold and I"m not going to put on layers and bundle up just to go for a run when I know I'll be miserable the entire time. So the gym is a great option for me.

That's great that you can run around in your back yard, walk your dogs, and walk in parks but not everyone can. Or wants to.
  • brianlowell
    brianlowell Posts: 28 Member

+1
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Good for you.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    lots of people don't like the gym. But the gym is it's own social environment- and becomes an ebb and flow of familiarity. I love it.

Also- there is stuff that unless you have the space and money to set up- you can't do at home- the gym provides the ability to go and use equipment that you can't keep at home.

shrug- working outside is nice- but it's completely different than lifting or being around those people.

This.

I was terrified of gyms and hated the idea of them for a long time. But now I NEED a gym because I don't have the space for the equipment I need for my routine.

I still get out and hike, or ride my bike, or walk around when weather permits.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    How many times have you "gone out" when the air temp is -20 and Windchill in the -50's or -60's?
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,438 Member

couldn't have said it better!!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member

Love this!

Yes, I agree, it would be terrific to be able to do everything that can be done in a gym outside. I would love it and definitely prefer it and there's no reason it couldn't be .. well except for weather. It was 7F / -14C this morning and I live in a mild climate compared to some places. I can just see someone this morning, outside, getting sweaty, lifting their bar and then having it freeze to their hands.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Uhh good for you. Sadly I don't think gardening would cut it for me in reaching my goals.

I love hiking and running outside, but I equally love going to the gym and getting stronger and healthier. Ehh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Alas I cannot move the power rack outside...and while I'd love to own my own, I have no room for it in my house so I hit the weight room in the gym. I actually enjoy it...I've met a lot of great people and I learn different things from them in RE to my lifts. If I didn't belong to my gym and hadn't met the people I've met I wouldn't be working on my Oly lifts right now.

As cardio goes I definitely prefer to be outside on my bike or going for a hike or something...and I'm glad that my gym has an outdoor pool for the summer because I really don't like indoor pools. But even while I prefer to be outside, sometimes weather or other circumstances keep me from doing so....so I will hit the gym rather than scrapping my workout for the day.

I'd also mention that it took me awhile to really find a gym that I like...I love my current gym and couldn't imagine having to go somewhere else at this point. My gym rocks and the trainers and all of the rest of the staff are awesome. I was even thinking about applying for their open accounting manager position a couple months ago just so I could pretty much be there all of the time...but I would have had to take a relatively hefty pay cut.