Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

MFP suggested weight????

What's with the MFP suggested weight in 5 weeks? Past 2 weeks I've been eating less than my 9 year old and working out 4-5 times a week. Guess what? I gained 3 pounds. Its been saying 159-160 everyday for almost 2 weeks.

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    You should probably quit trying to eat less than your nine-year-old. What's your daily calorie goal?

Edited because I just realized that I probably eat less than my 8-year-old little garbage disposal. But really, how many calories are you aiming for?
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    1200, but I try to stay around 900-1100 since I don't weigh everything exactly.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    You should sue.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Unless you're extremely short, you should reconsider things... Many people have found this above link very helpful.
  • chrs86
    False advertising! I want my calories back!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    1200, but I try to stay around 900-1100 since I don't weigh everything exactly.

the reason you're not losing is probably because you dont weigh everything... buy some scales...
  • You are not eating enough.
  • chrs86
    I'm 5'8
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    I'm 5'8
    1200 calories is still not enough. I am a woman who is 5'8" and I lose eating between 1800 and 2100 cals per day. Use another calculator to evaluate your calorie goals. there is such a thing as eating too little!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    I'm 5'5 and eat 2400/day. You need more fuel than a kid. Check this link out, too - it saved me from seriously undereating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    It's okay to aim for 1200 calories. But your body needs AT LEAST that many, possibly even more. You should calculate your BMR and TDEE and go from there. This has been the best tool I have found so far:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • marypatmccue
    Just for some help, I'll repost that link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

You can do the research and find what's right for you. A great place to start. And buy a food scale...
  • chrs86
    @ marypatmccue Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my attention span is worse then a dog. That's like an entire wbook. I read the first and last paragraphs. Great information.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Weight loss is not linear. That nifty feature is nice but it's not 100% accurate.

The daily calorie goal already includes a deficit, there is no need to try to come in under that number. There is no need to cut calories that low to lose weight. Please check out the links provided above.

As far as weight gain, it's likely that either you're tracking inaccurately (estimating instead of weighing, measuring, double checking nutrition labels, etc) and/or it's water weight from high sodium intake, new to or increase of exercise.

ETA: Saw your reply about attention span. I kinda get that, it's a lot of info...but seriously, if you're not willing to put in the work to figure out what your goals should be, how do you expect to succeed? Just do it.
  • marypatmccue
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my attention span is worse then a dog. That's like an entire wbook. I read the first and last paragraphs. Great information.

Those unwilling to do their own research are usually the ones who fail. Good luck!:wink:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    @ marypatmccue Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my attention span is worse then a dog. That's like an entire wbook. I read the first and last paragraphs. Great information.

Well, you can't expect everyone to do the work for you. Do you want us to exercise for you too?
  • chrs86
    @hollydubs85Damn, I'll read it eventually. clam yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

you get out what you're willing to put in... so sweet FA in your case!
  • chrs86
    Thanks for all the great advice and good luck with your success.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    What's with the MFP suggested weight in 5 weeks? Past 2 weeks I've been eating less than my 9 year old and working out 4-5 times a week. Guess what? I gained 3 pounds. Its been saying 159-160 everyday for almost 2 weeks.

To answer your original question:

MFP's "If every day were like today..." is an estimate what you would weigh in 5 weeks if a number of conditions are true:

1. You have accurately measured and logged calories eaten.
    2. You have accurately estimated calories expended in exercise.
    3. You accurately determined your activity level when setting up MFP.
    4. Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is in a normal range.

So if it's telling you that you'll weigh 159-160 (which I am presuming is below your current weight), and you're gaining rather than losing, then there's an inaccuracy in at least one of those 4 things.

#4 is unlikely. Those of us who have lost significant amounts of weight do need less energy to maintain weight than people at the same weight who were never overweight (adaptive thermogenesis), but it's not a huge effect.

#3 is possible. Some people "double-dip": they exercise a lot, so they set their MFP profile to "Active" or "Very Active," but then they also log calories from exercise. That's counting those calories twice. If you sedulously log all your exercise, set your activity level to "Sedentary" unless you really are that active not counting logged exercise.

#2 is quite possible. MFP's database, and many heart rate monitors, overestimate calories burned in exercise, sometimes by 50% or more.

And #1 is quite possible, even likely: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

So if your results aren't matching the prediction, work on those, especially #1 and #2.