Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

MFP suggested weight????

2»

Replies

• SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    I eat net 2000 calories a day, yo. ;) This means when I workout (6 days a week), I also eat back most (if not all) of those calories too, bringing it up to the 2300 - 2400 calorie range. EAT MORE! Unless you're on life support, you need substantially more calories than you are consuming. Google "Scooby calculator" and it will help you pick a more reasonable intake amount.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Just started the working out thing? If so, water weight. Body hangs on to it to work on repairing stuff....after a bit your body adjust and WHOOSH! you lose a ton.

So, you eat next to nothing, burn off just about that many cals in working out, and you are chasing a small child around, which burns off even more.... Yeah...this will go well.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Yes, forgot to add... when you start a new exercise routine, your muscles do hang onto water weight and you will temporarily weigh more, but with continued workouts, your body will drop that water weight off. It happened to me when I first started too.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    I truly believe you are undereating... I'm just shy of 5'3" and I eat more than that and still lose. I think I've been ave. net calories of 1450 to 1500 in the past week and I've dropped a pound. eating below 1200 is not only not enough, it's unhealthy.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Eating less than your 9 year old and gaining weight? Is your 9 year old downing 3k calories a day?
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Maybe, I bet you are.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Maybe, I bet you are.

awwww, someones hangry.... :flowerforyou:
  • I tried that one and it was saying my BMR was like 2200. That's MORE calories than I've been eating for the last year daily. So something's not right.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    I'm 5'2, sedentary, and I eat 1500-1600 cal/day You're not eating enough.
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    I'm 5'3", eat around 1650-1950 and have lost 45 lbs so far (I do workout six days a week too). I have gone through periods of not losing, but that usually means it's time to get stricter with weighing and measuring food again. Also, for me, mixing up workouts really helps. Your body gets used to the same workout all the time and it isn't as effective.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    What's with the MFP suggested weight in 5 weeks? Past 2 weeks I've been eating less than my 9 year old and working out 4-5 times a week. Guess what? I gained 3 pounds. Its been saying 159-160 everyday for almost 2 weeks.

To answer your original question:

MFP's "If every day were like today..." is an estimate what you would weigh in 5 weeks if a number of conditions are true:

1. You have accurately measured and logged calories eaten.
    2. You have accurately estimated calories expended in exercise.
    3. You accurately determined your activity level when setting up MFP.
    4. Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is in a normal range.

So if it's telling you that you'll weigh 159-160 (which I am presuming is below your current weight), and you're gaining rather than losing, then there's an inaccuracy in at least one of those 4 things.

#4 is unlikely. Those of us who have lost significant amounts of weight do need less energy to maintain weight than people at the same weight who were never overweight (adaptive thermogenesis), but it's not a huge effect.

#3 is possible. Some people "double-dip": they exercise a lot, so they set their MFP profile to "Active" or "Very Active," but then they also log calories from exercise. That's counting those calories twice. If you sedulously log all your exercise, set your activity level to "Sedentary" unless you really are that active not counting logged exercise.

#2 is quite possible. MFP's database, and many heart rate monitors, overestimate calories burned in exercise, sometimes by 50% or more.

And #1 is quite possible, even likely: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

So if your results aren't matching the prediction, work on those, especially #1 and #2.

hell-yeah-o.gif
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Full F'ing Stop.

You're a 5'8" male that weighs approximately 160 lbs.

Why in the blue hell are you eating only (less than, actually) 1200 Calories per day? Did you do something rash, such as input to MFP that you wanted to lose 2 lbs per week? That's far too aggressive. If so, change it to lose 1/2 lb per week.

Lastly, weigh your food.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    In the long run, I think you will be happier if you eat more. Bodies get used to what you're giving them and lower the metabolism to stabilize weight loss, which your body senses is a bad thing. If you're eating 1800 calories, you can shave off 100 calories to get weight loss going again. You can't do anything if you're at something like 900 calories.

The best advice I've seen is calculate maintenance calories for your goal and start eating that now. You will never have to diet again. I'm doing that minus about 100.