Japanese diet vs American diet

Options

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    I agree. Its not what they eat, its how much they eat.

Although indirectly, the type of food they eat might be more satisfying. Its really easy to overeat greasy foods, and sugary foods. Try eating 500 calories of white rice vs. 500 calories of Candy.

Or 500 calories of white rice, vs. 500 calories of Pork Fried rice.

I could easily slam 500 calories of candy in the blink of an eye.

And here I am... Able to slam down 500 calories of all that food in the blink of an eye. At least I know why I gained weight so quickly lol!!
  • PeanutButter1999
    PeanutButter1999 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Japan. It all boils down to calories in and calories out. People in Japan don't eat huge servings of food and are pretty active. The cities are fairly congested and people walk and bike a lot. It isn't necessarily the foods they eat that makes them have a healthy weight, it is the fact that they don't eat huge servings of food and don't sit around all day doing nothing while consuming huge portions of food.

Very true! Japanese people do much more activity and have different habits than Americans. I did research on refined sugar and in Japan they don't really have much processed junk. What I noticed is the portion size in all their food seems smaller than Americans portion as well.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I have lived in Japan. It all boils down to calories in and calories out. People in Japan don't eat huge servings of food and are pretty active. The cities are fairly congested and people walk and bike a lot. It isn't necessarily the foods they eat that makes them have a healthy weight, it is the fact that they don't eat huge servings of food and don't sit around all day doing nothing while consuming huge portions of food.

Having also been to Japan, what we Americans consider a normal portion is usually closer to what the sumo wrestlers eat and yeah, there's a lot more movement. Bicycles were everywhere where I visited. Things like apartments are also smaller, so being "larger" simply doesn't seem to be conducive to their culture.

That, and my experience is that cultures like Japanese (and Chinese) are usually more vocally critical about weight. It's not taboo to comment on it as if you were commenting on a pair of shoes. My Italian relatives tell me I'm too skinny and that I need to eat more. A Chinese relative told me "how fat" I'd gotten (20 lb gain) since last time he'd seen me. ;)

So, yeah, I think it's a combination of the portions AND the culture. ;)

Agreed! I remember my Japanese friends asking why my family was so fat. Just blatantly asking that outright. "Why is your mom so fat??". They were genuinely concerned/curious!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I also watched a youtube video about a baby (8 months old) brought here from japan and put on american food- DIED because of the additives and preservatives we put in our food.

Ummm.... Most 8 month olds are still eating pureed fruits and veggies. Not McDonalds hamburgers.
    But they were GMO fruits and veggies...

bonjour.jpg
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It's a fact that America is a big country. And it's easier to get overweight here than in most other countries. I've been wondering..what if Americans went on a Japanese diet? Japan is one of the healthiest countries in the world. They eat a lo of fish veggies and rice and all maintain healthy weight. I'm subscribed to a couple on youtube who live in Japan and the wife is American and when she moved to Japan she lost 20 pounds without trying! so..yeah I would love to eat a Japanese diet. Would you?

I have to agree with the others, on this one, in terms of obesity and reasons for good health. The "Blue Zones," as they're called exist in: Greece, Costa Rica, Japan, Sardinia, and CALIFORNIA. http://www.bluezones.com/live-longer/education/expeditions/. These people are eating better foods, in smaller quantities, and moving more.

I've heard that many of these places eat until they're 80% full, instead of stuffed, like Americans typically do. Meal times are also more social, mindful activities. It's not about getting full and moving on; it's about enjoying the moments and food together. Because they appear to have a healthier relationship with food, they are less likely to associate food with guilt or use it for self-sabotage as those who have an unhealthy relationship with food.

Regardless, for health reasons, adopting a diet closer to those listed above isn't a bad idea, at all, but if you're looking to lose weight from it or cure obesity in America, it really comes down to portion sizes...which are much bigger than many foreign countries.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I also watched a youtube video about a baby (8 months old) brought here from japan and put on american food- DIED because of the additives and preservatives we put in our food.

Ummm.... Most 8 month olds are still eating pureed fruits and veggies. Not McDonalds hamburgers.
    But they were GMO fruits and veggies...

bonjour.jpg

My Japanese friends' baby siblings ate imported Gerber baby food purees in Japan.... Just like many American babies..... They didn't die..... Hmmmm
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

:laugh:

What on earth.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The Japanese eat a lot of smoked and pickled foods, and have a high rate of stomach cancer. True.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I also watched a youtube video about a baby (8 months old) brought here from japan and put on american food- DIED because of the additives and preservatives we put in our food. SOoooooo its not just about the "diet". And they also walk everywhere and use public transportation where the elderly, invalid and pregnant are the first seated and everyone else stands.

Are you somehow under the assumption that Japan, being a densely populated island produces all the food needed to sustain the Japanese people, and that we here in the US only eat food originating in the US? Our food comes from the same place Japan get's theirs. The fact is that the American diet has become oversized, we have huge portions. Additionally, the Japanese people by and large walk most places, while Americans pretty much drive everywhere. We get less exercise in our daily lives on average, and have all become accustomed to huge portions.

In Summary, I would seriously question what that child actually died of, and I'd want to see the coroners report, because the idea that it was food additives is a bit far fetched.

Rigger
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i don't like any seafood at all. i'd never last.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I also watched a youtube video about a baby (8 months old) brought here from japan and put on american food- DIED because of the additives and preservatives we put in our food. SOoooooo its not just about the "diet". And they also walk everywhere and use public transportation where the elderly, invalid and pregnant are the first seated and everyone else stands.

Are you somehow under the assumption that Japan, being a densely populated island produces all the food needed to sustain the Japanese people, and that we here in the US only eat food originating in the US? Our food comes from the same place Japan get's theirs. The fact is that the American diet has become oversized, we have huge portions. Additionally, the Japanese people by and large walk most places, while Americans pretty much drive everywhere. We get less exercise in our daily lives on average, and have all become accustomed to huge portions.

In Summary, I would seriously question what that child actually died of, and I'd want to see the coroners report, because the idea that it was food additives is a bit far fetched.

Rigger

Very well said! Thanks Rigger!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm going on a Japanese diet. Sushi, pocky and sake only. Doing it for reals
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm going on a Japanese diet. Sushi, pocky and sake only. Doing it for reals

Alright+you+little+++you+got+me+fired+up+i+m+_39c606a38aa8d9351dd9b26e2a8dd4a8.gif

Yes. Can I do it with you if I help? Bonus: I can actually make sushi.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I agree, friends of mine from Guam eat smaller amounts and no junk they are small people. Life style is very important. When I move more and eat healthy I lose no matter where I am. Keeping my Head in that mode is the problem!
    Hmmm... Guam is pretty gosh darn comparable to the US. http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/adult-overweightobesity-rate/

United States 63.4%
    Guam 61.5%
  • tegalicious
    Options

It must include those little chocolate filled pandas or I'm out!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    pocky.jpg
  • tegalicious
    Options
    215215364_9eqFu-L-2.jpg

Yeah!! Those!!! They are koalas!! Filled with chocolate! And strawberry chocolate!!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    215215364_9eqFu-L-2.jpg

Yeah!! Those!!! They are koalas!! Filled with chocolate! And strawberry chocolate!!

And they are a perfect snack to put in your purse to take to the movie theater. ... Not that I would know personally.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Alright+you+little+++you+got+me+fired+up+i+m+_39c606a38aa8d9351dd9b26e2a8dd4a8.gif

Yes. Can I do it with you if I help? Bonus: I can actually make sushi.

Yes, you are a must! I suck at making my own sushi. Perhaps we can learn sushi art and make them into cute little cats and stuff.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    It's a fact that America is a big country. And it's easier to get overweight here than in most other countries. I've been wondering..what if Americans went on a Japanese diet? Japan is one of the healthiest countries in the world. They eat a lo of fish veggies and rice and all maintain healthy weight. I'm subscribed to a couple on youtube who live in Japan and the wife is American and when she moved to Japan she lost 20 pounds without trying! so..yeah I would love to eat a Japanese diet. Would you?
    Not "all" of them are skinny, but I would say it is true that "most" of them are, have you been? I have. As for the food, yeah, but it is very expensive to eat sashimi all the time in a midwest state like mine, but yes we love the stuff. One more thing, they also walk, a lot, busses are really big in Japan, cars not so much.