Japanese diet vs American diet

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm going on a Japanese diet. Sushi, pocky and sake only. Doing it for reals

pocky.jpg

Yes. Can I do it with you if I help? Bonus: I can actually make sushi.

Yes, you are a must! I suck at making my own sushi. Perhaps we can learn sushi art and make them into cute little cats and stuff.

Sushi is easy to make. It just takes forever.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Japan. It all boils down to calories in and calories out. People in Japan don't eat huge servings of food and are pretty active. The cities are fairly congested and people walk and bike a lot. It isn't necessarily the foods they eat that makes them have a healthy weight, it is the fact that they don't eat huge servings of food and don't sit around all day doing nothing while consuming huge portions of food.

Very true! Japanese people do much more activity and have different habits than Americans. I did research on refined sugar and in Japan they don't really have much processed junk. What I noticed is the portion size in all their food seems smaller than Americans portion as well.
    Huh? They eat TONS of sugar in Japan. They just eat very small portions.
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm going on a Japanese diet. Sushi, pocky and sake only. Doing it for reals

It must include those little chocolate filled pandas or I'm out!

Our cheat meals could be noodles and ramune XD
  • tegalicious
    Options

And cheese gyozas. I am totally confident I have mucked the spelling of that too.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

And for the morning, before the sake. ..

2ynnud1.jpg
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i could so live on a japanese diet for the rest of my life,
    like if i had to chose
    hands down japan

other than this i don't have any valuable input for this thread
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I agree, friends of mine from Guam eat smaller amounts and no junk they are small people. Life style is very important. When I move more and eat healthy I lose no matter where I am. Keeping my Head in that mode is the problem!
    Except for the ones that succumb to all the fast food places that moved there, or Spam. Speaking of fast food places, the one thing I went and had on purpose when I was in Japan was french fries at McDonald's. I am sorry, but they make them the way you used to get them in the US in the 70s with suet, and boy are they good. You can't get a decent french fry in the US anymore, which I guess is good as I am not even tempted.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

pocky.jpg

Yes. Can I do it with you if I help? Bonus: I can actually make sushi.

Yes, you are a must! I suck at making my own sushi. Perhaps we can learn sushi art and make them into cute little cats and stuff.

Sushi is easy to make. It just takes forever.

Patience is not a virtue I have for food. It would end with me stabbing the attempted roll with chop sticks and using my face as a vacuum.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Japan. It all boils down to calories in and calories out. People in Japan don't eat huge servings of food and are pretty active. The cities are fairly congested and people walk and bike a lot. It isn't necessarily the foods they eat that makes them have a healthy weight, it is the fact that they don't eat huge servings of food and don't sit around all day doing nothing while consuming huge portions of food.

Very true! Japanese people do much more activity and have different habits than Americans. I did research on refined sugar and in Japan they don't really have much processed junk. What I noticed is the portion size in all their food seems smaller than Americans portion as well.
    Huh? They eat TONS of sugar in Japan. They just eat very small portions.
    That was boggling my mind too. Don't they have konbinis and vending machines every 7 feet so that you can get your sugar and junk food fix? :laugh:

I often wonder about the lean body mass of the tiny people from these places. They may have a lower BMI, but with the small amount of protein they consume generally, they can't have all that much muscle. They just can't.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's a fact that America is a big country. And it's easier to get overweight here than in most other countries. I've been wondering..what if Americans went on a Japanese diet? Japan is one of the healthiest countries in the world. They eat a lo of fish veggies and rice and all maintain healthy weight. I'm subscribed to a couple on youtube who live in Japan and the wife is American and when she moved to Japan she lost 20 pounds without trying! so..yeah I would love to eat a Japanese diet. Would you?

I eat lots of veggies and rice already! I would eat more shrimp if I had the money.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    And for the morning, before the sake. ..

2ynnud1.jpg
    They have some pretty strange drinks in Japan, with things floating in them and stuff. I had one white thing with pink things floating in it, don't know what it was but it tasted ok.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Wow what responses. A lot of them a bit mocking.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    The other thing I have to bring up is the seafood is much fresher in Japan (obviously). I have never liked uni in the US, it always tasted like mold (well, I guess what mold would taste like if you tried it) to me, but I loved it in Japan, totally different experience.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I favor Okonomiyaki, Oyakodon, and Melon Pan. Pocky and Koala cookies are great, but fresh melon pan is amazing <3.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It's hard to do anything but mock when you have people saying that a "Japanese baby" literally died when fed "American food" because they saw it on Youtube.
  • tegalicious
    Options

I am stuck at home cause ice and Atlanta do not mix well. Sorry for having a bit of fun in your post *hugs*
  • perseverance14
    Options
    I eat lots of veggies and rice already! I would eat more shrimp if I had the money.
    I love eating shellfish on my diet as you get double portions of that. Makes me wish I lived on the east coast, would be great to live in Maine on this diet. :)
  • Territrek
    Territrek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Japan. Of the many things I have noticed is that their sweets aren't as sweet as they are in the U.S. Mochi is one example of a sweet that I think is just sweet enough. Also people over in Japan eat white rice. I never heard of brown rice until I came back to America. Nutritionists in U.S. seem to love demonizing white rice.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

In for ramune, pocky, and sake! Nigori sake please!

02138-kizakura-nigori-sake-lg.jpg
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    If America actually ate smaller portions and relied less on vehicles we probably would be a lot healthier.