Is a calorie a calorie?

Options

Replies

• otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    SHboss thanks that was informative and I appreciate it.

Britawatson my down fall is International Delight creamer with sugar in my coffee. I have two cups of coffee in the morning and in the evening I have tea with sugar. I only have one cup of tea., but I use four teaspoons of sugar and I know that is bad. The cup of green tea I have in the evening is like my little addiction. I also love the Weight Watchers cookie dough sundae that has a 140 calories. I am trying so hard to get away from it. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee and I am trying so hard to wing myself off the others.

I stopped drinking that flavored creamer after we had a problem with our refrigerator. Everything in the fridge froze, everything EXCEPT the flavored creamer. The thought that there is some kind of antifreeze in it made us stop drinking it immediately.

I read something once that said the secret sauce on Big Macs have an ingredient used in antifreeze. Yum! Maybe it's the same one?? Not sure myself as I have always enjoyed my coffee black.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Britawatson my down fall is International Delight creamer with sugar in my coffee. I have two cups of coffee in the morning and in the evening I have tea with sugar. I only have one cup of tea., but I use four teaspoons of sugar and I know that is bad. The cup of green tea I have in the evening is like my little addiction. I also love the Weight Watchers cookie dough sundae that has a 140 calories. I am trying so hard to get away from it. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee and I am trying so hard to wing myself off the others.

I stopped drinking that flavored creamer after we had a problem with our refrigerator. Everything in the fridge froze, everything EXCEPT the flavored creamer. The thought that there is some kind of antifreeze in it made us stop drinking it immediately.

I read something once that said the secret sauce on Big Macs have an ingredient used in antifreeze. Yum! Maybe it's the same one?? Not sure myself as I have always enjoyed my coffee black.

The secret sauce on Big Macs is Thousand Island dressing.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss: a calorie is a calorie.
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit, your body does not care where those calories come from

In terms of health: 1 calorie does not equal 1 calorie

"All calories are equal but some calories are more equal than others"

This is where there is a lot of debate in regards to what calories/macros/micro are best and in what ratio.
    Some people prefer low carb, others swear by higher protein. It all depends on your goal and how your body reacts to different foods.

THIS!

+3

(And I refuse to get dragged into another dead horse beating thread)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

In 2012, McDonald's admitted that the special sauce ingredients were "not really a secret" because the recipe had been available online "for years".[7] It consists of store-bought mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard whisked together with vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. ---WIKI
  • mccindy72
    Options
    yes, it really just is a calorie …calories in vs calories out..

if you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in calorie deficit, guess what? You will lose weight.

If you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in a calorie surplus, guess what? You will gain weight..

so yes, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie …

there may be a slight - very small - metabolic increase from certain calories over others…but that is petty much negligible in the big picture...

People just don't get it when we try to explain this. Because honestly, no one is eating all their calories from one food source. That's why we say it's about moderation. It's perfectly fine to eat at McD's sometimes, and have a cookie sometimes, and have some chocolate sometimes, as long as you stay in a calorie deficit. You will still lose weight. And most likely still be healthy. Because honestly people, no one is eating all of their calories at McD's except someone who is trying to prove a point. Most people are eating a fairly well rounded diet with a few treat foods thrown in there for yum factor. As long as you do that, in moderation, and keep it at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight and be pretty healthy.

I agree that occasional treats are ok, but I am trying to speak to overall health and not just a number on the scale.

that's the general point. You can still eat many different food in moderation and be healthy. I've eaten my fair share of treats on a regular basis, cook with oil and used to use butter regularly when I could still eat and I have extremely low bad cholesterol and very high good cholesterol. My iron levels are great. I'm nutritionally very sound.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Mostly, yes.

And the fact that the creamer didn't freeze simply means that its freezing point is lower than the other items in your fridge - that's it. Everything has different freezing points - that's why you can put booze in your freezer and have it not freeze.

Also - you know what else is in antifreeze? Water. You're not going to stop drinking that, are you?

edit: The last two sections weren't directed at you, McCindy - rather those whom you quoted. I just didn't feel like making two posts.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    yes...some are just more nutritional than others.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    One item has 20 grams of protien, while the other has 0 grams of protien.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My thought is our calorie goal is like a money budget. What are we going to spend our money on that day. What is worth it to spend our alotment. Donuts or oatmeal. You could get a 300 calorie donut or oatmeal with pecans and strawberries and spend probably close to the same amount. What nutrition comes from those items. Spend wisely. :bigsmile:
  • otillie03103
    Options

I know that, but read the ingredients. Not every recipe is the same.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What else could a calorie be if it's not a calorie?
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What always confused me is a calorie is a calorie but what if 100 calorie dessert has 10g of fat as opposed to 100 calorie steamed veggie dish with only 2g of fat??
  • otillie03103
    Options

In 2012, McDonald's admitted that the special sauce ingredients were "not really a secret" because the recipe had been available online "for years".[7] It consists of store-bought mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard whisked together with vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. ---WIKI

Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Pickle Relish (Diced Pickles, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate [Preservative], Spice Extractives, Polysorbate 80), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Egg Yolks, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Onion Powder, Mustard Seed, Salt, Spices, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Mustard Bran, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy and Wheat), Caramel Color, Extractives of Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protect Flavor).
    CONTAINS: WHEAT, EGG AND SOY.

What is propylene glycol? Well, it’s an ingredient found in anything from anti-freeze and engine coolants, to shampoo, to… well, the big mac sauce. Tasty?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Mostly, yes.

And the fact that the creamer didn't freeze simply means that its freezing point is lower than the other items in your fridge - that's it. Everything has different freezing points - that's why you can put booze in your freezer and have it not freeze.

Also - you know what else is in antifreeze? Water. You're not going to stop drinking that, are you?

edit: The last two sections weren't directed at you, McCindy - rather those whom you quoted. I just didn't feel like making two posts.

But WHY does that fake creamer have a lower freezing point?
  • otillie03103
    Options
    yes, it really just is a calorie …calories in vs calories out..

if you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in calorie deficit, guess what? You will lose weight.

If you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in a calorie surplus, guess what? You will gain weight..

so yes, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie …

there may be a slight - very small - metabolic increase from certain calories over others…but that is petty much negligible in the big picture...

People just don't get it when we try to explain this. Because honestly, no one is eating all their calories from one food source. That's why we say it's about moderation. It's perfectly fine to eat at McD's sometimes, and have a cookie sometimes, and have some chocolate sometimes, as long as you stay in a calorie deficit. You will still lose weight. And most likely still be healthy. Because honestly people, no one is eating all of their calories at McD's except someone who is trying to prove a point. Most people are eating a fairly well rounded diet with a few treat foods thrown in there for yum factor. As long as you do that, in moderation, and keep it at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight and be pretty healthy.

I agree that occasional treats are ok, but I am trying to speak to overall health and not just a number on the scale.

that's the general point. You can still eat many different food in moderation and be healthy. I've eaten my fair share of treats on a regular basis, cook with oil and used to use butter regularly when I could still eat and I have extremely low bad cholesterol and very high good cholesterol. My iron levels are great. I'm nutritionally very sound.

I agree health can be acheived with treats in moderation, but those who choose to eliminate them as much as possible, if not entirely because they prefer eating the healthier foods shouldn't be shunned. That being said, I have my own treats I enjoy, I make brownies out of nuts, dates and coconut, agave, etc. To me it's important to know every ingredient in what I am putting in my body. That doesn't make me unable to control myself around sweet treats, if anything I would think I have quite a bit of self control in keeping myself away from them entirely.
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A calorie is never just a calorie. Sure you can loss weight temporarily eating 100 calorie packs versus a 100 calorie banana. The biggest difference is sugar and how your body breaks it down, or doesn't break it down and it turns into fat.
    Great explanation here: http://pacificfit.net/article-archive/how-sugar-makes-you-fat/
  • otillie03103
    Options

Mostly, yes.

Diarrhea has water in it too, are you going to drink that? Of course I drink water. But I can choose to not eat the other ingredients included in items. I am not trying to tell people what to do with their bodies, I said it works for me.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough the average food consumption a day for healthy and fit people is 3-5 pounds. If you could actually handle eating 3-5 pounds of chocolate a day so your body feels full...Yikes! One the other hand if you eat enough chocolate to hit your TDEE and nothing else, you are going to get very hungry. So a calorie is a calorie but that is only one side of the coin. The other side is food density. Finding the balance between the two is part of eating healthy.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Big Mac Sauce:
    Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Pickle Relish (Diced Pickles, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Potassium
    Sorbate [Preservative], Spice Extractives, Polysorbate 80), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Egg Yolks, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Onion Powder, Mustard Seed, Salt,
    Spices, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Mustard Bran, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy and Wheat),
    Caramel Color, Extractives of Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protect Flavor).
    Source: http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Kraft Thousand Island Dressing:
    Ingredients: SOYBEAN OIL, TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), VINEGAR, SUGAR, WATER, CHOPPED PICKLES, EGG YOLKS, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL FLAVOR, MUSTARD FLOUR, DRIED ONIONS, XANTHAN GUM, DRIED RED BELL PEPPERS, CITRIC ACID, PAPRIKA, OLEORESIN TURMERIC, POTASSIUM SORBATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR).
    Source: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products/ProductInfoDisplay.aspx?siteid=1&product=2100064473
  • otillie03103
    Options

Big Mac Sauce:
    Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Pickle Relish (Diced Pickles, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Potassium
    Sorbate [Preservative], Spice Extractives, Polysorbate 80), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Egg Yolks, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Onion Powder, Mustard Seed, Salt,
    Spices, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Mustard Bran, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy and Wheat),
    Caramel Color, Extractives of Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protect Flavor).
    Source: http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Kraft Thousand Island Dressing:
    Ingredients: SOYBEAN OIL, TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), VINEGAR, SUGAR, WATER, CHOPPED PICKLES, EGG YOLKS, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL FLAVOR, MUSTARD FLOUR, DRIED ONIONS, XANTHAN GUM, DRIED RED BELL PEPPERS, CITRIC ACID, PAPRIKA, OLEORESIN TURMERIC, POTASSIUM SORBATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR).
    Source: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products/ProductInfoDisplay.aspx?siteid=1&product=2100064473

Not all brands use the same ingredients. Does McDonald's use Kraft brand??