Are people helpless in controling their weight?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    really? Like people need another excuse....

shakes head....
  • tanya203
    tanya203 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As can be diabetes, and a number of other ailments. That's no excuse not to do anything about it or try to prevent it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Well, sure, if you feed people only 600 calories you're going to make their body react as if they've been starved. They *have* been starved. How much muscle mass did they lose on this "diet?" We all know if you lose muscle mass your metabolism goes down and it makes it easier for you to regain weight.

If he had studied normal, slow weight loss we might not be having this conversation.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    People love to believe they're helpless.

When they take responsibility for what they eat by logging it, stop blaming outside forces for their weight gain (people, places, things), stop being impatient (it's been four days, why haven't I lost ten pounds? my body must be special), when they eat at a deficit, and stay consistent, they end up in the Success Stories forum.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I don't know of other people are, but I know I am definitely not. That's all that matters, and this is the body I've got. I made it chubby, I can make it fit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    No way! I'm proof that fat cells might be inherited but that I have control over my weight. Look at my ticker below. I made me fat and now I made me un-fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So people who were forced to eat a liquid diet of 600 calories regained their weight? No kidding. Of COURSE they became obsessed with food (dreaming of it). OF COURSE their metabolisms were damaged.

They didn't learn anything. They didn't learn to eat reasonable portions, adequate macro and micro nutrient balances, to find exercise they enjoy so they'd stick with it for the health benefits, to control hunger, to differentiate between boredom, the desire to eat for emotional reasons and hunger.

Also both my parents were obese. I have never been.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Nope. But it seems you are still looking for excuses OP. :ohwell:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll grant that genetics can play a factor but it's no different than having any other medical condition like PCOS or diabetes or thyroid imbalances, IMHO. And by that I mean, it may make the process of weight loss and maintenance a bit more difficult than someone who is "normal" but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

And for the record I have some experience with this. Most of my family is obese/overweight (and many suffer with health issues because of it) - and I even used genetics as a convenient excuse - but obviously I was able to overcome and I think most people could if they just put the effort in.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Nope. But it seems you are still looking for excuses OP. :ohwell:

I don't have any excuses. I will hit my goal in a month or two. I am just pointing out that the genetic deck maybe stacked against certain people, based on the metabolism that they inherited. It is a somewhat sobering article. You must have missed the point. Not surprising.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mtwax1Xr5i1sic2lmo1_500.gif

people aren't helpless...they like to think they are because that's easy. what it boils down to is learning how to eat...learning what your body requires in RE to energy balance to maintain at a given activity level. That is one of the reasons that pretty much any fad diet doesn't work long run...you don't learn anything...you eat a certain way for a certain amount of time and then you're done and you resume life as "normal".

For sustained success you have to actually learn how to properly fuel your body and make nutrition and fitness an intricate part of your life...for life...as in forever...as in it has to be a life long endeavor...as in there is no finish line...as in you are never done. That's where most people go wrong...they're always looking towards that finish line so they can just be done with this nutrition and exercise bull ****...thus they just end up back at the same place they started.

and yes, certain genetic factors can stack the deck against you...but this can be overcome. I have a number of genetic factors stacked up against me and at the moment I am beating them all with proper diet and exercise.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    And yet they never answer why human beings only started inheriting all this fat in the last 30 or so years on an epidemic scale.

The reason the majority of human beings today fail at losing weight, or keeping it off after losing, regardless of what plan they use, including "lifestyle changes", is because so many of the world's citizens live in overfed societies where tasty, cheap food is readily available. They eventually crack under the pressure of being "different", and fall right back into old habits.

Let a famine sweep through and come talk to me then about "inherited obesity"
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

If he had studied normal, slow weight loss we might not be having this conversation.

"Normal, slow weight loss" has been studied.

That method has the same abysmal regain rate as quick, fast, low calorie.

None of the current methods of weight loss lead to lasting change in the vast majority of people. Call it a lifestyle change, slow and steady wins the race, etc, it all leads to the same road for the overwhelming majority of people.

Fat and fat again.

That's why the concentration has to be on a total and complete mind change AFTER the weight is gone, because how you lost it is proving to matter so little.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I believe genes can have some impact, but in the scheme of things, it's probably pretty small. My family/relatives are all overweight/obese. I was on the same path until I said 'screw that' and now here I am, with 17% bf and in the best health of my life. And I've stopped my progression towards type 2 diabetes by losing the weight, and getting my glucose number back down in the normal range.

I take it to mean that some of us just have to be a bit more diligent than others, who have a different family tree.

Eta: the author of this article has a really great book out also, called Rethinking Thin. It really changed how I looked at weight loss and long term maintenance. I highly recommend it!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mtwax1Xr5i1sic2lmo1_500.gif

people aren't helpless...they like to think they are because that's easy. what it boils down to is learning how to eat...learning what your body requires in RE to energy balance to maintain at a given activity level. That is one of the reasons that pretty much any fad diet doesn't work long run...you don't learn anything...you eat a certain way for a certain amount of time and then you're done and you resume life as "normal".

For sustained success you have to actually learn how to properly fuel your body and make nutrition and fitness an intricate part of your life...for life...as in forever...as in it has to be a life long endeavor...as in there is no finish line...as in you are never done. That's where most people go wrong...they're always looking towards that finish line so they can just be done with this nutrition and exercise bull ****...thus they just end up back at the same place they started.

and yes, certain genetic factors can stack the deck against you...but this can be overcome. I have a number of genetic factors stacked up against me and at the moment I am beating them all with proper diet and exercise.

This - I can't blame my weight on my mother (who was overweight and had many health issues) I have to look in the mirror and admit what a dumb a** I was all the yrs I didn't do anything about my weight or tried gimmicks and fad diets.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Heredity is not destiny.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Well, sure, if you feed people only 600 calories you're going to make their body react as if they've been starved. They *have* been starved. How much muscle mass did they lose on this "diet?" We all know if you lose muscle mass your metabolism goes down and it makes it easier for you to regain weight.

^ this.

The study didn't show what happens when obese people lose weight. It showed what happened when obese people were starved. This would be why the general consensus here on MFP is no less than 1200. And you will hear a lot of folks saying even 1200 calories a day isnt' enough.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    post-18141-Wednesday-Adams-Ill-be-the-vic-81j7.gif
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Not reading link, but I will go ahead and go with "no," as I have been maintaining my weight loss for two years. I am doing a bang up job at controlling it. :drinker: