Are people helpless in controling their weight?

Options

Replies

• Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Frick, I wish! seeing as my mom is 118 pounds :laugh:
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    It was worth a page of ignorant trolls who "smile quietly" to get to page 2 and intelligent posts like yours. Amazing how so many people have difficulty reading anything more than a twitter tweet and can fail to understand a well written article with scientific references.

Oh. Okay.
    Well no one can discount that genetic factors play a huge role in obesity. But that is far from the only determining factor. While those with the genetic propensity toward obesity may likely have to be more diligent in their diet and activity levels, there are also learned behaviors as well which cannot be overlooked. In fact, some scientists are even beginning to wonder if poor habits leading to obesity are difficult to change due to the degree to which they are practiced without deliberate action, while lifestyle changes require constant conscious choice. The rather nascent science of automaticity is only beginning to investigate the possibility incorporating new healthier behaviors into patients' lives by making them more automatic. This is something that, while intriguing, may raise ethical questions.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S147101531100081X

This is only one other contributing factor but it's the one that intrigues me the most. And now I'm done, not because I'm an idiot but because you're a jerk.

And please feel free to go on your merry way as the discussion is clearly above your pay grade. The article references several studies which show the genetic connection to obesity. Its not the only answer, but a huge factor in explaining why so few people who are overweight can sustain their weight loss. Is that so controversial or difficult to understand? Perhaps for some. Read these forums if you doubt it. Clearly there is a metabolic quotient (?) that seems to be significantly different from person to person that may make long term possible difficult/impossible for some beyond the environmental ones.

You keep saying the same thing and we keep saying the same other thing and even though I know you made this thread to get a rise out of us, I'm just going to say:

We've read these forums. Some of us for many many years. If you think you can use any group of related posts to confirm or deny any of your claims, well good luck with that. Anyone who comes in here and acts the way you are acting is going to get his or her hat handed to him.

Continue to be rude and argumentative, and that's what you will get in return. Post threads with titles and claims like this one and expect pictures and arguments. Attack long-time intelligent members and find yourself on the "other" end of friendly.

Better to come in expecting the best rather than the worst.

We eagerly await your next attempt at proving your non-point.

Actually I have cited 4 scientific articles that address the issue. Your narrow viewpoint on what you read on a forum is not really compelling evidence to the contrary. And continuing to be argumentative "that my brother this", or "my sister that", is really not convincing evidence to dispute the fact that there are serious genetic reasons that may make real weight loss impossible for some. /how many people fail in ongoing weight loss 95%??? They are not all fat slobs who lack will power. There are genetic, chemical, and biological reasons that underly the problem.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    OP if you are actually looking for a discussion with this (discussion including opposing points of views), then maybe you should stop insulting everyone.

You may want to go back to the beginning to get an accurate count of who is being insulted. Blame the instigator not the retaliator. I've yet to see one single post that refutes the idea of a very strong genetic component. Unless you consider smart *kitten* memes, gifs, and personal insults to be evidence.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Okay doctor:

You're not getting it.

Take away people's inability to over-eat by taking away their food, and no genetics in the history of the universe will prevent them from losing weight. And rapidly, at that.

The only way to argue that genes are the problem is by arguing people do not, in fact, have free will.
    ignorance is bliss............

Name calling.

Beautiful.

Sure sign of a strong argument. :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    It was worth a page of ignorant trolls who "smile quietly" to get to page 2 and intelligent posts like yours. Amazing how so many people have difficulty reading anything more than a twitter tweet and can fail to understand a well written article with scientific references.

Oh. Okay.
    Well no one can discount that genetic factors play a huge role in obesity. But that is far from the only determining factor. While those with the genetic propensity toward obesity may likely have to be more diligent in their diet and activity levels, there are also learned behaviors as well which cannot be overlooked. In fact, some scientists are even beginning to wonder if poor habits leading to obesity are difficult to change due to the degree to which they are practiced without deliberate action, while lifestyle changes require constant conscious choice. The rather nascent science of automaticity is only beginning to investigate the possibility incorporating new healthier behaviors into patients' lives by making them more automatic. This is something that, while intriguing, may raise ethical questions.

This is only one other contributing factor but it's the one that intrigues me the most. And now I'm done, not because I'm an idiot but because you're a jerk.

And please feel free to go on your merry way as the discussion is clearly above your pay grade. The article references several studies which show the genetic connection to obesity. Its not the only answer, but a huge factor in explaining why so few people who are overweight can sustain their weight loss. Is that so controversial or difficult to understand? Perhaps for some. Read these forums if you doubt it. Clearly there is a metabolic quotient (?) that seems to be significantly different from person to person that may make long term possible difficult/impossible for some beyond the environmental ones.

You keep saying the same thing and we keep saying the same other thing and even though I know you made this thread to get a rise out of us, I'm just going to say:

We've read these forums. Some of us for many many years. If you think you can use any group of related posts to confirm or deny any of your claims, well good luck with that. Anyone who comes in here and acts the way you are acting is going to get his or her hat handed to him.

Continue to be rude and argumentative, and that's what you will get in return. Post threads with titles and claims like this one and expect pictures and arguments. Attack long-time intelligent members and find yourself on the "other" end of friendly.

Actually I have cited 4 scientific articles that address the issue. Your narrow viewpoint on what you read on a forum is not really compelling evidence to the contrary. And continuing to be argumentative "that my brother this", or "my sister that", is really not convincing evidence to dispute the fact that there are serious genetic reasons that may make real weight loss impossible for some. /how many people fail in ongoing weight loss 95%??? They are not all fat slobs who lack will power. There are genetic, chemical, and biological reasons that underly the problem.

Thing is, we've read your links. And a lot of other ones. Believe it or not, we do know how to read. Your ability to google has not gone unrecognized. Great job.

Now try applying what you read.

We'll wait.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think most people accept there is a genetic component to body shape.
    Yes, Some people are more prone to weight gain than others, due to genetic factors.

But that doesn't equate to people being 'helpless to control weight' as your thread title says.

No amount of exercise and healthy eating is going to transform me into a petite bean pole - but it is going to make me within the healthy weight range for my height and build.

Everyone can work with what they have got and everyone can control their weight - there is not a gene that makes it impossible to lose weight.

Here is article that discusses the "genes" involved in obesity.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/19/news-genes-idd-in-obesity-how-much-of-weight-is-genetic/

*shrugs* maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I don't pretend to know more than doctors and scientists.

BUT...

being a stubborn young lady that I am, I'd like to think that I transcend science. Yes, I break physics. My pops essentially told me I didn't have "the build" to lift weights, that at best I'd seriously injure myself and at worst I'd break in half. Well here I am, chillin like a villian in the weight room and neither of those have happened yet. So til it does, I shall continue to buck what people tell me is "right." I think the same goes for people looking to lose weight. If you tell yourself you can't before you even start, then you've already lost the battle. But if you're stubborn and say "by golly jimmy gee ima break science and do it anyway" then at least you can say you tried.

Good luck with whatever you're getting at OP:flowerforyou:
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    it seems like obesity is not what is being passed down. It's bad eating habits. It's the thought that you can sit around all day and never exercise, but still eat as much as you want. Genetics may play a role in metabolism or diseases such as diabetes and hypothyroidism, but a little personal responsibility goes a long way.

Beautifully said!!! I completely agree!
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

Oh. Okay.

Thing is, we've read your links. And a lot of other ones. Believe it or not, we do know how to read. Your ability to google has not gone unrecognized. Great job.

We'll wait.

Then please refute the point with the wealth of evidence you have acquired.

I have been waiting. Jump into the pool if you can
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Strawman.

The links provided do not make the point you are claiming.

Until you understand that, there is insufficient grounds for meaningful discourse.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Okay doctor:

You're not getting it.

Take away people's inability to over-eat by taking away their food, and no genetics in the history of the universe will prevent them from losing weight. And rapidly, at that.

The only way to argue that genes are the problem is by arguing people do not, in fact, have free will.
    ignorance is bliss............

Name calling.

Beautiful.

Sure sign of a strong argument. :laugh:

That is a really sound diet program you have there. When is the book coming out?

"How to Lose Weight When I Take Away All your Food" by Mr Knight.

Its not a realistic strategy for the millions of people who suffer from obesity and may have a genetic defect/issue.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

Strawman.

Until you understand that, there is insufficient grounds for meaningful discourse.

Yes they do.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Oh. Okay.

We'll wait.

So much more interesting to watch you drown on your own.

Look, these things are easily googled. That isn't the point. We granted you that there is "a" genetic link in obesity.

What we're saying is it is more psychological than your ATGCs.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    While genetics play a role in more and more diseases, it's not an excuse. No one is perfect. We all have limitations, but limitations are not excuses. Improvise, Adapt and Overcome ... This is coming from someone who went from 245 to 160, all before finding out I suffered from low T. Was it hard prior to my diagnoses, hell yeah! But, I still drop the weight because I was determined. Is it easier now being on TRT, hell yeah!
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

Oh. Okay.

We'll wait.

Look, these things are easily googled. That isn't the point. We granted you that there is "a" genetic link in obesity.

Far from drowning. And I would assert that the body of scientific evidence is showing that the genetic component may be stronger than the psycological and environmental issues for many people. Not all. But Some people are helpless in controling their weight.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Oh. Okay.

We'll wait.

And I would assert that the body of scientific evidence is showing that the genetic component may be stronger than the psycological and environmental issues for many people. Not all. But Some people are helpless in controling their weight.

Great. You just keep on asserting victimhood and we'll keep on asserting personal responsibility.

Helpless is the saddest word ever.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    But Some people are helpless in controling their weight.

I agree with the above statement exactly as written. Key word is *people*. SOME people.

But some of these helpless people have learned how not to be helpess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    You also get numerous other things from genetics, but you fix them. Somethings take a lot of work to fix, Being overweight is one of the most difficult ones. You do not give up and blame your ancestors.
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    You also get numerous other things from genetics, but you fix them. Some things take a lot of work to fix, Being overweight is one of the most difficult ones. You do not give up and blame your ancestors.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Strawman.

Yes they do.

You forgot to stomp your feet and pout
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Are people helpless in controling their weight?
    Definitely. All the people here who appear to have controlled their weight through calorie counting are just a lucky coincidence.