Why is diet pop bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    studies don't prove ish when it comes to diet soda...

Keep linking to studies and reports that MAY show something. In Science these hold almost no weight.
  • botanygeek
    botanygeek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Actually, research says there's a link to artificial sweeteners cause a release in glucogon - which actually lowers blood sugar. There is no significant effect on insulin or glucose.

Here's a link to actual research: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/12/2184.short

It's a small study, but it's just one that's accessible to the public for free.

(No forums were harmed in the making of this study)
  • wcboldt
    wcboldt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has been linked to everything from dehydration to Parkinsons. But if you need 100% proof, I hope you get it soon. At one time, they said cigarettes weren't bad either.
  • botanygeek
    botanygeek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ~banging head~

Yah. Science is hard.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has been linked to everything from dehydration to Parkinsons. But if you need 100% proof, I hope you get it soon. At one time, they said cigarettes weren't bad either.

How about you offer some proof instead of half-assed opinion alluding to you "knowing more" than others.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Some people think it messes with insulin levels; that if it tastes sweet the body thinks it is sweet so it releases insulin. Of course, that's not just diet sodas, that would be any artificial sweetener. Some people say the sodium is bad. Water weight keeps the scales high. Those would be the weight loss reasons and I don't know if they are true or not if you drink sodas in moderation. Of course,medical articles say caffeine is good for you one day, bad for you the next. Again, it is all probably a matter of moderation and how well your body tolerates it. You say you drink Diet Pepsi. For me, it is the cola that gives me problems, but not because of weight. One it is a fact that colas increases the rate of bone loss in women. You start losing bone density in your mid-thirties. Osteoporosis is not good. Think about it while you are young. I personally found another reason to give up colas -- after menopause they increased my hot flashes. Definitely not worth it for me.
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I chug the diet soda. Have been for years.

Just started doing the weight loss thing 2 months ago, and it hasn't seem to hindered me at all.

I say drink away...
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You know what else was commonly linked to "everything". Ingesting water! Oh noes...
  • wheird
    Options
    You know what else was commonly linked to "everything". Ingesting water! Oh noes...

The Black Plague was once blamed on cats.
  • delaney056
    Options
    Diet soda offers zero health benefits yet people can't wait to defend it. Sodium causes water retention. That is a biological fact. And that may be the least of diet soda's negative side effects.

Well, yes, sodium causes water retention. It also increases blood pressure. If you keep track of your sodium intake you should have minimal issues with either, unless you're super sensitive to sodium.
    There are many foods labeled "healthier" (such as Lean Cuisines and other frozen meals) that contain MUCH higher levels of sodium than a diet soda.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think I gave it up because of the artificial sweeteners - I eat real butter, real sugar etc - if i do so in moderation there is no need to give it up and replace it with junk
  • wcboldt
    wcboldt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It won't kill you. Drink up. I'll buy more Coca-Cola and United Health stock.
  • wheird
    Options

Again, no actual information.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you aren't a lab rat forced to eat tons of artificial sweetener you'll be just fine and lose weight
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

100% of water drinkers will die. That's sobering.

I'm not going to call it a health drink, but it hasn't been proven to be truly harmful either.

My guess is that people drink it for the same reason some choose motorcycles over cars--enjoyment. :wink:
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    I don't know about gaining weight on it or glucose or sodium...I just know that when I drink soda, especially diet, I bloat up like a Maceys Thanksgiving parade float.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Again, no actual information.
    No kidding. Argument by assertion and showing abs.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I myself drink diet soda. Diet Coke is my favorite. I don't drink it daily but I would if it was in my house. When I started my diet, it helped stave off cravings for the food with calories.

Now, why some people say it is bad is that supposedly, and I believe it personally, that the sugars are not good for you. I did see, but I'm not digging it up, that they have even been linked to cancer. But so has aloooot of stuff.

Also, it has been said to be literally addictive.

But as for effecting an actual diet? I have never heard of it being a problem. Like I said, it even helped me get past cravings.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Diet soda offers zero health benefits yet people can't wait to defend it. Sodium causes water retention. That is a biological fact. And that may be the least of diet soda's negative side effects.

Well, yes, sodium causes water retention. It also increases blood pressure. If you keep track of your sodium intake you should have minimal issues with either, unless you're super sensitive to sodium.
    There are many foods labeled "healthier" (such as Lean Cuisines and other frozen meals) that contain MUCH higher levels of sodium than a diet soda.
    But straw man arguments are fun!! :grumble:
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

My diet coke has 50mg of sodium a serving, compared to everything else I eat, it isn't bad.

Now if someone is drowning a 2-liter a day I can see where the problem is.