Why is diet pop bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I don't know about gaining weight on it or glucose or sodium...I just know that when I drink soda, especially diet, I bloat up like a Maceys Thanksgiving parade float.
    I imagine that'd be due to the carbonation more than anything else. Some of us handle it just fine.

Also, I think I just figured out where this ridiculous and fallacious link between diet soda and sodium came from.

soda and sodium.

double_facepalm.png

'Round here we just calls 'em "cokes" no matter what flavor and whether the gots sugar or not. We don't think they have cocaine in 'em though...
  • wcboldt
    wcboldt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's really good for your teeth too.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_mm4qchUGvu1qz4rgp.gif
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I'm interested in your responses to the sodium counterpoints.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    YES!! I have not read any of the previous comments. I use to drink about 6 cans of diet cherry coke a day. I gave it up and it immediately improved my weight loss. I firmly believe that the diet coke INCREASED my appetite. Now that I drink mostly just water, I don't feel the appetite increase at all. Plus there is so many chemicals in diet coke/pepsi that they say are so bad for us. Chemicals that can contribute to fibromyalgia and other icky problems. Yes it is really bad for you teeth, I've been told that more than once by my dentist!! It is a hard habit to break! I know!! Good luck! You will feel better after you give it up, Guaranteed!
  • botanygeek
    botanygeek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are these forums always like this?
  • ramsfan84
    ramsfan84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just want to add what I think to this conversation. I was an avid pepsi max drinker and still love the stuff. I don't drink coffee so when I would get back sinus headaches I would drink that to help. I also drink it when I need a lift. It has a bit more caffeine then just diet pepsi and it tastes better too. I heard all the people saying how bad it is for you. But it was too hard to quit. Then I read something a few weeks ago that it bloats you up. So I thought well I will try it. So I have been drinking water and some green tea and I have noticed a huge difference in my stomach. So I do think it does bloat you up. I had one tonight. So I haven't totally stopped drinking but I wait now until I have drank 10 glasses of water or so a day. I do agree that it does trigger me to eat junk food and it does have a tiny bit of sodium in it as well. I am trying to get rid of it. I'm not there yet! I don't think having 1 a day will hurt.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Diet soda offers zero health benefits yet people can't wait to defend it. Sodium causes water retention. That is a biological fact. And that may be the least of diet soda's negative side effects.

Coke Zero facts per 250ml

Calories : 0.8
    Sodium : 28mg

Yep HUGE amount of sodium there. Cheese has more sodium.
  • wheird
    Options

What do you mean?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options

What do you mean?

I think she means the OP asks a question. A bunch of people who have been here awhile and who are known to give good information reply with the correct information. Then a handful of brand new, low post count people show up and try to argue against science and logic. Then the "older" people start asking the "new" people to back up their information and the "new" people can't so they give off handed replies that make no dang sense.

Sadly, yes, that is pretty common.

That and the "OMG diet pills, VLCD, and unicorn farts helped me lose weight!" posts.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Do you mean how some people get sarcastic with their answers to other peoples questions instead of just informed answers minus the sarcasm? Yes. It happens quite often.
  • wheird
    Options

Do you mean how some people get sarcastic with their answers to other peoples questions instead of just informed answers minus the sarcasm? Yes. It happens quite often.

The first several answers were informed answers minus the sarcasm.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Please help me understand this. Diet pop is zero calories. I need a reason to get rid of it. I love my Diet Pepsi! Has anyone out there seen success with giving up their diet sodas?
    Good news is you don't have to give it up. There will be many who will tout it's "poison", that it's linked to obesity, that you'll get tumors, yada, yada, yada, but PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES show that moderation with is it fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am an ex diet coke fiend. Quitting was not easy... the headaches were horrible.
    It is bad for your weight loss for two reasons. First, the sodium in the diet soda causes your body to retain water.
    At 40mg a serving, other natural foods would be more detrimental with their sodium count.
    Second, and worse, sweeteners (including artificial) cause your body to produce more insulin which in turn causes your body to store fat. So even though there are no calories in the soda, it can indirectly hinder your weight loss efforts. Quitting soda is harder than people think but you can do it and you'll feel so much better when you do. Water water water...
    Really? Better tell that to the millions of diabetics that drink diet soda then. Causing insulin to rise in a diabetic would kill them.
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html

As you can see, you have many other options!

Most diet drinks (like diet soda or diet tea) have zero grams of carbohydrate per serving, so they will not raise blood glucose on their own. These diet drinks are sweetened with artificial sweeteners instead of added sugars. Removing the added sugars and replacing them with artificial sweeteners removes most of the calories and carbohydrates.

One good thing about low-calorie drinks and drink mixes is that they are available in several flavors. They may be a good alternative to regular lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, etc. These drink mixes are also usually sweetened with low-calorie sweeteners. They are very low in calories (about 5-10 per 8-ounce portion) and have less than 5 grams of carbohydrate per serving.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html#sthash.5Tkoj4u8.dpuf

Nice try though.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diet soda offers zero health benefits yet people can't wait to defend it. Sodium causes water retention. That is a biological fact. And that may be the least of diet soda's negative side effects.
    Most of diet soda is water. Yes or no? Sodium does cause water retention, but at 40mg, and consuming a substantial amount of water, this isn't likely to happen.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I love diet cherry Dr. Pepper. . . I have nothing else to add.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why would you want to consume something with artificial sweeteners?
    To have a "sweet" drink with no calories? Why else?

IDEA Fitness member
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell:

The TASTE of sugar sends a message to your brain saying it has received glucose, so you secrete insulin to sequester the sugar from your blood.

But there isn't any sugar, so it sequesters the baseline sugar that should be there, giving you low blood sugar.

That does several things. Most importantly it makes you hungry so you want to eat more food. The insulin dump also stops fat burning.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I was once a committed Diet Mt. Dew drinker. Loved the stuff. I had so many people telling me how bad it was. I was suffering from dizzy spells, fatigue, forgetfulness, and a few other things. People kept saying how the aspartame and other chemicals in diet sodas will cause the symptoms I was having. So I decided to give up my beloved Diet Mt. Dew. It was awful! But I got through the withdrawals and I didn't have a diet soda for over 2 months. A few weeks ago I noticed I was still dealing with the same problems as when I was drinking the "cancer-causing" drink. So I bought myself a 6-pack and have been enjoying them ever since. I have since dropped 6 pounds.

Long story short - it has not been bad for my weight loss.